Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guitar One Mag's List of Top 10 "Shred" Albums
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar One Mag's List of Top 10 "Shred" Albums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Guitar One Mag's List of Top 10 "Shred" Albums Reply with quote

Guitar One's "Top 10 Shred Albums of All Time":

1. YNGWIE MALMSTEEN – "Rising Force"

2. Racer X – "Live: Extreme Volume"

3. Vinnie Moore – "Mind's Eye"

4. Tony MacAlpine - "Edge of Insanity"

5. Steve Vai – "Passion and Warfare"

6. Joe Satriani – "Surfing With the Alien"

7. Shawn Lane – "Powers of Ten"

8. Michael Lee Firkins – "Michael Lee Firkins"

9. Cacaphony – "Speed Metal Symphony"

10. Greg Howe – "Greg Howe"

The only ones I don't own are the Racer X and the first Greg Howe album (which I have on order). I really don't listen to any of this stuff any more, but they are albums that made their mark. I'd also rate Praxis: Transmutation featuring Buckethead pretty highly.

Notice that almost all of these albums are their debut albums (or very close to the beginning of their careers) and they really haven't been able to top it or expand upon it much further (except for Shawn Lane and Greg Howe, of course) or have the same type of impact.

Discuss.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
scarified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite impressed that GuitarOne did such a good job of the list (I half expected to see Metallica and Slipknot in their list). However....

* Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
* Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss
* Richie Kotzen - Richie Kotzen

are notably missing. They should replace the Shawn Lane one (which is unlistenable nonsense), Michael Lee Firkins (great album but not really top 10 material) and Vinne Moore (just never got into it and Time Odyssey was better anyway).

Also, it beats me why they picked "Live: Extreme Volume" over "Second Heat".

But... I fully expect Guthrie's upcoming solo album to jump right into the top 10 when it is finally released.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought the list was pretty good, overall. Definitely more hits than misses. But I don't get why the Vinnie Moore debut album is #3 (although Daydream is one of the all-time great shred tunes). I also liked Time Odyssey better. I think they thought Shawn Lane was obligatory to have in there. POT definitely didn't strike me as a shred guitar album. I thought ML Firkins had a very bright future based on what I heard on that album, but I don't know what happened to him.

MacAlpine's EOI certainly had impact, but it's just unlistenable these days because of the horrendous production and the buzzy guitar tones. I still prefer Maximum Security over EOI, but I just don't listen to that kind of stuff anymore. I think the reason that Becker, Friedman, and Kotzen are not included is due to timing and because their albums really didn't generate much interest or excitement or have the impact or the influence as the albums on the lists did.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that list is definitely an improvement over what Rolling Stone or Guitar World typically puts out. Of course no list is perfect and they will always omit someone we think deserves to be there, but ti think that's why they make up such lists....to incite conversation or debate Smile
James W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Shred' is a pejorative term.

Being a HUGE fan of Shawn Lane, I certainly wouldn't give him the label shred, and would consider it disrespectful.

... Love James XXX
scarified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I still prefer Maximum Security over EOI"

Good call !
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
'Shred' is a pejorative term.

Being a HUGE fan of Shawn Lane, I certainly wouldn't give him the label shred, and would consider it disrespectful.

... Love James XXX

I think "Virtuosic" should be the term applied to players such as Shawn, Guthrie, Greg Howe... MacAlpine has evolved a great deal as well since those heydays of shred, but I can't say that CAB has really caught on.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarified wrote:
"I still prefer Maximum Security over EOI"

Good call !

"Time and the Test" is an insane shred tune. Shocked That one survives the test of time! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
but I can't say that CAB has really caught on.

CAB?

... Love James XXX
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
but I can't say that CAB has really caught on.

CAB?

... Love James XXX

It's another heavyweight chops fusion outfit featuring Tony MacAlpine, Bunny Brunel on bass, and Dennis Chambers on drums. Monster players all around. But I don't know about this kind of muscular fusion music, like the Vital Tech Tones featuring Henderson with Wooten and Steve Smith, Extraction with Greg Howe, Wooten, and Chambers... It's too musician-centric IMO. To me, a lot of this music just seems like an outlet for these talented players to stretch out their chops to their hearts' content without as much thought being given to musical substance. But that's just my opinion. Here's the info on CAB's first album:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004NRWT/qid=1110912628/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/002-6951643-5324830?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the CAB and Vital Techtones stuff but I can understand why people wouldn't as there are a LOT Shocked of notes on those things.

I think all of those projects have got melodic content, but it sometimes takes a few listens to get through the bombardment of "what the hell was that??" moments to find it.

Cheers,
Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
I quite like the CAB and Vital Techtones stuff but I can understand why people wouldn't as there are a LOT Shocked of notes on those things.

I think all of those projects have got melodic content, but it sometimes takes a few listens to get through the bombardment of "what the hell was that??" moments to find it.

Cheers,
Alun

I have the albums and like a lot of it myself. But it's like I need to be in a certain mood for it - which isn't often. The player-musician part of me appreciates it a lot, but then I have the non-musician/casual-listener part of me that just wants to enjoy the music and be entertained. I'd like to be able to enjoy music most of the time without trying to understand the mechanics and the theories of what's going on - as if I had no idea what scales, chords, time signatures, changes, tapping or picking techniques, etc. are. It'd be very interesting to see what Guthrie will be able to do when he eventually gets to play with heavyweight players like these.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: