Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - acm
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

acm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: acm Reply with quote

hi

anyone know much about acm in Guilford,U.K
Alun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not personally, but I know Chris ( wrighty-boyo ) went there so he should be able to help.

Alun
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did. (hello alun). What do you want to know about it?
rovers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what things did u study and has it helped your music
connections

i am interested in doing similar what guthrie does
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied everything from Pop to Jazz. I did the Higher Diploma (1 Year intensive course), had an awesome time there.

The best thing about the ACM was getting to know and learn from the teachers, eg Guthrie, Pete Callard, Andy Jones etc. These 3 in particualar were a great help to me personally. As you know Guthrie is in BIMM at Brighton now.

As far as connections are concerned. I went there hoping to come out with some job contacts at least, didn't happen. I was awarded 'Most Outstanding Guitarist' award (along with a free Music Man Axis Sport) which i was thrilled with (sorry to blow my own trumpet!!). I was then promised an article in Guitarist Magazine, didnt happen either. Most big auditions that came up got taken by certain teachers and not the students, a bit annoying!

Dont mean to put you off in any way because the teachers there are top notch, just think the actual people behind the college could have given the students a bit more support in the industry, but you have to do it all on your own unfortunately. I have got a career in music now, but its been off my own back.

The BIMM is meant to be pretty cool. Last time i was speaking to Guthrie he said that he was really proud of the way the BIMM is being run, and the direction its heading in. Maybe you should check it out.
Will

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chris, i was in the same class as him and ACM doesn't do exactly what it claims to do.

The higher diploma course is excellent though if you want to concentrate on your guitar playing. Its an intense course with a lot of information to pack in. I recommend it, but just don't expect to be high flying in the music industry anytime soon.

I stayed on to do the full degree, which i highly regretted. The first term was absolutely fantastic - I had Pete Callard as a personal tutor and the course was so much more intense than the HDip and I loved it. After that though, it was instruments down time...

I had a 2 hr lecture each morning (that was it) which consisted of students sitting in the auditorium whilst various different session musicans came in to talk about their work. This might be "interesting and helpful" i hear you thinking. But after a week or so it became clear that the message was that if you wanted to make it in music. You need to be out there everyday playing and going for it.

Suddenly - Attending Lectures and writing essays didn't seem very worthwhile (bearing in mind there seemed no actual reason to play guitar for a good couple of months)

I don't mean to put ACM down, but theres two logical things to bear in mind.

1) Do the Higher Diploma course, if you listen to everything and practise then you will be shocked at how much you can improve.

2) Don't do the degree course, unless you simply just want a few letters after your name. You won't play guitar as much as you expected - and its a lot of money for not a lot of lectures.

Overall though, the company of great Tutors makes the doubts slip away. If i had never met Pete Callard, Guthrie, Dave and Jamie (not forgetting Andy "Don't think, just play" Jones) then god knows what sort of player I would be.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will, how's things?

Well said by the way, you've summed it all up there mate. The best thing was the advice off the teachers, full stop. . .
Will

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Chris. Yeah not too bad - just teaching at the moment heavily on the weekends (its far more logical to have a 5 day break instead of 2!)

I'm just keeping up with the playing and trying to get my arse in gear and record some stuff. Going to start gigging later this year too hopefully (when I get my driving license back Rolling Eyes )

Been listening to a lot of Scott Henderson lately, i'm a 'floating hand' type of guy now (cheers - Pete Callard)

Are you going to the wembley show this yr? we'll have to meet up for a beer. No doubt Martin and Barry will be playing away too.
art

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm at BIMM and I thought I'd just pop in to let you know what it's like. The general course sounds quite similar to ACM (they were set up by the same guy, Bruce Dickinson) but BIMM has been said to have a more personal feel. I have never been to ACM so can't comment there, but BIMM is very friendly and has that small but cool vibe about it. I haven't started the degree course yet, and am in two minds about it, but all the guys I've spoken to who are on it are enjoying it. One thing that really has me interested is the final project, where you spend your whole third year (and the end of your second in preperation) working on a project (which you choose) and by the time you leave you have that project up and running, so it could be an album and tour, or a record label.

BIMM seems a lot more about people getting bands together than becoming session guys, although there are people who are interested in that (some realy shit hot guys, on all instruments). I personally don't want to go down the session guy route and it's good that they don't have a 'you must be a session' attitude.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The degree course at ACM was only two yrs. I quit about 6 months into the 1st.

ACM seemed to be all for helping bands as well, but I think whoever sucked the most cock got the most help. They REALLY put a lot of money into some shit bands and it was quite obvious why.

There was a close friendly atmosphere when you were in lessons etc, but there was always the big money people floating about making you feel uneasy. I thought most of the high up people there were wankers personally. Laughing
art

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited : Soz Alun

Last edited by art on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Dave K mate?? Confused Always thought he was a nice guy.
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As that has bugger all to do with music, and his other half is a very good friend of mine, could we please end that particular avenue?

Cheers,
Alun
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Alun. If you wanna talk about stuff like that try some sex forum man!!
Will

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i missed what happened here. I was confused for a minute there. Dave K is cool, in fact all of the teachers were cool. Maybe Dave tried to be a little too "cool" Smile but still a cool guy Razz

carry on licking that fretboard dave!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: