Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie hi,

you mentioned having a problem typing the keyboard at high speed,
well fear not my friend.
just for this occasion i have concocted a couple of questions

JUST for you Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

( btw, you might want turning your metronome on, at about 180 bpm)

1) Do you think there is a chance you might replace sammy hager

as a lead vocalist in "VAN-HALEN"?

(i always wanted to know what people think about alex van halen's

drum playing)

2) Did you know SHAWN LANE personally?

3) Do you know DERRYL GABEL?

4) Do you think GEORGE BUSH likes BLAIR 'cause of his guitar playing,

and if so do u expect a new band with BUSH as a drummer?

5) Any chance BLAIR replacing you in "ASIA"? Wink Wink

6) Any chance "ASIA" will be performing in IRAQ anytime

soon? Rolling Eyes Wink

7) Don't you just love these EMOTICONS?

I guess it is time to turn it up a notch (220 bmp)

Cool I remember emailing DAVE K. once, asking about a certain problem

i had / still have.

The biggest problem for me when tackling a new transcription is not

the tenchnique but rather learning it by heart.

Could you advise me about this problem ?

9) Be honest , did u ever play "AIR GUITAR" infront of the mirror and

thought u looked cool?

10) Does eating guitar picks make u stronger?

I think this should do it for this "TYPING TECHNIQUE" issue

see you soon.

I guess this exercise should take you a couple of hours ,

so don't rush it "remember speed is merely a byproduct of accuracy"

PEACE AND LOVE FROM THE HOLY LAND
(AKA A FROMER BRITISH COLONY AKA ISRAEL)

ISACC , TEL AVIV, ISRAEL , THE WORLD
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guthrie, thank you very much for dropping in and answering that bold question! Very Happy it's good to know that you also have a sense of humor! Laughing

my next question is: will you tour to support your solo album? will you play in az? at least in phoenxi if not tempe? i'll drive up to phoenix, which is a good 100 miles or so away. best of wishes on the release of your first album! you must be excited as we all are!
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guthrie,

I was curious if you'd seen the Guitar Techniques Forum poll on one of your tunes: here

And if you'd been approached about transcribing it, and what your feelings were about the request.

I have the power!
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Hi Guthrie,

I was curious if you'd seen the Guitar Techniques Forum poll on one of your tunes: here

And if you'd been approached about transcribing it, and what your feelings were about the request.

Good work that man. We want tab. Cool

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.
Guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:

Scott Henderson in his Q&A is always talking about transcribing.
http://dhenderson.com/online-discussion/ScottHenderson/viewforum.php?f=3

Scott rocks. Last time I was in LA, a noble fellow by the name of Ari (the bass player in 40Deuce, Richie Kotzen's "I don't want to play any guitar" side-project) took me on a little guided tour of GIT, and I caught a glimpse of Scott doing an informal workshop on the subject of Albert King. It was really inspiring to see one of my favorite players getting all dewy-eyed and emotional about one of HIS favorite players...

kirk95 wrote:

What are your favorite Coltrane solos? What did you learn from transcribing his work. BTW, I am a huge Trane fan!!

Actually, the main thing I remember about all that was being a little disillusioned when I worked out what he was doing in "Giant Steps". I didn't think such a revered improviser would have so many premeditated licks, or repeat himself quite so much. Back when I was 16, I assumed that it was OK for the Yngwies of the world to follow that approach, but that jazzers were meant to follow the "Man, I just play what I feel" philosophy. (Also, it struck me that the piano player would have been a lot happier if he'd had as much time to get used to those changes as John clearly did. Sounds like he really got dropped in at the deep end there!) Looking at it now, it's a lot clearer to me that that's just the nature of the tune; partly music, partly circus trick. To maintain that level of energy over such rapid and bizarre changes, I guess everyone needs to "cheat" a little bit. Anyway, we all cheat a little bit, don't we - whether we realise/admit it or not?
Personally, though, I get more enjoyment out of hearing something like "Blue Trane", or indeed the later, more "spiritual" stuff...

kirk95 wrote:

How do you become so proficient in so many different styles?

That one seems to be cropping up a lot, and you know it never seemed like a big deal to me, really...
Short answer; by listening to them all - ultimately, it's all just music, isn't it?
Maybe we need to ask Brent Mason about that stuff Laughing

kirk95 wrote:
If you are not practicing with a metronome, what's the secret to developing such accuracy and speed?

To me, the metronome is something of a one-trick pony; all it can really do is stay in time. Something like a Steely Dan album is every bit as in time (maybe even moreso Laughing) but it also boasts such qualities as groove and harmony - so I've always preferred to jam along with records... Not knocking the more disciplined approach, it's just not for me; I like music to be more fun than that, I guess!
Guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news... the esteemed editor asked me recently if I'd be up for transcribing "Slippery Thing": I told him I'd be amenable to such a thing. Now I've just got to write the thing out, and I suppose it'll turn up in GT at some point!
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
In other news... the esteemed editor asked me recently if I'd be up for transcribing "Slippery Thing": I told him I'd be amenable to such a thing. Now I've just got to write the thing out, and I suppose it'll turn up in GT at some point!

Yay! Great stuff!

Hi, BTW, I'm another regular on the Future forums, and have been vainly trying to keep up with your Creative Guitar books for about a year (been playing about three years). I'm a student of James Went's - you know him, right?

Here are some questions.

If you could only impart one piece of advice to someone who aspires to having a fraction of your skills on guitar (i.e. being very good), what would that advice be?

Do you have a piece, or a style, or something else, on the guitar, that you like to play more than anything else?

How long, time-wise, did it take you to be satisfied with your playing abilities?

Given that my jaw hits the floor whenever I hear you, or IA Eklundh, or Jimmy Went, or whoever playing, are there people who have this effect on you?

Cheers

Fink
Guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
will you tour to support your solo album? will you play in az? at least in phoenxi if not tempe?

Let's hope so. As a random aside, I have a bit of a soft spot for Sedona - anywhere near your neck of the woods?
Greg wrote:

Would you ever do a G3 with Satch and Vai?

You should probably ask Messrs Satch and Vai about that, if only to hear them say, "Guthrie WHO?"
Greg wrote:

Would you consider starting a G3 with Bumblefoot?

Now wouldn't THAT be fun! Had an epic jam with Ron at the NAMM show in Jan, and had the time of my life...Cool I think the highlight for me was when we butchered "I Wish" (probably playing it in two keys at the same time, or some such blasphemy), only to spot Stevie Wonder himself waltzing past the Cornford stand mere minutes later. I think we might have played it differently if we'd known God was in the neighbourhood Laughing...
Greg wrote:

Do you like James Went's playing?

Very much so!
(Just for the record, there's another very capable Welshman on this board, going by the name of wrighty-boyo. Do they know each other, I wonder? )

isaac wrote:
ISACC

Thankyou for your efforts to enhance my typing prowess -speed may well be a by-product of accuracy, but sadly it doesn't seem to work the other way round Laughing (As far as I can gather, the most notable by-products of speed are black teeth and an unpredictable temperament...)
isaac wrote:
1) Do you think there is a chance you might replace sammy hager as a lead vocalist in "VAN-HALEN"?
(i always wanted to know what people think about alex van halen's drum playing)
2) Did you know SHAWN LANE personally?
3) Do you know DERRYL GABEL?

1) Very doubtful. Alex Van Halen, however, is a splendid and very distinctive drummer imho
2) That would have been wonderful but, alas, no - it never happened. One of the Varneys once mentioned that Shawn had heard some of my stuff and managed to find something nice to say about it, which touched me very deeply - at the risk of stating the obvious, Shawn was an incredibly accomplished and intelligent musician, not to mention a big inspiration.
3) Indeed - I've known Derryl for donkey's years. Fine player, ludicrous legato chops, not scared of jazz chords - I wish he'd sign up here and field some of those technique questions!
isaac wrote:
4) Do you think GEORGE BUSH likes BLAIR 'cause of his guitar playing,and if so do u expect a new band with BUSH as a drummer?
5) Any chance BLAIR replacing you in "ASIA"?
6) Any chance "ASIA" will be performing in IRAQ anytime soon?
7) Don't you just love these EMOTICONS?

4) I can see some logic in the notion that, of all the instruments out there, Mr Bush might feel drawn towards the one where you get to batter things with sticks... sorry, wrong meeting Embarassed
5) Not unless the money goes up!
6) Now THERE'S a place that could really do with some good gigs right now. Just for the record, I think Michael Franti (articulate and philosophical rap fellow from Spearhead) recently played there...
7) Rolling Eyes
isaac wrote:

The biggest problem for me when tackling a new transcription is not
the tenchnique but rather learning it by heart.
Could you advise me about this problem ?

Maybe Lewis Carroll can help; he once wrote "Take care of the sense and the sounds will take care of themselves". It was meant as a pun on the old adage about "pounds" and "pence" (UK currency) but it kind of works - I find it helps if your head knows roughly how the track goes before your fingers get involved...
isaac wrote:

9) Be honest , did u ever play "AIR GUITAR" infront of the mirror and
thought u looked cool?
10) Does eating guitar picks make u stronger?

9) Never felt the need - I have a real guitar, made of wood.
10) Eating Brian May's picks would make you richer, I guess - does that count?

Other Forum Folks wrote:

all sorts of stuff

Sorry, dudes and dudettes - more later; GT magazine are waiting for my Whitesnake pastiche... Sad
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Eh thanks for answering Guthrie.

I think you and Bumblefoot should start a G3 with each other, he said he'd love to Shocked
Steve Vai
Tom Morello
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
ibaneezer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guthrie, How's things? Hope all well!
Just wondering, everyone here really admires, aspires to be really half the player you are, well rounded in everything with a really modest approach and down to earth explanation of the things you do and quite rightly so IMO!

Just wondering who are the players that still really move you??

What do you listen to really just chill out and get away from "guitar based" music?

And, is there anything really, technically or otherwise that frustrates you when you can't play? Do you ever have "off days"? hehe. Are you really happy with your playing, do you still try to better yourself, keep on learning new techniques, tricks, sounds etc etc, or are you happy with everything and just let the music flow now??

Just wondering, thanx in advance.
mARk

p.s On your first post when you talked about rattling through scales at warp speed with a metronome was like, then you typed the alphabet.........hehehe you typed it wrong.... Laughing Wink Sorreeeeee!!
mARk
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever thought about releasing another instructional book? maybe one that focuses more on the jazz or fusion side of playing....I would love to see your fresh take on that subject.

I love your two instructional books......great licks...as well as a real fun, informative read.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about instructional DVDs on the fusion stuff!

I will place my order right now! Cash in advance! Wink
jason.morris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Guthrie *waves*

My question:

I consider you at the forefront of a wave of astonishingly talented, fairly young, rock/fusion guitarists, a group I'd consider to include guys like Rich Hallebeek, Joel Rivard, Antti Kotikoski, Scott Jones et al. Anyway are there any of these, or similar, players that you particularly rate, or other players "bubbling under" that you reckon a fan of this stuff should keep an eye out for?
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the status on this....

http://www.guthriegovan.co.uk/

and what do you mean "maybe"!? Mad Wink hehe

oh yeah, I too would be willing to give a cash advance for an Instructional fusion DVD

Wink
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guthrie I have a question, don't you hate us for asking all these questions?!! Laughing Laughing

No seriously though it is alot of questions to answer. Confused
Steve Vai
Tom Morello
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: