Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Authority and Headroom
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authority and Headroom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Authority and Headroom Reply with quote

Yet another aspect of Guthrie's playing that really stands out from the pack: each note that Guthrie plays has a sense of purpose behind it and he never sounds like he's forcing it when he plays. Even when playing fast, Guthrie sounds like he's really behind every note, that he's not just skimming over them like so many others do when playing fast. And as for "headroom", Guthrie never sounds like he's going to veer out of control like so many shredders trying to play as fast as they possibly can.

I see many good players and I can hear them reach close to the limit of their physical capability - like an engine that's being maxed out and is on the verge of sputtering. Guthrie never sounds like he's being pushed to the limit. There's that "headroom" in his playing, making it all sound effortless and that there's still plenty of room left for him to play faster or more extreme whenever he feels like it.

But the coolest thing about Guthrie's playing is that there's real authority, real sense of purpose, real meaning, real feel behind every note that he plays. So many shredders and "lots-of-notes" players just throw notes in to fill up the space and to impress the listeners. So many of those notes are superficial and are just thrown in without a sense of purpose. There is no "weight" behind them. That's just not the case with Guthrie's playing.

To me, Guthrie actually teaches you to play less. I know that may sound paradoxical to some, but for a guy who's got the capability to overplay and overwhelm with over-the-top chops, he exhibits restraint and makes every note count. Why struggle physically to make a statement? Better to play slower than what you're really capable of. Make every note count. Don't push yourself to the point of maxing out in your performances - people can easily hear it. Think MUSIC... The point is that he never lets the muscles get ahead of the brain...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
art

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Ed, it's an important principle. A very famous opera singer (can't remember his name, althought it may have been Pavarotti) said that he never gives more than 70% of his ability.

That's why it's a good idea to become (technically) better than you'll ever actually need, you won't burn yourself out playing at your level.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why Guthrie sounds so musical... his technique is so nonchalant and easy that we just hear the music and not all the trillions of hours practising...

... Love James xXxXxXxXxX

p.s 'nother great thread Ed Laughing
carnflab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear him practicing, I'd bet hes done some ridiculous things, if playing live is only about 70% of what he's capable of.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

art wrote:
You're right Ed, it's an important principle. A very famous opera singer (can't remember his name, althought it may have been Pavarotti) said that he never gives more than 70% of his ability.

That's why it's a good idea to become (technically) better than you'll ever actually need, you won't burn yourself out playing at your level.

I don't know to what percentage level Guthrie exhibits his ability on a live show, but I'm willing to guess it'd be around that range. Some of the most ridiculous things I've seen him do are when he was just roaming around the shop checking out different gear and just noodling.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnflab wrote:
I'd love to hear him practicing, I'd bet hes done some ridiculous things, if playing live is only about 70% of what he's capable of.

I read on some thread here and that some overheard Guthrie warming up thinking no one was listening at school and that the stuff he was playing sounded ridiculous or impossible or something of that sort. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Well, during the rehearsals for the NAMM concerts earlier this year, I heard them practicing "Rhode Island Shred" at some ridiculous tempo, much, much faster than what you see on the Jan 19 video. And he was spot on. It was so fast that it sounded like silly cartoon music. Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Thats why Guthrie sounds so musical... his technique is so nonchalant and easy that we just hear the music and not all the trillions of hours practising...

... Love James xXxXxXxXxX

p.s 'nother great thread Ed Laughing

Yup, ultimately that's what comes through in the end in Guthrie's playing: musicality...

Thanks, there sure is a lot to talk about when it comes to Guthrie's playing. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
dave...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i absolutely agree with this, However, when i heard him battling with dave kilminster end of march i was actually rooting for kilminster more. The reason for this is that kilminster was struggling a little, fighting against the guitar (he's incredible in his own right, don't get me wrong) and he didn't have the overall precision that guthrie has. So i watched him miss a note, then desperately try and claw it back and when he DID i felt a little adrenling rush and a sense of awe. I have to say that sometimes i wish guthrie would stop making it look so damn easy and try and grapple a little... Very Happy maybe watching someone putting in the 100% is part of the fun? anyone have an opinion on this?
James W

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave... wrote:
maybe watching someone putting in the 100% is part of the fun? anyone have an opinion on this?

... yeah but thats watching them... music is about how we hear stuff, and to be honest, when I just see Malmsteen gurn and pull a face when hes doing something really hard, I just think that looks silly... its good for up and coming guitarists to observe how relaxed you should be, and I think it looks more amazing when the guitarist finds their virtuosity easy.

... J
EricT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Authority and Headroom Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Yet another aspect of Guthrie's playing that really stands out from the pack: each note that Guthrie plays has a sense of purpose behind it and he never sounds like he's forcing it when he plays. Even when playing fast, Guthrie sounds like he's really behind every note, that he's not just skimming over them like so many others do when playing fast. And as for "headroom", Guthrie never sounds like he's going to veer out of control like so many shredders trying to play as fast as they possibly can.

I think this has much to do with his time feel. Even his fast runs are right in the pocket, and that's why they don't sound forced.
So many players(including me!) just play as fast as they can when doing a fast run and don't really consider the tempo of the song. Of course when you're as good as Guthrie, you can intentionally go out of the pocket to build up intensity, but that's just an excuse for the rest of us...Smile
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i'd bet my amp Wink that guthrie could play a lot faster if he really wanted or needed to. he never sounds like he's breaking a sweat. Shocked no, guthrie's not the fastest i've heard, but he never sounds like he's trying to play as fastest as he can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: