Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - what other bands could guthrie play for?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what other bands could guthrie play for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: what other bands could guthrie play for? Reply with quote

no offense to asia, but it'd be nice if guthrie could play for a band that would better exploit his talents. i ran into this thread on the planet x forum:

http://www.xplanetx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000569

i'm not very familiar with their stuff although i know of tony mac pretty well. would this be a good fit? any other bands you could think of?
Mirth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine! Rolling Eyes
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really love to see Guthrie do something with Dweezil Zappa and play Frank's music.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I'd really love to see Guthrie do something with Dweezil Zappa and play Frank's music.

Which tune would you most like to see? For me it'd be Ship Ahoy.. or Watermelons in Easterhay.

I have the power!
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Which tune would you most like to see? For me it'd be Ship Ahoy.. or Watermelons in Easterhay.

Guthrie wrote:

frankus wrote:
1) Would the Fellowship ever consider putting their spin on a Zappa tune? say "We're not alone" from "The man from Utopia"?

1) That would be splendid! "King Kong" or "Peaches..." would certainly work, as might "Marqueson's Chicken" or "Moggio"...

I think Guthrie's on the track of the FZ songs I'd like to see anyone good cover. Margueson's Chicken would be awesome, as would Moggio. I'd love to hear some good covers of Approximate, The Purple Lagoon, The Black Page, Sinister Footwear (from Them or Us, probably my favorite FZ song AND guitar solo). Now that would be the bomb!
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Page was tabbed in Guitar Magazine in about '92 together with an Aerosmith tune and Voodoo Chile by Hendrix..

Sinister Footwear is not really a biggy with me, I'd love to hear Kaki King do a version of Night School... but for a really excellent version check out Ensemble Ambrosius' album "The Zappa Album" my copy has been played to death and I must get another. It's Zappa played by baroque instruments, my wife got into listening to Zappa from it.. and it's one of the few album's I feel comfatable letting my son hear without getting a load of awkward questions about anatomy and fetishes that I don't know if I'm qualified to answer Wink

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only person who bought the Ensemble Ambrosius CD! It is an amazing album, so if anyone hear wants to hear Zappa's compositions in a new light you really should buy it ( plus it's nearly Easter and there's a bunny on the cover Very Happy ).

Cheers,
Alun

PS Any idea where I could find the Guitar mag "Black Page" transcription?
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:

PS Any idea where I could find the Guitar mag "Black Page" transcription?

I'd like to see the suggested fingerings of the tabs, myself. I find, however, that most of it lays well around the 5th position. It's an intervalic cross-picking nightmare even before you get to the rhythms.

Anyway, it's not the tabbed one, but here's
page 1 from Keyboard Mag from 1987. And page 2.

Now get your metronome out and get ready to have some fun. Wink
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet x would be cool - as long as guthrie has his share of input into the material. i know it's derek sherinian's band, but he needs to realize that the age of keyboard heroes will never come back.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
[Anyway, it's not the tabbed one, but here's
page 1 from Keyboard Mag from 1987. And page 2.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Very Happy

I now know what I'm doing over Easter!

Cheers,
Alun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: