Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Well Finally...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well Finally...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Well Finally... Reply with quote

ordered the Creative guitar books, along with a Flatpicking book. Should be a good time.

Now hurry on books, I'm a waitin'

Tim Very Happy
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
M@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Creative Guitar One, and I must say it is rather basic! However, it is a very good read. It's one of those books I wish I had 15 odd years ago when I was teaching because Guthrie has a brilliant writing style and logically condenses a lot of "motherhood" stuff in one volume, laying out all the essential elements one would need to get on track without having to search through numerous books...

Still debating whether or not to buy Creative Guitar Two. These days, I think I can get more value from the Jamey Abersold series of CD's/Books. I highly recommend them.

Cheers
Mirth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I only ordered book 2 for now. Maybe that was an elitist attitude or something, but I felt that was more of what I was looking for.

As for the abersole stuff, I've got a few of those myself. They are definetly a good investment, maybe one day I could have all 100 or whatever.

Cheers.

Tim
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but what on earth is flat-picking? I've been hearing the term used a number of times on the board and always wondered what it was. Is it just some fancy form of alternate picking?
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it just some fancy form of alternate picking?

Yes, but it is generally, or always , used when talking about bluegrass or celtic guitar playing. So much so, that it pretty much means playing bluegrass guitar.

If you haven't ventured in the bluegrass world much, there are some amazing pickers out there, and of course it's all clean and all on acoustic guitar. Every thing is alternate picked, no sweeping, and they play lots of arpeggios, very fast.

It's fun to play, and it will help your picking and open string playing out a lot, and they are tunes not exercises so you can actually play them for people and they'd be impressed.

The book I ordered is on championship flatpicking winning songs, so we'll see, should be some good stuff in there.

So, now "swing your partner round and round..."

Ha, Ye haw,

Later,

Tim
M@

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd like to get into some bluegrass. I once taught at a music school and there was another guitar teacher there who was just awesome at bluegrass - I should have really taken the time to have him show me a few of those songs he used to play... they were quite cool and looked like a real good workout for the right hand - it's a good point you make about "they are tunes not exercises so you can actually play them for people and they'd be impressed."

On that point, a good book for some classical inspired tunes using a pick that I read Al Di Miola recommends is "Classical Studies for Pick-Style Guitar" by William G Leavitt (Berklee). This book travels with me everywhere, and I'm constantly dipping into it for some right hand practice - and they are actually SONGS (remember those?) you can play for people!

Cheers
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, I got the books.

CGII is an excellent book, there are some really good things in there. It starts every chapter kind of slow, but then starts to get into some really crazy stuff.

It's a good pick up I think.

The bluegrass stuff is pretty swingin too.

Tim
M@

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll keep my eye out for CGII... I ordered Jack Zucker's "Sheets Of Sound" and looking forward to that one arriving on my doorstep!

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: