Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - 8 year old virtuoso....?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 year old virtuoso....?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: 8 year old virtuoso....? Reply with quote

The drummer in my band sent me this. Its simply quite shocking.

This kid is apparently 8 yrs old. From what i can gather - most of what he plays is note-to-note Paul Gilbert stuff but still.... fucking excellent.

take a look!

https://home.comcast.net/~davidsole/8-year_old_virtuoso.wmv
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... Interesting!

I love the way he wipes his nose on his forearm at the end of the solo.

Not even Guthrie does that!
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, that's amazing for someone his age Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that vid has been making the rounds all over the place. I hear he's acutally more like 12 or 13. Definitely quite impressive, but I think he needs to start listening to some Jimi, SRV, and Albert King. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
bill®

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the token naysayer, but that is SOFT-CORE compared to the footage of Bireli Lagrene as a kid on his DVD. Think a kid (of similar age) with technique of a much higher order, playing on an acoustic guitar, through changes, that can actually phrase. It's still obvious he's a kid, but it kind of set the bar for 'kids doing crazy shit on guitar' when I saw it.
kanak1911

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Jazz wrote:
Hmmm ... Interesting!

I love the way he wipes his nose on his forearm at the end of the solo.

LOL, I got a kick seeing that also Laughing

Well, from my point of view, he can out play my butt by leaps and bounds so there's nothing I can say. What I see is the future of this kid. He has lots of time to be able to refine his playing. When I see young kids like this jamming I just close myself in my music room, look to the heavens and yell "WHY HAS THOU FORSAKEN ME!!!"
shredrulez

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kid can play for sure! but my thoughts are that there are probably a bunch who could play at that level at that age. there are so many classical prodigies we never hear about. ultimately it'll be all about what they do with the talent.
James W

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its refreshing that he looks fairly normal (albeit a bit chubby but thats understandable) unlike that kid with ultra-long hair and dodgy teeth I saw over on the Steve Vai board... however repetious it was, I must admit I was entertained... if I was him I would move on the whole neo-classical thing ASAP...

J
M@

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAWN!!!

I'm reminded of what Eddie Van Halen said once in a Guitar Player magazine in the 80's about "anyone can train a monkey to play fast" (or something like that).

Don't get me wrong, I admire the fact that he is so young and has demon chops and sure, the kid can play sweep arpeggios and scales, but his sound sux and he has no feel (no apologies). I agree with Ed's previous post, he should listen to some Jimi, SRV, and Albert King (and then some).

I bet his dad or older brother is a frustrated guitar player...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I watched it once and won't watch it again. It's really more of a spectacle in the lines of "Ma, look what I can do!" than a genuine musical performance that really says anything. It's impressive that someone of his age can play like that, but as shredrulez pointed out, prodigies come and go. Saying something musically and communicating emotions and feelings are what matters in the end. I wish the kid luck and hope he also matures musically.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... and to put this into a bit more perspective, I've seen kids younger than that play scale/arpeggio exercises/etudes on the piano with great aplomb.

I must admit though, that nose wiping technique is a definite winner!!!

Laughing
RD

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to get respect at such a young age.

However, I totally do not agree anymore with that old saying that you have to start at a young age to be any good. It really doesn't say that much when a kid does these things. Sure, he has physical talent; that's for sure. But I agree with Ed's last post; it will depend on his musical growth.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
It's nice to get respect at such a young age.

However, I totally do not agree anymore with that old saying that you have to start at a young age to be any good. It really doesn't say that much when a kid does these things. Sure, he has physical talent; that's for sure. But I agree with Ed's last post; it will depend on his musical growth.

It does help to start early. It's good to have the motor skills and things like that engrained while one is young and still growing. I'm sure it helped Guthrie. Still, a lot of today's greatest players typically started in their early-to-mid teens (McLaughlin at 12, Vai and Satch at 14), so starting very early (especially on guitar) certainly isn't a prerequisite to becoming a good or great player. And there are instances of truly great players who started out fairly late: Holdsworth at 17 (although he had some woodwind training before then) and Tal Farlow at 21.

Also, physical skill on musical instruments doesn't deteriorate with age like it does with athletics. Of course, all physical skills eventually take a fall with age, but you look at the great classical and jazz virtuosos and they maintain their skills well through their 60's, even longer.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most virtuosos develop their technique when they are young because young people have so much more spare time, which gradually decreases the older they get... but I don't think it has any overt ramifications on one's playing... i.e someone could develop early technically but not develop as a musician, whereas someone could develop late as a technician, but well, um... be very musical Rolling Eyes

J
M@

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also think there is a certain healthy "naivity" with youth... the feeling of being capable of anything! Also there is a certain creativity and recklessness/playfulness when learning as a kid. Of course, having plenty of spare time really helps too! Playing guitar sure beats mindless computer games or hanging out on the streets with gangs...

Smile

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: