Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Name Some Musicians You'd Like to See Guthrie Play With
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name Some Musicians You'd Like to See Guthrie Play With
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredfusion wrote:
Guthrie and Howe would be the ultimate for me.

Here is a good start to that ultimate vision:

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... That's a good one

Bay City Rollers maybe?

Seriously ... I think you would have enjoyed FZ's band Guthrie ...

As that's not possible ... What about Mike Kenneally?
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Govan would sound great with Gary Willis and Scott Kinsey. Scott Henderson doesn't want to do Tribal Tech anymore.

How about Govan w/Billy Sheehan on bass and Tom Brechlein on drums?

As long as nobody around here has issues with the fact that both Sheehan and Brechlein are Scientologists.

I don't think Corea, Sheehan or Brechlein go to any extremes in shoving their religeon down anyone's throat. How many Electrik Band albums did John Patitucci play on? Patitucci was always pretty up front about being a devout Christian. He must have been comfortable enough with his own beliefs as well as working with Chick Corea for a considerable run. I've seen Corea a couple times and had the good fortune to meet with him on one of those occasions. He didn't turn his gigs into a Scienology events nor did his religeon come up in our conversation.

The extent of Chick Corea's contribution to jazz and fusion hardly warrants turning someone's suggestion of Guthrie Govan playing with Corea, into a "let's trash Scientology" discussion. Corea is certainly entitled to more respect. Maybe some of the participants in this discussion are just such good guitar players that they would actually pass on an opportunity to gig with Corea because of their high principles. Better than Connors, DiMeola, Henderson and Gambale? Step right up!

How about sticking to the music and taking religeous bashing opinions somewhere else.

Kirk95 should concur.
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Name Some Musicians You'd Like to See Guthrie Play With Reply with quote

This is the garbage I'm talking about from previous page:

Bowks wrote:
kabuki wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
johahl wrote:

Maybe chick corea?

As long as the stuff isn't some Scientology-drenched crap like "To The Stars".

Now now Ed...

For only $400,000 you could become "clear" and then you would know the true meaning of the pastafagiolian chromatic dominant scale and how it relates to daily life and Sunday Sauce.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I found the answers in an egg and cress sandwich! Very Happy

Guthrie with Kotzen - Was lucky enough to see them at a Cornford Club gig, they did a great version of Superstition by Stevie Wonder, with GG playing the clav parts on guitar.

GG with PG - I hope to see this at the IGF this year! Mr. Green
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Vinnie Colauita, Eliah Levy and Bjork
2) Brian Eno, Stewart Copeland, Victor Wooten
3) Les Claypool, Terry Bozzio, Herbie Hancock, Mary J Blige.

Ther are loads more.. it's like:

David Bowie wrote:

Be a standing cinema
Dress my friends up just for show
See them as they really are
Put a peephole in my brain
Two new pence to have a go
I’d like to be a gallery
Put you all inside my show

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can't say I've had direct experience of what Scientology is all about, but I've had enough people whom I trust tell me some horrific things about it. I also know well-known musicians and people who know or have played with Chick Corea and they told me essentially the same things. I'm not going to mention those names here, but they were highly critical and told me that they would never ever work with him again because of that association.

And I bought and tried to listen to "To the Stars" record and found it absolutely unlistenable. But that's just me. Does this record taint my love for other Chick Corea works? No! I've got a lot of Chick's works from the first RTF album to his piano duets with Herbie Hancock to his earlier Akoustic and Electrik band albums. Some I like a lot, some I don't care for, but I have the highest respect for him as a musician. The musicians who derided him for his Scientology association have told me the same. They respect him as a musician but found it impossible to work with him because of that whole Scientology thing. I guess some people could deal with it and some can't.

Not many people (percentage of the population) see Scientology as a religion. All I know is that I thought the whole concept of "To The Stars" CD was juvenile and very distracting to the music being played. I also know that I'm certainly not the only one who felt that way. We are free to express our opinions here about how we feel about certain subjects - including artists' works. My main thing was about the album and the theme. I know very little about Scientology except all the overwhelmingly negative things I've heard about it from people whose judgments I trust and respect. So I'm not going to get anymore into that here.

There was already a thread about it on the Open Discussion section and I asked people not to get into posting diatribes about it.

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=45

It's an old subject matter and we've moved on. I won't get into it anymore so let's just keep the matter closed. I like a lot of Chick Corea's works but I stand by my opinion that I thought "To the Stars" was horrible.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Dig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Guthrie happens to be a big fan of Virgil Donati. That would be an
Amazing combination. The spontaneous insanity would be nonstop.
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Holdsworth, Marcus Miller, Dennis Chambers, Herbie Hancock, Jan Hammer (not all at the same time though of course)
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Okay, I can't say I've had direct experience of what Scientology is all about, but I've had enough people whom I trust tell me some horrific things about it. I also know well-known musicians and people who know or have played with Chick Corea and they told me essentially the same things. I'm not going to mention those names here, but they were highly critical and told me that they would never ever work with him again because of that association.

And I bought and tried to listen to "To the Stars" record and found it absolutely unlistenable. But that's just me. Does this record taint my love for other Chick Corea works? No! I've got a lot of Chick's works from the first RTF album to his piano duets with Herbie Hancock to his earlier Akoustic and Electrik band albums. Some I like a lot, some I don't care for, but I have the highest respect for him as a musician. The musicians who derided him for his Scientology association have told me the same. They respect him as a musician but found it impossible to work with him because of that whole Scientology thing. I guess some people could deal with it and some can't.

Not many people (percentage of the population) see Scientology as a religion. All I know is that I thought the whole concept of "To The Stars" CD was juvenile and very distracting to the music being played. I also know that I'm certainly not the only one who felt that way. We are free to express our opinions here about how we feel about certain subjects - including artists' works. My main thing was about the album and the theme. I know very little about Scientology except all the overwhelmingly negative things I've heard about it from people whose judgments I trust and respect. So I'm not going to get anymore into that here.

There was already a thread about it on the Open Discussion section and I asked people not to get into posting diatribes about it.

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=45

It's an old subject matter and we've moved on. I won't get into it anymore so let's just keep the matter closed. I like a lot of Chick Corea's works but I stand by my opinion that I thought "To the Stars" was horrible.

Yes Ed, To the Stars, right from the start, sounds harsh and discordant to the ears, it's truly difficult to listen to. But I saw Chick twice in the 90s with the Elektric Band and really enjoyed the shows and I still listen to a few of those CDs (and earlier Chick stuff). Maybe he just lost his way with that one or maybe took one concept too far...
stormcrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie and Andy Timmons.... Shocked

I would pay good money to see them jam!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormcrow wrote:

I've only heard bits and pieces of Andy Timmons here and there but know that he's amazing. What one album best showcases his talents?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
stormcrow wrote:

I've only heard bits and pieces of Andy Timmons here and there but know that he's amazing. What one album best showcases his talents?

Ed get "That Was Then This is Now" it's a compilation album with 5 new tracks, 4 all new, 1 live jazz standard cover. And it's these new ones (the first 4 on the CD) that are the most impressive, though there's plenty of older material on there from rock to country to pop to blues to neo-classical.

I can't wait for his new one which is all recorded and ready to go, early next year is the estimated release date. I'm almost looking forward to Andy's album as I am Guthrie's...almost...but not quite Wink
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would heavily recommend the Official Live Bootleg DVD........has a few of his best solo tracks - a storming rendition of "I Cry For You" deserves special note - but moreover is wonderful to watch an effortless guitarist at the top of his game.

Indeed, Timmons displays a lot of the "naturelness" that Guthrie does, albeit in a different style. Timmons is also a session player of some note - artists from Kip Winger to Olivia Newton John (!) have benefited from his chops, and overall a wonderful all round musican with "the touch".
stormcrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan- I second the "That was then, this is now" disc. Some great stuff on there. If you can find it on the net (you'll probably need limewire or something) look for the Ibanez 90th anniversary jam thing with Timmons, Gilbert, and Vai (it's quite a big file... 300+megs). Andy just destroys those two, it's almost funny. I think Vai actually shakes his head in awe during one of Andys solos.

owenvaughan- Im actually waiting for my dvd in the mail! Can't wait!
gumby3bh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbert. 'Nuff said. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: