Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - A Suhr for me?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Suhr for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: A Suhr for me? Reply with quote

Alright, the thing is that i have been trying to find the guitar that both feels and sounds like the way i want it to. I have mostly been playing a Gibson Les Paul std. the last year, but a couple of months ago my brother aquired an old strat which i have been playing both for comparison and fun.
The thing is that i find both guitars have ups and downs but mainly i like the thickness of the sound i can get from the paul but also the bluesy sharp sounds i get from the strat, i like the body size and weight of the strat more than that of the paul plus i also find the whammy bar on the strat fun Razz.
I have been wondering weather a Suhr might be the right thing for me having maybe 1 humbucker to resemble the fat sound and some nice single coils for the strat sound. The shape of the guitar itself looks too smooth and personally i would really like a "natural" finish on the guitar.
Please tell me what you guys think and what you guys would put on the guitar to fuifill my needs for both a somewhat thick sound and the strat sound. Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like the sunburst Suhr Standard that Guthrie has would be an ideal fusion of the Gibson type of a sound and a Strat type of a sound. It's got the Gibson woods (Mahogany body with Maple top, Mahogany neck with Rosewood F/B) but Strat construction (bolt-on with 25.5" scale), 2 humbuckers and a single-coil with coil-splits on the humbuckers for a wide variety of both Gibson and Strat-style tones.

But a more traditional Strat-style guitar with traditional Strat woods (Alder, Ash, etc. for the body and Maple neck with or without rosewood fingerboard) with a humbucker in the bridge position is also a fine choice to add a fat humbucker sound along with the traditional Strat sounds.

Guthrie's Suhr axes, especially the sunburst Mahogany Standard, are more modern than traditional Strat-style guitars and are designed to closely mimic Gibson-style sounds. Guthrie mentioned that the sunburst Suhr reminded him of his old SG that was his first really nice guitar. But he was surprised by the authentic Strat-type of sounds he could coax out of it as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suhr guitars rule! there's nuthin' quite like 'em out there. i'm saving up for my custom one now. i've been to tm a couple of times and i've never felt guitars that quite play and feel like the suhrs. simply amazing instruments. still thinking about the specs for my dream guitar. as far as tone and playability is concerned, i can't think of anything else that comes even close and i've tried and owned some great guitars in the past. i took my anderson and prs there and was blown away by how much better the suhrs played and sounded.
AJ Love

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Suhr Standard with humbuckers is a killer guitar. Much more than a Strat or Les Paul combined, its a Suhr!!! the best guitar I've played and I've played just about all of them

Got my Suhr Standard from Tone Merchants and words cannot describe how much I recommend them... awesome guitar, awesome service....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: