Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Can anyone recommend me some Buckethead?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone recommend me some Buckethead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Can anyone recommend me some Buckethead? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a good Buckethead album. I have Monsters & Robots, Giant Robot and Colma for a while now....and although there's some cool bits of guitar playing on there, a lot of the songs sound unfinished and repetitive to me.

I know he has a large music catalogue, including a lot of raraties and such, but I don't know much about them or what to expect...except I know that they'll be downright weird. Weird is good.....I LOVE weird but I also want some over-the-top guitarplaying in it too Smile

So is there a definitive Buckethead album out there where he goes all out?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge Buckethead fan for a while. Still a fan and I would go see him live in a heartbeat. He even came over to the shop a couple of times without the mask and the bucket and hung out for a while, checking out various amps, etc. I think I just got tired of waiting for him to really put it all together in a really professional manner, so to speak. But it seems he's content to be this weird underground avant-garde figure - which is cool.

I've got a bunch of his albums (or albums that he's on) - probably around 30 or so. His best overall solo album is the out-of-print Giant Robot NTT from 1996. My fave to this day is the one that got me hooked on him back in '92 - Praxis' Transmutation. As far as over-the-top playing, I'd recommend the two Cobra Strike albums. Personally, I prefer Cobra Strike II - some pretty insane playing on there. The first Thanatopsis album is pretty good, too, for a more fusion-like thing.

The guy is pretty prolific, but quantity definitely doesn't equate to quality. A lot of the albums he's made or plays on sounds like it took as long to produce as it took to play the stuff. The production is pretty horrendous on a lot of 'em and most of 'em I find rather unlistenable. Some stuff is outright gibberish. I've made some compilation discs out of my collection and that's all I could listen to every now and then.

I could send you a copy of the fabled Giant Robot NTT and some other stuff I'vve culled from my collection. I've got a bunch of bootleg videos on tapes and DVD as well. He's a great player and his weirdness endeared me to him. I actually wish that I never met him without the mask. The mystery was always a cool thing because his music fit that image so well. Buckethead stands for that dark, twisted and weird side that exists in all of us. He's still very cool in my book, but I needed to move on...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the offer Ed! I'd love to get a copy of that disc or whatever else you would recommend Very Happy And I'll compensate for the trouble of course.

I just purchased the last copy of The Cuckoo Clocks From Hell from Guitar 9. I read the description and listened to the clips and it sounds pretty insane....hopefully it wont disappoint.

I'll also check out the Praxis and Cobra stuff if I can find them, thanks for the info!!

I guess Buckethead is really like those horror movies he's a fan of.....they're a hit or miss. The only pic I saw of is from that Mike Varney spotlight column that's been floating around. But I do love his sense of mystique and anonymity.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Buckethead album I have is Population Override. I really need to get some more. I think I'll go with the Praxis cd. I would also love a copy of that CD, and I will compensate you also.

Thats cool that Buckethead came into your shop Ed. It must have been weird to see him with out his mask and bucket. Maybe even more freaky than seeing him with his costume. Laughing Seems like you really were a buckethead freak, geeze, 30 albums and tons of video clips. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: