Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Was Watching the '04 Clinic DVD Again...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Watching the '04 Clinic DVD Again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Was Watching the '04 Clinic DVD Again... Reply with quote

I hadn't watched that in a while and decided to pop that one in to the player last night. I also watched the clips on the TM site again which was taken from a different angle on a different camera than the DVD footage. It certainly brought back cool memories of really discovering Guthrie for the first time in person. To me, that night was akin to a religious experience.

You watch Guthrie play solo going through all those different styles and techniques with the stunning variety of moods and feel and you just go, "You know, there's no one else I could think of who could do all those different things so good and with so much feel." There are others who could do certain things better than Guthrie because they specialize on those things, but as far as doing so many things so well at such an advanced level, Guthrie is a true standout - a real freak of nature...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
joep36

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do kno/know of someone who can do all of those things which you mentioned, an absoloutly fantastic player, any style.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's called a teaser... OK, I'll bite -- Who?
shredizalive

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ED, YOU HIT THAT ON THE HEAD NO DOUBT.

I agree, there are ALOT of other players out there who specialize in one thing, and do it very well, but Guthrie has that 'X' factor to his playing, that makes him almost a mystery as to how he can come up with such hip and cool ideas and make them sound effortless.

The ONLY other player I can think of who has that ability to nail style after style with dead-on conviction is Andy Timmons. He simply is one of the best players on the planet and having witnessed 4 clinics by him, I must say he stands up there with Guthrie. I believe what seperates Guthrie from all the others is his 'uniqueness' and approach to notes and phrasing that seems to have a vibe of serious 'originality'. ESPECIALLY during the TM performance with Erotic Cakes where he simply pulls one trick after the other and makes you chuckle with joy at his complete and total command of the instrument.

He is a JOY to this world and an artist of the highest caliber. I only hope he puts out A TON of material and gets some sort of recognition.
Delicato

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had them dvd's. Wait, I wish I had a dvd player. Must earn money(said with hypnovoice)
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shredz, I have to agree about Andy Timmons. I've been listening to a lot of players recently. After each one, I'd think "Yeah, they do what they do very, very well... But they don't do as many different things as Guthrie." The only exception to that reaction was Timmons. I recently went back and listened to his CD "That Was Then, This Is Now" and was again impressed with the diversity of his material. Like Guthrie, he's all over the map in terms of style and pulls it off with aplomb. There are undoutedly many players I haven't had a listen to yet, but so far Guthrie and Andy are the only two players I am acquainted with who have that amazing facility.
Bert
Alun

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Andy Timmons' version of Donna Lee in the style of a 60s pop band
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about Guthrie is that he does sound like himself even when playing all these different styles. He has not only mastered the technical aspect of all those styles and techniques, but the feel, the tone, and the vibe as well and do so with his own unique character and stylistic stamp.

Also, I know that all we've seen of him so far through these bootleg DVDs and have heard on the GT clips is probably only half of EVERYTHING that he could do. We don't have any clips or snippets of him playing on a fretless guitar, which is absolutely amazing. Playing a nylon-string acoustic and doing the classical kind of thing. Doing the chord-melody thing with walking bass lines a la Joe Pass. Doing the death metal kind of thing... I've seen him do all this and he does all of these things extremely well...

Perhaps he isn't the absolute top master of all these styles, but he'd certainly be in the top 0.5% of in every category based on all the players I get to see. And I'm sure there are more things that I haven't seen him do yet. A lot more... I think what makes it all stand out so much with Guthrie is that he really does have a genuine love for each and every one of these styles. You just can't get that good at one way of playing unless you really loved it. Guthrie literally loves every musical style he runs across.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to all above...

For me I see Guthrie as a kind of bridge from the classic rock/blues players (in terms of feel and tone) to the modern players (in terms of sheer technique, harmonic knowledge and tone). I consider his playing also as a bridge into the unknown...

Cheers
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmons is great for sure, but to my ears, guthrie does all the different things a tad better and with more attitude, refinement and mojo. as ed pointed out, guthrie has absorbed all these styles to the marrow of his bones. it's not that he just plays 'em proficiently, whatever he plays sounds like that's all he's played his whole life.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with what Ed and Shred said (by gosh, that rhymes). There is just something completely convincing about what Guthrie does: total command of all those genres. He just winds his way through the different styles sounding so at home -- never like he's saying "Hey watch me play some Joe Pass lines..." You never know where he's going to take you. And yes, there's attitude and aggression in there too. I like that.

I sort of feel like I'm in on the ground floor of something here. I'm very grateful to have found out about Guthrie, and my playing is benefiting from the exposure. I'm trying to digest all I can from his books and Guitar Technique columns -- enough to keep me busy for a long while.
Cheers,
Bert
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:

I consider his playing also as a bridge into the unknown...

You hit the proverbial nail square on the head!

That's probably the most exciting thing about Guthrie - the future, which, of course, is totally unknown. You look at a lot of established players who've been around a decade or longer and you pretty much know what's coming next from them. But with Guthrie, he can fly off in so many directions and still retain his identity that it truly boggles the mind to think what he'll accomplish in the next 10~15 or even 20~30 years.

And it's certainly not about the technique. He'll get better on that, too, but probably not any faster as our ears can't handle any more notes per second anyway. It'll be about the music. It'll be about assimilating new styles and creating a greater whole. He'll someday do a techno album, a jazz standards album, a heavy metal/industrial album, play as a sideman to jazz/fusion heavyweights, a World-infused album, and on and on and on...

Yes, that' a great way of putting it. Bridge into the unknown... Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen enough of gg to know that he has a lot more to offer. he leaves you thinking, "well, there's got to be a whole lot more that he hasn't shown us." guthrie has this unique ability to leave you wanting for more. most shredders burn you out and have you thinking that you've had enough after about 15 minutes, but guthrie leaves you gasping for more even after 2 hours. BIG difference there...
srambo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just me being lazy, but I just d/l'd the Slippery.mov clips and theyare really amazing, where and how can I get hold of the DVD that I have seen discussed a few times on the forum (havent dipped in for a while so a bit out of touch, sorry Embarassed )

Cheers

Simon
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srambo wrote:
Probably just me being lazy, but I just d/l'd the Slippery.mov clips and theyare really amazing, where and how can I get hold of the DVD that I have seen discussed a few times on the forum (havent dipped in for a while so a bit out of touch, sorry Embarassed )

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Just email me at:

tonemerchant@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Ed
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: