Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Wow, the Selling Method of Some Sales Reps!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow, the Selling Method of Some Sales Reps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Wow, the Selling Method of Some Sales Reps! Reply with quote

I sure get my share of sales calls from some gear manufacturers that make the typical telemarketing calls seem tame by comparison. Rolling Eyes Laughing

And today, I get another phone call from a guy who called a few months ago about some guitar that he claimed absolutely "blows away" (yep, his exact words) any other guitar out there. He even pointed me to the website (which made me cringe, BTW) saying that he's their sales rep and that he's so impressed that he is even going to be an investor in the fledgling company - yaddee yaddee yaddah... And I'm just rolling my eyes over and over again through the whole telephone conversation, fiddle my thumb as I pretend to take down his phone number and get the conversation over with.

So he calls me again today, asking if I remember him about that "X" guitar brand. I'm now groaning, "Urrrrgh... here we go again..." And then he goes, "Well, you know that guitar company I was telling you about? Well, I don't know what happened to them. It seems they fell off the face of the earth." Well, I couldn't hold back then. I cupped the moutpiece on the phone and broke out laughing real loud! Laughing And he continued, "Well, I've got something much better now. "XX" Guitars and you won't believe how great these are. By the way, I also have these "XXX" amps that will absolutely blow away anything you have in your shop." Laughing And the guy wouldn't stop talking. So I just laughed through the whole one-sided monologue for five minutes and said, "Hey, give me your phone number and I'll call you back." So he reads it to me again while I fool around with the mouse on the computer and the sales call is mercifully finished.

You guys need dealers like us to screen you from people like these... Laughing Wink This is an extreme and quite comical example, but trust me, there are many more who are more refined pitching their wares that promise you the world.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Although I'm not in the sales side of things, I know a couple of reps and know exactly what you mean.

Please continue to protect us from their evils Laughing

Alun
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, it could be worse......you could be getting automated messages from Fender Laughing

but yes, your public service to the tone community is invaluable Smile
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wow, the Selling Method of Some Sales Reps! Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
You guys need dealers like us to screen you from people like these... Laughing Wink This is an extreme and quite comical example, but trust me, there are many more who are more refined pitching their wares that promise you the world.

I'd rather like to go into a guitar shop and for it to be like a Saville Row tailors where the fitter knows you by name and the like. Ah Mr Booth, rather chilly weather we've been seeing this week don't you think? How's the quest going for a blond quilt top 335 guitar? We've take ndelivery of ______ and ________ if sir would care to try.

For calls out of office hours from tele-marketting I'm polite but firm.. not interested .. no I don't mind if I have won a holiday.. if you will double glaze my entire house for free.. can save me money on my gas bill... thank you very much, now I'm going back to my tea.. thank you. click. Seems the more I get paid an hour the more adept I get at making the most of my quality time out of hours Wink

I have the power!
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda don't mind telemarketers....actually I welcome it. Only because I love making prank phone calls using these soundboards...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/soundboards.shtml

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: