Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - VHT Valvulator 1
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VHT Valvulator 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: VHT Valvulator 1 Reply with quote

Hi all. Im using one of these things to power my pedal board, it has such an amazing sound. It really cleans up my rig and seems to boost everything so you cant lose any sound at all!!

Ed, know anything about these?? Do they have a common fault? Mine has broken down a few times. First i needed to change the power to UK voltage (obvious as i bought it from the US), and now its just ceased working for no apparent reason. Its such a nusance when things break down man!!!

Any help appreciated!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: VHT Valvulator 1 Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:
Hi all. Im using one of these things to power my pedal board, it has such an amazing sound. It really cleans up my rig and seems to boost everything so you cant lose any sound at all!!

Ed, know anything about these?? Do they have a common fault? Mine has broken down a few times. First i needed to change the power to UK voltage (obvious as i bought it from the US), and now its just ceased working for no apparent reason. Its such a nusance when things break down man!!!

Any help appreciated!!

Hmmm... Perhaps it's a bad tube? I think that's the first thing I'd look at.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Guthrie Use any sort of Tube Buffer like this? What does he power everything with?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:
Does Guthrie Use any sort of Tube Buffer like this? What does he power everything with?

I turned Guthrie onto Axess Electronics' BS2 (Buffer/Splitter) to keep tonal purity through a long effects chain that is before the amp. You can see the little black box in this photo on top of the Mooger Fooger:

This photo is from a fairly recent Bassment gig so I'm assuming that most things are still intact although he did advise me that he has replaced the Barber Direct Drive SS with an Analog Man Maxon OD-9 Silver Mod pedal. He may also be using a Fulltone Fat Boost. He's got a lot of toys to play around with these days. According to the photo, he's using something called the Power Bank to power some of the pedals along with a regular power strip for things that need wall warts. We had it set up with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 during the Tone Merchants gigs in January.

The VHT Valvulator is a very cool device and does its job well, but I found that I preferred the Axess BS2. The Valvulator seemed to color the sound somewhat (albeit in a pleasant way with the tube buffering) while the BS2 was absolutely transparent as though it was not there and seemed to provide more punch (or zing) through the chain. You can find out more about it here:

http://www.axess-electronics.com/index.htm
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Wed May 11, 2005 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Ed, your a good man.
M@

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed, thanx for the info on the Axess Electronics' BS2 (Buffer/Splitter).

Where would that sit in your signal chain? At the end of your effects pedals?

Has anyone here tried the BBE Sonic Stomp (which is a stomp box version of the Sonic Maximiser, recommended to sit at the end of your pedal setup)? Also, I'm lookng for a good quality DI Box for recording both electric and/or acoustic into Pro Tools MBox line input. Any ideas?

Cheers
M@

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the PDF manual for the BS2 which has diagrams showing how to use it:

http://www.axess-electronics.com/usr_man/BS2%20v0r0.pdf

Cheers
frankus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
he's using something called the Power Bank to power some of the pedals along with a regular power strip for things that need wall warts.

£19.99 from Maplins Smile at present in the sale. I think one of Guthrie's comments to me was .. and it's got AC/DC on it.. how cool is that Laughing There is a US version ->

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:

Has anyone here tried the BBE Sonic Stomp (which is a stomp box version of the Sonic Maximiser, recommended to sit at the end of your pedal setup)? Also, I'm lookng for a good quality DI Box for recording both electric and/or acoustic into Pro Tools MBox line input. Any ideas?

Cheers

I don't think you need a BBE unless the quality of the pedals and the cables in the front is suspect. Back in the 80's when I had a large rack system, the BBE did do a great job of restoring the brightness and making everything sound clearer, but when I tried using it with the demo rig at the shop with top-of-the-line Eventide and TC gear, it didn't seem to do much of anything at all. It's a problem fixer. If you've got some problems in the front, it'll fix it and bring back your sound that gets lost in the muddle of a long signal chain. If you don't have a problem, it's really not necessary.

The BBE DI Boxes seemed to work pretty well for the acoustic gigs here featuring Eric Roche and Thomas Leeb.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

I think one of Guthrie's comments to me was .. and it's got AC/DC on it.. how cool is that Laughing

Ah, Guthrie's good ole wit and humor! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: