Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Pat Metheny On Kenny G
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pat Metheny On Kenny G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Pat Metheny On Kenny G Reply with quote

This goes years back, but found the link on another forum and thought I'd post here as it always makes interesting reading.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that before. All I can say is, Pat Metheny...what a typical elitist jazz snob...lol. Those are harsh words, but I do appreciate his honesty.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't but help agree with the man. You admire a player, you do a cover of a tune, you don't find a photo of the musician and airbrush in a picture of yourself with your arm around the guy (or the musical equivilent). It's crass. See Uli Jon Roth co-writing with Paganini

If you were particularly unfair, you could point out that there are plenty of living jazz greats to play alongside, I guess the dead can't protest that greatly, and the people managing the estate can possibly see no further than the immediate popularity of Kenny boosting sales.

I can imagine some philistine being wowed by the "colaboration" and thinking 'Kenny can't have been older than 12 when this was written and he sounds as smooth a he does today.' Rolling Eyes

Kudos to Pat for being vocal about his opinions. You can moan about snobbery, it's essentially no different to Oasis calling Robbie Williams a fat dancer... except in this case the argument has more worth and is better reasoned, it's the opinion of a guy who really cares about music.

I like Robot Frank's approach to Kenny G's brother:
http://www.robotfrank.com/classic/photoalbum/four/more.html

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: