Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Stereo amp + effects rigs
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo amp + effects rigs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Stereo amp + effects rigs Reply with quote

Looking for general opinions and experiences here, cos I know what a knowledgable lot you all are.....

At the moment I run a Line 6 Flextone, with the 2 XLRs coming out the back and fed into the PA (panned hard left and right), which gives really great stereo effects (I nearly always use tap-tempo ping-pong delays live) and these help to produce a nice wide sound.

How many of you out there run stereo setups? And if so, how do you do it? In particular, I'm wondering how you'd create a stereo setup similar to the one I run, but by using stripped-down valve amps like the Cornfords etc...

I was always a valve-fanatic until I switched to Line6, and now I couldn't imagine gigging without my stereo setup. So the question is, should I ever make the move back to small valve-combos, what would I need to get this sort of stereo setup but using, say, a Cornford Hurricane.

This might seem a stupid question, but I'm interested in how (or even if) the big players get stereo setups when their amps aren't necessarily stereo themselves.

Ed, you seem to have set up a few monster rigs....maybe you can shed some light here? Do you have to start looking at rackmount gear in this situation?

All responses welcome....
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one option is using the line out of an amp and sending it to an effects processor and then into another amp for a wet/dry set-up or a stereo power amp for a wet/dry/wet set-up. It's nice to have a dry sound and another amp or two for the wet effected signal(s).

Running two separate amps is also a good option. You can have the effects send of both amps go into a stereo processor (stereo-ins and stereo-outs) and come back into the returns of the amps. Having two different kinds of amps instead of identical amps is a good way to combine the sound of the two to create one really big sound. For instance, one amp could be on the bright side with a lot of high-mids while another accentuating the low-mids and the bottom. Combining the two would give you a very big sound. SRV and Adam Jones of Tool are well-known for taking this approach to create one big sound out of multiple amps.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: