Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie the great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie the great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ Love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a LONG time since I've been blown away by a guitar player like I have been by Guthrie, and thats based just on the clips I've heard... (although I do have a DVD on the way... big thumbs up!)... seriously I think the last time I've been THIS blown away by someone was the first time I heard Steve Vai or Stevie Ray Vaughan play and before that Eddie Van Halen back in the 70's!

alexkhan wrote:

Seriously speaking, I belive getting grounded in players like Jimi, SRV, JB, and Eric is as important as knowing the scales and improving one's speed and technique.

You know, another thing that stands out about Guthrie is how great he sounds playing at medium speed. With a lot of guys it's all-out speed then they break it up with really slow ballad playing and things like that but they would never play at in-between speeds....

I think those are both very very good points, especially being grounded in the Blues players styles. To me thats what sets EVH apart from most of the shred guys: his strong blues and Clapton influences
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really come to see that players not grounded in blues and classic rock and started out learning Yngwie stuff and just focused on technique and being fast lack feel and soul. They may do the fast stuff really well, but they sound awkward when they slow down and also seem to lack creativity in their lines.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Sgt Baker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are probably right Ed,...Guthrie is world class in all of the categories but to say someone is the best is definitely subjective. I had just watched the dvd moments before I posted that statement and I was buzzing pretty hard at the time.

I will still stick to the fact that I really haven't seen anyone as versitile as him yet. He really does play all types of styles with proficiencty.
M@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can't go past the blues as a solid starting point... I'm so glad I tasted all the greats many years before I first heard Yngwie in 85 at 17 years old...

A lot of guys can shred up and down the fretboard, but ask them to play a coherent melody with feel... forget it!!!

All the points on this thread a pretty spot-on.

Cheers
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Baker wrote:
you are probably right Ed,...Guthrie is world class in all of the categories but to say someone is the best is definitely subjective. I had just watched the dvd moments before I posted that statement and I was buzzing pretty hard at the time.

I will still stick to the fact that I really haven't seen anyone as versitile as him yet. He really does play all types of styles with proficiencty.

Totally understand the effect that Guthrie's playing can have on people. Yeah, he literally creates a buzz like the finest whiskey and the finest... uhh... I won't say. Laughing

Agree about the versatility factor. I think it goes pretty well beyond proficiency. He feels every style in his bone. He's virtually like 10 virtuosos rolled into one.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evh had the clapton grounding, but it's hard to believe that clapton was his only main influence as he had claimed and that jimi hendrix wasn't a major influence. even yngwie's got that jimi factor in his playing. i still think that absorbing and understanding guys like jimi, jeff beck, clapton, and page is a must in really becoming a well-rounded rock player.
AJ Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In watching the '05 DVD yesterday, the Steve Vai influence is very clear, to me anyways. I'm not ready to say Guthrie is better than Vai but he is incredible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: