Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Cornford Hellcat
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cornford Hellcat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Cornford Hellcat Reply with quote

As I am considering getting one of these myself I am interested on views on this amp - did Guthrie's tone improve noticeably this year at NAMM using this? Is this an "ultimate" amp for high gain work?
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg sounded awesome all week. i thought he sounded better than anyone else i heard there, although i didn't get to see the sun night show with henderson and hoekstra. you certainly don't need any od pedals or the like with this amp.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hellcat defines the Guthrie Tone more than any other. It's just a really nice well balanced amp with the right amount of cut, low-end, body, openness and compression. As Paul C often likes to point out, the channels are Vintage and Modern, not Clean and Distortion although the Hellcat does, essentially do that. The thing is Guthrie has the gain on both channels cranked to 2 o'clock and backs off the volume pot on the guitar for the really clean tones on the Vintage channel and on the Modern channel for crunch and in-between dirt.

The Hellcat has a very distinctive midrange character which has come to define Guthrie's wide range of tones. With the HSH pup configuration on his two Suhrs, he gets two great HB sounds and three great single-coil sounds from each guitar that will work for any sort of musical application. He certainly needs that neck humbucker. He uses it a lot! Both guitars really seem like a perfect mate for the Hellcat.

Guthrie definitely likes to crank the power section of his amps. The Hellcat would probably be too much for his Bassment gigs. He doesn't like to play too loud. He was rehearsing with the MK50 here before the Hellcat came back from the Asia rehearsals and he felt it was too loud and punchy for the room size and the musical application. He felt much more comfortable when the Hellcat arrived about an hour before the opening night gig here on Jan 18. For the Asia rehearsals playing at large auditorium volume levels, he had the masters cranked to around 2 o'clock, which is pretty loud. For the Tone Mecca gigs, the masters were set at around 10~11 o'clock, which isn't pushing the power tubes too hard, but they were getting worked pretty good at that level.

I really feel the Hellcat has everything Guthrie could ever want out of an amp. It's just one of those match-made-in-heaven sort of things. And it seems like that the new sunburst Suhr Standard is the same. With that Suhr and the Hellcat, Guthrie seems pretty set on his rig. Pedals and other gadgets will rotate in and out, but as far as the guitar and the amp, Guthrie is one happy camper. Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sterlingsilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a review of a hellcat 212 combo on harmony central do they actually make those? how much are they?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sterlingsilver wrote:
i saw a review of a hellcat 212 combo on harmony central do they actually make those? how much are they?

It lists for $3999.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be considered off-topic, but how does the Hellcat compare to a Rivera amp as far as sound goes? My main amp is a Rivera R100-212 (their budget amp Smile) and though I'm quite content, I'd be interested in checking out a Conford in the future.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edovinus wrote:
This might be considered off-topic, but how does the Hellcat compare to a Rivera amp as far as sound goes? My main amp is a Rivera R100-212 (their budget amp Smile) and though I'm quite content, I'd be interested in checking out a Conford in the future.

That'd be like comparing apples and oranges. They are very differently voiced. The Hellcat has a strong high-midrange emphasis with a lot of punch but silky top and tight lows. The Rivera, in comparison, has more of a mid-mid and low-mid emphasis with a more cutting top-end. That's my general description of it although I haven't tried that particular Rivera.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: