Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - where can i get the the basement dvd/cd?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where can i get the the basement dvd/cd?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: where can i get the the basement dvd/cd? Reply with quote

i have been searching the web but i couldn't
find any information about the dvd/cd.

i already got the clinic dvd

but i would like to get the jazz/fusion cd

plz help me amigos

btw:

go to www.guthriegovan.co.uk

our man is finally going to do the right thing

hopefully Wink
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PMs Isaac
Rush

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on converting the Fellowship DVD that Guthrie sent me to an NTSC version that will play on all DVD players. Guthrie burnt that DVD on his Powerbook and it's coded just for Macs, so I've only been able to watch it on my Macs at work and at home. I've got several guys working on the conversion right now but it's been a little more difficult and time-consuming than I thought it'd be. As soon as it's done and I get a working "master", I'll make duplicates made at a local video duplication center and start distribution.

Like the clinic DVD, it'll be $6 plus shipping just to cover the costs. I'll let you know when that's ready. As for the CD, I've been sending out a "compilation" CD of material culled from the two Fellowship CD's that Doctor Jazz sent me a while back. One's a studio version and the other is a live disc. I've been sending this disc out for $3 to people who really want to hear Guthrie in a jazz format. I've been burning it myself on the computer and really don't have a desire to make an "enterprise" out of it. Perhaps Doctor Jazz could get in touch with the Fellowship and set up some sort of distribution from that side of the world.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly make The Fellowship aware that people want to hear these albums and I'm sure they will try to do something to make these albums available.

In addition to the two CDs by The fellowship, you might also be interested in 'XI By IV' by the Zak Barrett Quartet. This recording also features Pete Riley from The Fellowship on drums.

All three are worth having. Keep an eye on the board for more details.
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the fellowship stuff, I googled looking to buy a cd of them the morning after I saw them live. Great, Great stuff.

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken to Zak from The Fellowship and he's aware that you guys are interested in the CDs. He's going to discuss this with the other guys in the band to try to work something out.

In order that he has some idea of the demand for these CDs, mail him on zakfellowship@yahoo.co.uk

Don't forget to ask him about the very wonderful 'XI By IV' by the Zak Barrett Quartet
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Jazz wrote:
I've spoken to Zak from The Fellowship and he's aware that you guys are interested in the CDs. He's going to discuss this with the other guys in the band to try to work something out.

In order that he has some idea of the demand for these CDs, mail him on zakfellowship@yahoo.co.uk

Don't forget to ask him about the very wonderful 'XI By IV' by the Zak Barrett Quartet

Hi Doctor Jazz,

My thoughts are that perhaps they could start out doing one compilation CD album culling what they consider the best material from their studio effort and the live stuff. Sort of "A Newcomer's Initiation into the Fellowship"! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the bb managers should consider adding http://www.zen-cart.com/modules/frontpage/ Zen Shopping cart URL to their website and discussing streaming and downloading mp3s so people can pick their own best of Fellowship CD. With the advent of the ipod the concept of an LP is becoming dated.

Charging a quid (vernacular for one british pound, roughly $2) a track equates to the cost of the CD from Zak's Dad at the club (not including the paltry £3 entry fee) (use paypal payment) the whole process is automated and electronic: no import tax, no postage costs, it costs nothing to manufacture.

The only problems I see with this is getting to grips with the shopping cart and making sure you've the wherewithall to run the application. There is the matter of if the band do or don't like this idea as well, and how they divide the funds afterwards. If the shopping cart is an issue there are vendors who will do the selling for you, they probably do CDs too.

I have the power!
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Zak at length about this today.

Hang in there guys ... We'll get this material to you somehow I'm sure!

As to a compilation ... I think both the CDs are great and stand up in their own right ... Both deserve to be heard as the band intended them IMHO.

I'll post as soon as something has been worked out
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Jazz wrote:
I spoke with Zak at length about this today.

Hang in there guys ... We'll get this material to you somehow I'm sure!

As to a compilation ... I think both the CDs are great and stand up in their own right ... Both deserve to be heard as the band intended them IMHO.

I'll post as soon as something has been worked out

Great! Get those CDs out there! My only concern had been that most Guthrie fans, so far, are more from a rock/shred guitar background and the Fellowship material is decidedly jazzy. But this may be as good of an introduction to jazz for some rockers and shredders as any because Guthrie really lets loose over the sophisticated changes of familiar jazz standards with a burning tone.[/i]
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be a rather good opportunity for a jazz - shred crossover, like the one we had last christmas in no man's land, where the football came from, god only knows.

I have the power!
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a nice DVD. The whole band plays great . So far, I have only recognized three tracks : Sting's Englishman in NY, Mike Stern's Friday Night at The Cadillac Club and a Brand New Heavies tune. SOme others sound slightly familiar, but I can't name them.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.. the DVD .. Englishman In New York? Was that the "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" blend they did at Christmas with Andy playing human beatbox "... ppshhhhff (I'm gettin' one of those for Christmas) pahfuff" or is this thoroughly new stuff I've not heard. Rolling Eyes

So let me get this straight.. there's the studio album, the live at the Bassment Album and now a new DVD... which has B.N.H and two tunes I've not heard in my erratic attendance at the Bassment. Embarassed

When was the DVD recorded?

I have the power!
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right frankus. There are 2 CDs by the Bassment Band (aka The Fellowship). One was recorded in Pete Riley's studio, the other live at the club in Chelmsford.

There is also the very wonderful 'XI BY IV' by the Zak Barrett Quartet, that features Pete Riley from the Bassment Band in addition to Sam Edwards on keys and Andy Staples on bass. (That's yet another £5 Zak. I take credit cards!)

I haven't seen the DVD yet although Zak has promised to let me have a view of it. When I have it, I will attempt to post of the board and give track details whenever I can.

Zak will be discussing getting the CDs available with the other guys in the band this evening and he's going to ring me tomorrow. I'll post any news that comes out of that discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: