Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - $@!(^&%#@*!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$@!(^&%#@*!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: $@!(^&%#@*!!! Reply with quote

Ed knows what I'm talking about.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Now you have an inkling of what that Jan 19 performance was like. That night was pure magic. The Jan 20 Fellowship performance that will be chronicled on the official DVD release had a totally different vibe than the Jan 19 show - more nervous crackling energy and incadescent fire than the cool relaxed feel with simmering heat type of a vibe of Jan 19. The Jan 20 one's got some insane over-the-top shredding that I haven't heard him do on the Fellowship material before. But overall, that Jan 19 show is the one I'll remember the most. But you know what? You just know that he'll keep raising the bar over and over again in the future. Guthrie is just getting started and has long ways to go...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we lost a few posts here. Ok, I finally got to view the whole thing on my home stereo/tv, not just my laptop. Here's my thoughts:

I'm no kid or fanboy. I'm 45 and have been playing guitar most of my life. Studied at Berkee, played lots of gigs, had some intense private teachers, etc.

I am not qualified to hand Guthrie a pick if he drops one.

The amount of viruosity I just watched is beyond incredible. We'll have to make up some new word to describe it. I was laughing out loud so hard during "Rhode Island Shred" that my wife kept coming downstairs and yelling at me. The INSANITY on the Sugi was a milestone in guitar playing I have never witnessed before, and I've seen Guthrie do this very song, on that same guitar, before.

It's no secret that I am a Shawn Lane fan Wink , and for good reason, at least IMHO. Shawn could "drop the hammer" like no one I have ever heard before. When he was in his zone, there was nobody like him. Same goes for Mr. Holdsworth. These guys brought pure joy out of my soul in a way few musicians could. But now it's Guthrie's turn, and from what I have seen, he has transcended his peers, living and gone.

I am very happy to have been exposed to GG's playing. And I am happy to have a friend in Ed, a guy who's passion for guitar excellence is as great as my own. Thanks for the inspiration guys!

--Bob
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the server migration has been a headache for all of the forums on this network. But not much has been lost.

Hey Bob, thanks for the very thoughtful review. It's much appreciated. You'll definitely have to make the pilgrimage to the Tone Mecca the next time Guthrie is here. Wink

I do believe that Guthrie is on the cusp of something truly great. He is, in fact, improving all the time and will continue to get better. His potential is so vast that it truly boggles the mind. Guthrie has his own thing to offer. He's not a Lane nor a Holdsworth and Guthrie wouldn't even try to do what these masters did. To truly follow in their footsteps, Guthrie will need to find his own direction and trailblaze a new path. It seems Guthrie is well on his way...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Yeah, the server migration has been a headache for all of the forums on this network. But not much has been lost.

Hey Bob, thanks for the very thoughtful review. It's much appreciated. You'll definitely have to make the pilgrimage to the Tone Mecca the next time Guthrie is here. Wink

I do believe that Guthrie is on the cusp of something truly great. He is, in fact, improving all the time and will continue to get better. His potential is so vast that it truly boggles the mind. Guthrie has his own thing to offer. He's not a Lane nor a Holdsworth and Guthrie wouldn't even try to do what these masters did. To truly follow in their footsteps, Guthrie will need to find his own direction and trailblaze a new path. It seems Guthrie is well on his way...

Let me add that Guthrie seems to have found his soulmate in the new Suhr Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:

Let me add that Guthrie seems to have found his soulmate in the new Suhr Shocked

Yes, I believe so as well. With both of those Suhrs, it was instant love and he took to them like fish to water. And he's pretty picky about tone and gear although he's not anal about it like someone like Scott H or EJ or similar gear freaks. Those two guitars are just perfect for him.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was there that night. most incredible guitar concert i've ever seen, PERIOD! there are others who'll blow you away just as much with something different and basically one kind of a "weapon", but guthrie just keeps pummeling you relentlessly with literally an endless array of weapons (styles, chops, ideas) and you are absolutely knocked senseless afterwards. pretty overwhelming stuff. Shocked

the age of guthrie is dawning!
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have given anything to have been there that night. The DVD is by far the best thing I have ever witnessed. I have never seen another guitarist with the control that Guthrie has. I thought that the clinic DVD was the pinnacle of guitar playing, but this is a step above that. His technique seems to have noticeably improved Shocked Every performance was killer. There are too many truly great moments to mention here, but a few that stand out to me are: When he perfectly nails the first extremely fast lick in wonderful slippery thing and throws his fist in the air and yells "YES!!!", The solo on Erotic Cakes using the ebow (I think) which has an awesome egyptian feel to it. Rhode Island Shred was beyond incredible, can't wait to hear the album version with Bumblefoot on fretless Very Happy I loved the extended riff section before the solo on Sevens that wasn't on the clinic dvd, also the outro to Sevens is some of the best playing I've heard from Guthrie. There are so many other fantastic moments on here. The BEST guitar playing I have ever seen in my life, period.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:

When he perfectly nails the first extremely fast lick in wonderful slippery thing and throws his fist in the air and yells "YES!!!", The solo on Erotic Cakes using the ebow (I think) which has an awesome egyptian feel to it. Rhode Island Shred was beyond incredible, can't wait to hear the album version with Bumblefoot on fretless Very Happy I loved the extended riff section before the solo on Sevens that wasn't on the clinic dvd, also the outro to Sevens is some of the best playing I've heard from Guthrie. There are so many other fantastic moments on here.

Yeah, the flawless execution of that lick on "Wonderful Slippery Thing" and Guthrie's gestures afterwards is classic: simply priceless. Very Happy That's the best version of "WST" I've seen or heard to date.

My other faves:

Rhode Island Shred - the mind-blower that's also fun
Fives - the relentless shred piece
Sevens - the outro solo is quite exquisite, as you say

Have A Talk With God - the slide solo, the tapping with slide, and the insane trading of fours, twos, and ones with Zak

Hide And Seek - fat and tasty

Billie's Bounce - Guthrie shows he can bop with the best of 'em
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my faves:

from erotic cakes

wonderful slippery thing
sevens
fives
nuh-nuh

from fellowship

headin' home
have a talk with god (totally mind-blowing! Shocked )
billie's bounce
access denied

but every track is great and has something different to offer. i've been burning copies of this dvd for friends (is it cool, ed?) and they're loving it.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rave reviews keep popping up all over the net. A common comment made is about laughing out aloud in disbelief.

This DVD is so amazing. I laughed out loud several times because what he does is so stupidly insane that you can't believe he just pulled it off so flawlessly. Very Happy Truly a player who always keeps you interested in the overall melody. Great stuff.

Paul Warren - Petrucci Forum Administrator

The headliner was Guthrie Govan. Uh... I've been playing and listening to insane guitar players for 17 years now. Guthrie is the best example of a complete guitarist that I've ever seen. He has better picking chops than anyone I can think of (including all of the obvious names). His tapping is unique, sort of like a really advanced version of what Reb Beach does... but he uses 2 or 3 right hand fingers at a time, much of the time. It's amazingly fluid, especially for the pace and feel he employs it in... it's the opposite direction from the Helmerich sound, but equally impressive. Insane.

His style is what I would call unrelenting. I don't mean that in a tasteless sense, because Guthrie uses space, time, and feel extremely well. It's just that he seems to be able to do things that defy your expectations. He'll be starting a line at a high tempo, get cruising at 16th notes really smoothly, but then snap into weaving 16th triplet lines that are just ... FREAKING HARD to do that fluidly at those speeds. It's also not just up and down scales and arpeggios. Melodies, rhythmic motifs. He's the total package, as a guitarist. I knew he was a bad ass, but I really didn't know he was THIS good, or I would have caught the show on Tuesday night as well. The first set was a prog rock/metal extravaganza with "The Erotic Cakes" ("Mmmm, Erotic Cakes...." - H. Simpson).

The second was with The Fellowship... same lineup, but with a sax player, whose name I will also furnish at a later moment. TOTALLY different vibes in both sets. Guthrie can comp like Scofield, do the rock groove thing like Bettencourt, funk it up like no one I've ever seen, and he's a totally legitimate country, blues, slide, and jazz player. It's SICK. Guthrie is extremely humble and unassuming, but he is really going to change things for a lot of players.... he's going to have a BIG impact... as soon as he comes to realize that he has but to finish his solo disc, or start recording and selling the Fellowship concerts. It's amazing.

I think Guthrie is probably the best all around guitarist I've ever seen. And I've seen everyone, pretty much.

Cornford amps KICK ASS. Dude, this stuff sounds unreal. I wouldn't be able to easily choose between the 35 watt Hellcat that Guthrie was using, or the 50 watter that Jaime had, but this was GREAT tone... I am GASing hard for one.

If you have an opportunity to seen any of these guys, do not pass it up. Do not ever skip an opportunity to see Guthrie play.

Chris Ptacek

Got the DVD a few days ago, it's really great ! This country tune is amazing, made me laugh in disbelief. I like GG's tone too, really suits his playing.
Thanks for the DVD Ed, that's the third one now Smile

Pierre L in France

+1 Ed.
Thanks again for the DVD!
I don't know how any player, who has a clue, cannot appreciate Guthrie's greatness. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, for sure, but his chops, feel, technique, and COMMAND of the fretboard are undeniable.
That country tune killed me.
The two handed arpeggios kill me.
The chords he plays kill me.
How do you get that good????

Joe D in NY

I JUST GOT THE DVD of GUTHRIE.
This stuff is simply to DIE for. I totally appreciate your hooking
me up with this. I'm off to digest these lovely tracks and then
run home after work to blister my fingers into oblivion trying to
learn some of this lovely stuff.

Marc B in Massachusetts

And on and on and on...

BTW, there'll be a new video clips (14 of 'em) page going up on the TM site with highlights from the Jan 19 show DVD. I'm bracing for thousands of hits per day and hundreds of more orders. The Guthrie Machine is now churning! Twisted Evil
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no words...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: