Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Anyone Catching Asia in Europe?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Catching Asia in Europe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Anyone Catching Asia in Europe? Reply with quote

Guthrie and the band should have already have performed their first show in Germany. I understand that it's something like a 40-date tour. Anybody in Europe who are members here going to catch Asia during this tour?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go see them when they play in Haarlem on february 10, but unfortunately I have to work that evening...
dave...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

innnddeeed i am going to see them in london on the 20th of march, very very much looking forward to it! is there anything you would like in terms of questions to be asked/ photos to be taken/ things for me to look out for?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave... wrote:
innnddeeed i am going to see them in london on the 20th of march, very very much looking forward to it! is there anything you would like in terms of questions to be asked/ photos to be taken/ things for me to look out for?

Cool. That's still a bit ways off. Man, that's a long tour that Guthrie and the band are embarking on.

Please take a bunch of photos if you can, make a note to get the set list, etc. I'd imagine that Guthrie will get his spotlight with "Bad Asteroid" during the shows.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll see Asia´s Show on Thursday 17th of February in Salamanca, Spain I live 300 Km from there but I hope to have the chance to talk to Guthrie. He is my biggest inspiration as musician.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo Garcia wrote:
I´ll see Asia´s Show on Thursday 17th of February in Salamanca, Spain I live 300 Km from there but I hope to have the chance to talk to Guthrie. He is my biggest inspiration as musician.

Hey Pablo, that's great. We're looking forward to getting your report. Should be a fun show. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
This Thursday ASIA plays in my country, Spain. And in particular in my town, really beautiful town called Salamanca, with one of the best universities in the world. A lot of young people, bars, cafeterias, etc... (You know, Oxford and Cambridge style)
Guthrie knows my brother Oscar, he used to go to the Bassment nearly every thursday and he used to talk with him quite a lot. He wants to contact Guthrie urgently. He lives now there, in Salamanca!! Is it possible that Guthrie could contact my brother before or after the concert? He just want to drink a beer with him and say hello from a very regular listener. He is going to the concert, obviously, and he might be a good feedback for the forum about Asia performance in Europe. He doesn't want to be a pain in the ****. He just want to say hello to him. It is a shame I live now in England... I wish be there Crying or Very sad
P.S. I'll give you his telephone number and you migh be able to give it to Guthrie. Remember, the concert is this Thrusday!!
Thank you very much.
Javi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Pablo,
I didn't know you just have informed about the great event in Salamanca. I was so excited and anxious to inform Ed that at the time I posted the earlier reply I didn't even looked to the rest of the replies. I hope you have a fantastic night over there. I'm sure is gonna be worth the trip. My brother is going to be there (no a 100% sure) but it could be cool if you can interchange a few words with him. He (and myself) is a quite expert about Guthrie's music. We have all his "underground" records, even signed by him and the rest of the Fellowship. I have watched Guthrie's hands flying on the fretboard several times at less than two metres from where I was sat down, for more than 2 hours and I tell you tio, It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. No doubt he is the best or at least (I mean, at least) between the top 5 or 10 in the world. Wink
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Yesterday Show of Asia in Salamanca was great, I have the Dvd´s of Guthrie playing an tone Merchants and a lot of his Workshops at Guitar Techniques Magazine.
But seen Guthrie Live is totally diferent experience, his tone and the way he gets in to Asia´s music it´s GREAT (I tried to say this to Guthrie later in my bad English but I don´t Know if he understood me...) Confused I think this makes him one of the greats, he still sounds like himself but gets involved in the music he is playing, EC,The fellowship, Asia,... Creating goog music.

I also have to say that when I meet him after the show ho looked a really good person, away from a lot of those Super EGO GUITAR HERO´S, that sais a lot about him. GREAT PLAYER AND GREAT MAN.

Sorry for my English,

Pablo Garcia

P.D.: I told him that I´m a member of this forum and that the work you are doing is fantastic ED Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Pablo! It's great that you enjoyed the show so much and you got to meet Guthrie afterwards. I'm sure the band is in a real kicking mode now, having toured already for nearly a month. How long did they play? Did Guthrie have his instrumental section performing "Bad Asteroid"? How big is the venue there? Thanks again! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
I just got my brother's feedback and as Pablo just said, the concert in Salamanca was amazing. My brother and other two guitarists friends went to the concert. He tried to gatecrash thru the stage before the concert but he couldn't contact him and obviously, he was, in a good way, "kicked out" from the stage. When the curtain opened Guthrie Recognized my brother at once; my brother was in the first row. They waved and said hello each other. The concert was very good and everybody fixed their eyes in Guthrie, with all the respect for the rest of the group who played fantastic... But everybody here knows Guthrie and we know that when he put his hands on the guitar and it doesn't matter what he plays is like sex, nearly prohibitive to watch... and hear! The sound was great in the enclosure, but Guthrie's guitar didn't sound, apparently, enough loud in the front seats. My brother said that it needed maybe one or two knots more to appreciate with total clarity the solos. However, they say the enclosure was design to hear better the highest pitch in the back, which it could be heared much better. Anyway, the concert was absolutely fantastic and Guthrie played with absolutely perfection and precision but it wasn't a big room for improvisation, of course, but we are talking now of a sideman of a great band like ASIA and no of a solo guitarist.
When the concert finished everybody went to Guthrie, to try to meet our genious. Hardly anybody knew this monster of guitarist apart of a very few. Once again, I have to say, that the English language in Spain, although it is an imposed subject in the schools, it is poorly developed in most of the spanish people and apart of a very few people, Pablo and my brother, hardly anybody could interchange a few words with him. My brother managed to become a little bit like a translator for Guthrie and for these "blowed away people". At the end, Guthrie and my brother, Oscar is his name, stayed on their own talking together. My brother wanted to take him for a drink to Salamanca, but he had to get the bus for the next concert. It was like I was really there... (My brother's words).
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Javi, thanks for the report. Glad that Oscar, Pablo and friends enjoyed the show so much. Sounds like a lot of fun! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Asia European Tour '05 Reply with quote

For those wanting to keep track of Asia's tour of Europe, here's the link to the dates:

http://www.asiaworld.org/tour_dates.php?tour_ID=2005sn

That's a pretty grueling schedule! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it is time for the italians to meet Guthrie. After this week we will experiment an increase of italian people joinning this forum Laughing
johahl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go and see him next monday when they visit stockholm. If he doesn't make me wet myself and drop my jaw I'm gonna be very sad (I have big expectations Wink)

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: