Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Reply with quote

Guthrie has 2 books available, Creative Guitar parts 1 and 2 and I can highly recommend them. Whether you're a compleet novice or a seasoned axeman you'll find something in there for you, whether it be a starting point, as new direction or just a little motivation. The books are available from Amazon and contain text, theory, examples and a cd.

The books offer new ways to break out of ruts and expand your vocabulary as a guitarist, as well as helpful insights from Guthrie himself which are both informative and entertaining.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Reply with quote

Duncan M wrote:
Guthrie has 2 books available, Creative Guitar parts 1 and 2 and I can highly recommend them. Whether you're a compleet novice or a seasoned axeman you'll find something in there for you, whether it be a starting point, as new direction or just a little motivation. The books are available from Amazon and contain text, theory, examples and a cd.

The books offer new ways to break out of ruts and expand your vocabulary as a guitarist, as well as helpful insights from Guthrie himself which are both informative and entertaining.

Yeah, I've been telling myself I need to get these books for myself for months now but have always gotten sidetracked and focused more on getting his music out there. Will get these books SOON! Thanks again for the reminder! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredguitar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Yeah, I've been telling myself I need to get these books for myself for months now but have always gotten sidetracked and focused more on getting his music out there. Will get these books SOON! Thanks again for the reminder! Smile

I've been meaning to get these too. I have heard many many good things about them. But that's to be expected from something by Guthrie. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered both books. They are avail on the UK Amazon site.

Cool
Hamster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar Reply with quote

Duncan M wrote:

I second that! - I've had the books a few weeks now and find them easy to get on with - a good mixture of theory and technique. Go buy them now!

Hamster Mr. Green
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the informal chatty style of the books, I thought that was wholly new in the guitar book stakes till I got to read a bit of Tommy Tedesco's book. Guthrie's book is better value Wink
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both books....and they are absolutely fantastic...probably the best guitar books I ever bought.

He really knows every nuance of the guitar and communicates those ideas extremely well.

There's some nice backing tracks too....with some kick ass playing by Guthrie included. Hey maybe we should record our own versions and share it with the forum...even though I know mine is gonna sound like ass Sad
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only the first one but will be ordering the second soon. I agree with everything others have mentioned but you should also know that Guthrie is a really good writer, he explains himself real well and includes some very witty things too!
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got them both - very, very useful. The second one is as complete a shred primer as I've ever seen. I also like how he's explained all the exercises, rather than just stuff a load of exercises in and not explain how they're relevant.
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really must get off my fat backside and get these books!

Or even sit on my fat backside and order them from Amazon!

Laughing
MattC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at these books. I think i'll have to get them from Amazon. £20 in my local guitar store. About £14 on amazon.

Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can us US residents order these books from the Amazon UK site?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered #2 last week from the US site.
MattC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered both from Amazon UK.

As for US residents. I think you have to go to .com version not .uk. Thats just my quess. Maybe it will say on the site. It did ask what country i was from when i ordered. Likely you just have to put United States in the scroll down list and might have to pay some postage and packaging. Smile

Guthrie Govan looks abit like my former guitar teacher.

Last edited by MattC on Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1 left in USA stock.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1860744621/qid=1095365351/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-6927502-8359829?v=glance&s=books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: