Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Instructional videos
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instructional videos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Instructional videos Reply with quote

What are the best ones?

... Love James XXX
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructional videos Reply with quote

James W wrote:
What are the best ones?

For?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson's videos Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Johnson's videos are pretty good. Covers a lot of ground. Been reading a lot of good things about the McLaughlin video, but the price is kinda steep for the whole set. The Brett Garsed videos are really good, but his pick-and-fingers approach is rather unique - I know I'll never be able to develop that kind of facility with that technique. Lane ones are good, but most of the stuff is just impossible to play. It's more for gawking and understanding the concept than really learning things in-depth. Ditto for guys like Holdsworth and Gambale.

I think you'd want to get videos of players who have fairly conventional ways of holding the pick, the way they play, etc., than guys who have rather unorthodox and singular styles. EJ has a pretty straightforward and approachable way in how he plays. And, of course, an instructional DVD from Guthrie would just kill. That is definitely a project that Guthrie should work on in the not-too-distant future.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Been reading a lot of good things about the McLaughlin video

What kinda' stuff have you been hearing about it? I looked at the demos and it looked kinda' rudimentary and simplistic. I'm sure it gets advanced, but I wouldn't want to spend $175. to learn the CAGED patterns again. If you have any links to reviews, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

Dave
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
Been reading a lot of good things about the McLaughlin video

What kinda' stuff have you been hearing about it? I looked at the demos and it looked kinda' rudimentary and simplistic. I'm sure it gets advanced, but I wouldn't want to spend $175. to learn the CAGED patterns again. If you have any links to reviews, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

Dave

I can't remember any official reviews, just what I've read from various forums here and there from people whose skills and ears I trust. I read that it does get very advanced over the course of the three DVDs.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably end up getting Shawn Lane's Laughing Laughing Laughing

... J
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Angelo's? *shudders*

... Love James XXX
OU812Manny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool it little jimmy
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max wrote:

Hi, I'm Max, and I look after the forums.....which ain't easy as when these two met it was MOIDER!

I must confess I borrowed that from Guitar_Slinger on another forum Wink ... Biggup the Guitarist Massive Cool

These are the videos I've seen:

Frank Gambale - Mawds Nah More Mistry? Um not impressed
Frank Gambale - Monster Licks-Speed Picking? Not watched it all, the pink pants and hair gave me nightmares.
Frank Gambale - Chop Builder : not watched it.
Fast Fingers - Advanced Chords : Not impressed
Ross Bolton - Funk Rhythm: I liked it
Emily Remler 1 - How can you not like this woman, she's cool and down to earth
Emily Remler 2 - More of the same.
Joe Pass - He's funny but he obviously knows the sounds of chords better than their names Wink

I have the power!
Will

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Scott Hendersons 'Melodic Phrasing' and i have to say i didn't enjoy it that much. Obviously the playing on it is good but it seems like he jumps from the very basic ideas into full scale jazz improvisation. It was hard to learn much from.

Its quite hard to find good instructional videos which aren't focused on the actual player. I've seen a couple of Paul Gilbert videos and it seemed to mostly be demonstrating how to play scales fast.

I recently got an Allan Holdsworth video and i really enjoyed it. A lot of it is the band performing but i was impressed with the rest. He sits down and talks about the way he approached learning the instrument and gives you a few loose ideas to work with. The videos obviously an advanced level but i loved it.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
I've got Scott Hendersons 'Melodic Phrasing' and i have to say i didn't enjoy it that much. Obviously the playing on it is good but it seems like he jumps from the very basic ideas into full scale jazz improvisation. It was hard to learn much from.

Its quite hard to find good instructional videos which aren't focused on the actual player. I've seen a couple of Paul Gilbert videos and it seemed to mostly be demonstrating how to play scales fast.

I recently got an Allan Holdsworth video and i really enjoyed it. A lot of it is the band performing but i was impressed with the rest. He sits down and talks about the way he approached learning the instrument and gives you a few loose ideas to work with. The videos obviously an advanced level but i loved it.

I agree with you about the second SH video on phrasing. It's only good if you want to sit and transcribe what he plays, from what I can tell he doesn't really go in to much depth about the development of motifs and stuff. I like his first one about fusion improv better.

Paul Gilbert's videos I actually like, but they're purely for learning cool-ish sounding licks to play super fast. You're not going to learn much theory watching those.

I've never seen AH's videos, but I'd love to check them out. As soon as I find them cheap enough (or if Netflix would ever get them), I'd scarf them up. He's a real inspiration.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the Paul Gilbert videos I was struck how thin his arms are.

I have the power!
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Watching the Paul Gilbert videos I was struck how thin his arms are.

Dude! I went to GIT in 1987-88. Me and one of my roommates used to laugh about that when we'd see him walking to school. Between his shoulder and his elbow was a length of like 3 feet and it was consistently 1 inch in diameter. Wink He was like an extra terrestrial in playing and bodily form. Funny stuff.

Speaking of odd GIT observations, that same roommate of mine was totally freaked out by Scott Henderson because, as my roommate said, "he smelled like cigarettes and Martinelli's sparkling apple juice". (They used to sell that brand of apple juice at the canteen).

It was a funny time.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the AH video is quite cool for theory stuff even if it is just him explaining how he thinks of music.

"when i think of a scale i think of all the available notes on the guitar, and the chords come from them"

The crazy bastard made his own symbols up for scales!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: