Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - 8 finger tapping
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 finger tapping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: 8 finger tapping Reply with quote

hi

i was wondering how guithrie does the tapping on the first video
on the tone merchant site

cheers
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd all like to know how he does it.Wink He did slow down the process to explain what he's doing and he says it's a lot simpler than it looks, but we were still like, Confused

Guthrie's tapping is one of the most unique elements of his playing style. He does a lot of things extremely well, but his tapping really stands out. He obviously studied the techniques of players like Jennifer Batten, TJ Helmrich, Jeff Watson, etc., but he has refined the technique to the point where we could all say that it's his own.

And when you see him incorporate his tapping into his lines, it's so smooth that, if you weren't watching, you really wouldn't know when he's tapping or not. It never sounds like a gimmick when he incorporates tapping into his playing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real mystery of 8-finger tapping is muting all the open strings; even in Guthire's second guitar book he seems to offer no explanation:

"This is tricky"

... I seem to recall him saying; perhaps it is a secret he'd rather keep to himself?

... Love James XXX
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
I think the real mystery of 8-finger tapping is muting all the open strings; even in Guthire's second guitar book he seems to offer no explanation:

"This is tricky"

... I seem to recall him saying; perhaps it is a secret he'd rather keep to himself?

... Love James XXX

Well, he does use the hair band to mute the open strings when he's tapping across multiple strings like on "Sevens" and "Bad Asteroid". Lot of multi-finger tappers like Stanley Jordan, Jennifer Batten, Michale Batio, Jeff Watson, etc. use little contraptions on the guitar to mute strings.

But I've seen Guthrie switch to 8-finger-tapping mode during solos without pulling the hair band over the strings (like during the solo on "Fives" of the Jan 19 show) and execute it really clean. Certainly takes mucho control and finesse to pull it off so cleanly...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sterlingsilver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone who's interested here's the string damper that guthrie was talking about it could be of some use to us mortals. i suppose that it would also help with legato runs. maybe you could start selling these ed?

http://www.jenniferbatten.com/damper.htm
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sterlingsilver wrote:
for anyone who's interested here's the string damper that guthrie was talking about it could be of some use to us mortals. i suppose that it would also help with legato runs. maybe you could start selling these ed?

http://www.jenniferbatten.com/damper.htm

Hmmm... seems Guthrie's method of using the hair band does the similar trick at a tiny fraction of the cost of this contraption.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what is the point in buying something which looks like it would weigh ton and costs so much.

If you want something more easy to put around the neck, why not just a lightly clamped capo?

As for the 8 finger tapping; it isn't any great mystery, you just have to put as much effort in to right hand legato technique; like adding a completely new dimension to your playing and to get good at it requires twice the amount of effort than usual (of course).

... Love James XXX
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8 finger tapping stuff Guthrie does in the first video clip is actually from a Guitar Techniques column he did a while back on 8 Finger Tapping. I have the scans and mp3s of that particular lesson if anyone is curious (A friend sent me a zip of it a few weeks ago). I can play it somewhat decently. Still working on the pinky on my right hand though Laughing It's tough
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to do something like that years ago and gave up in frustration after a little while. I decided that it'd be too much time to invest into something that I really wouldn't use much. Pick-and-fingers a la Garsed is another thing I tried to incorporate and decided I don't have enough hours in the day to get decent at it... Sad
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it from time to time....mostly in a very linear fashion for extending legato lines.

However, when it comes to using 8 finger tapping for extended chords or arpeggios, that's something completely out of my league right now. My stubborn lil brain still can't function in that way. I'm completely amazed at how these guys can incorporate such ideas into their improvising.
johngregson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: 8-finger tapping Reply with quote

Aloha one and all!
8-finger tapping's something I've been working on for a while now. The scary stuff Guthrie does, especially in 'Wonderful Slippery Thing', isn't strictly 8-finger, but involves copious amounts of string-skipping. I find that lots of LEFT HAND muting works best - especially the underside of the index finger.
For the 'Sevens' major 7th arpeggios, I find it best to mute alternately with the left and right hands (ie when you're tapping with the right, you're muting with the left).
Hope that helps - happy shredding!
John.
Hero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:
The 8 finger tapping stuff Guthrie does in the first video clip is actually from a Guitar Techniques column he did a while back on 8 Finger Tapping. I have the scans and mp3s of that particular lesson if anyone is curious (A friend sent me a zip of it a few weeks ago). I can play it somewhat decently. Still working on the pinky on my right hand though Laughing It's tough

Sup Lar. Ya I sent you it. I can rip it up no problem now a days =]

I actually been trying to make up my own chord shapes use it and steal it for my own new technique in my own stuff. Learn something new every day.
damienoise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:

could u email me those? Very Happy
Speed Demon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Larry, could you also e-mail those lessons to me, please? Smile

I wanna get some hardcore pinky action in during exam leave. Twisted Evil
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I don't have it anymore. I reformatted and forgot to back that particular file up. Woops. I'm sure there are other people here that still have it though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: