Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Cornfords Galore at Tone Merchants
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cornfords Galore at Tone Merchants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Cornfords Galore at Tone Merchants Reply with quote

We got a large shipment of new goodies from the good folks over at Cornford and TM looks like Cornford city now:

http://community.webshots.com/album/185066741xyQuUM/1

You also get to see the Hellcat-based wet/dry/wet Rig Of Doom that Guthrie will play through during the shows here in January, '05. That's the basic rig. He'll also have the full complement of pedals that he normally uses for his solo and Fellowship gigs.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drool*

btw, how's that RK model? Smile
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
*drool*

btw, how's that RK model? Smile
Ditto x 1000000!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RK100 is great! It's not the high-gain monster that I thought it'd be, although it is an extremely loud monster amp for sure. It's more of a classic hard-rock amp that I'd imagine is based on the venerable JCM800 sort of a design and sound. You'd need a pedal to kick it into over-the-top metal sort of realm, but it does have plenty of gain for most rockers. It's very open-sounding (not compressed) and the tone covers a very broad frequency range that lets a lot of midrange detail to come through. Superb amplifier! I'm really impressed!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Ed! I think that if you put 2 and 2 together (Richie Kotzen and Cornford) then you're BOUND to have a killer amp. Any chance of any sort of soundclips somewhere in the near future ? Wink
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a very fine amp. I was reading the Guitarist review and the thing seems like a total beast....definitely not sissy girly men...hehe. God I want one!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
....definitely not sissy girly men...hehe.

I've said this from a while back. Cornford amps are for studly players who go out live and ROCK. It's not for senile old men sitting in their bedrooms strumming an E chord and saying, "Ahhh... that sounds so good!" and then spend hours per day on gear forums talking about how great their amps sound and why one sounds better than some other old man's amp in a bedroom. And, of course, then these old men will spend a few more hours arguing about whose amps sound better and why... Rolling Eyes
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Schamby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Kindly Compare and Contrast Cornfords Reply with quote

That's quite an awesome sight, Ed! If ever I have a chance to visit the wonderful Tone Merchants Hideout, I have to remind myself not to bring my credit card or I'll be bankrupt in one day! Wink

I, too, recently saw the RK100 review in Guitarist and really liked what I read. The audio clips sound absolutely tough! My only fear is that it likes to be wound up a little more than I can usually get away with at home. I know that most beasts like this like to open up and breathe to really get cookin', but I also know that some 100Ws sound better than others at "senile old man volume," when necessary. Can you comment a bit? I'm also curious about that Hellcat combo, with the same question in mind.

I suppose I should really be looking at the Harlequin and/or Hurricane, but I often find that my eyes are bigger than my ears (read: always lusting after more amp than I can use--power corrupts! Twisted Evil ). Can someone that isn't looking for "performance volume" get away with a Cornford RK100, Hellcat, or MK50, or should I just accept the fact that I need to stick to the "old man" mode and look at the lower-end of the Cornford Spectrum?

Thanks!

Cool Schamby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: