Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's hands
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's hands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Hehe... "ZEN without being ZEN!" - I like it!

BTW, let me come to the defence of Steve Vai. I do agree his playing is becoming a bit stale, yet I believe his compositional abilities far out-strip most of his contemporaries... Let's see what Guthrie has to offer on his long-awaited CD.

Oh yeah, and one more thing:

"Real men don't need hair-bands to mute their strings when tapping"

(cheeky!)

Laughing

Vai is an amazing musician and a truly great player. His creative well just seems to be running dry at the moment. Many artists go through periods like these. Perhaps he'll find some new sources of inspiration and start evolving again. Ultra Zone and Real Illusions really aren't pushing things forward or have a bunch of memorable tunes when compared to Fire Garden and Alien Love Secrets. That's all I'm getting at. And playing-wise, I do think quite a few players have taken things further over the past 5~7 years or so. I hope people don't think I'm bashing Vai. I just think some new players are taking the concepts he pioneered to new exciting realms.

And I don't think it'll be fair to compare Guthrie to someone like Vai just quite yet, even after he finally releases the album. Guthrie represents a new generation just starting out. Vai has been around over two decades. Vai's Passion and Warfare is a monumental album and I think we can safely say that Guthrie's album won't have the overall impact in the industry that P&W did, nor Yngwie's Rising Force, nor Satch's Surfing, etc. When you think about it, EJ's first album, "Tones", Satch's "Not of this Earth", and Vai's "Flex-Able" were more like underground albums that generated some buzz but weren't real breakthroughs. I think it'll also take Guthrie a few albums to really establish himself on the scene.

Regarding hair bands, how about those muting contraptions that Michael Angelo, Jennifer Batten, and Jeff Watson use on their guitars. Guthrie only uses the hair band when tapping across multiple strings using all of his fingers on both hands - like the chorus parts on "Bad Asteroid" and "Sevens". He also uses it when using the 8-finger tapping during solo runs, but I think that's cool. Most of the time he doesn't use it. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Regarding hair bands, how about those muting contraptions that Michael Angelo, Jennifer Batten, and Jeff Watson use on their guitars. Guthrie only uses the hair band when tapping across multiple strings using all of his fingers on both hands - like the chorus parts on "Bad Asteroid" and "Sevens". He also uses it when using the 8-finger tapping during solo runs, but I think that's cool. Most of the time he doesn't use it. Wink

So that's what it is, for muting? Weird, 'cause on the DVD, I hear a guy from the crowd asking Guthrie about the 'red gadget' on the neck. Guthrie answers it's a capo...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

So that's what it is, for muting? Weird, 'cause on the DVD, I hear a guy from the crowd asking Guthrie about the 'red gadget' on the neck. Guthrie answers it's a capo...

You must have heard him say that it's not a capo or someone else asking him if it's a capo. Yes, it's for muting when he taps across multiple strings with his 8-finger tapping technique.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
but it sounded mostly like hammers/pulls to me...

I heard that Holdsworth only does hammer ons, no pulloffs at all..

I have the power!
RD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
RD wrote:

So only hammerons & without picking every note?
RD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
RD wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

You must have heard him say that it's not a capo or someone else asking him if it's a capo. Yes, it's for muting when he taps across multiple strings with his 8-finger tapping technique.

Ah, that figures. I was indeed amazed how easy he slid the 'capo' off after the tapping stuff... I mean, I can't do that with my capo Wink So it's the same muting gadget that Micheal Angelo invented? Or at least the same principle? Or is it really a hairband?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:

Ah, that figures. I was indeed amazed how easy he slid the 'capo' off after the tapping stuff... I mean, I can't do that with my capo Wink So it's the same muting gadget that Micheal Angelo invented? Or at least the same principle? Or is it really a hairband?

It really is a plain hairband that he uses for muting the strings. So, yes, the same principle as the gadgets that players like Angelo and Batten use, but Guthrie's idea is definitely much cheaper! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
frankus wrote:
RD wrote:

So only hammerons & without picking every note?

It's true. He hammers the note behind the preceding fingers instead of pulling off to it. He says he doesn't like the sound of the preceding finger pulling off to play the note behind. So he hammer that note as well. So, essentially, it's like a pianisit having to press down on every key to produce the note.

He does pick a lot more than people think. I've seen him up close several times now and he's a great picker. But he makes the pick attack sound like a hammered note when changing or skipping strings. He's actually a great sweep picker because he sounds as smooth picking across the strings as his patented left-hand legato runs! Absolutely amazing to watch! Shocked

I'll tell you one thing: Guthrie can't play like Allan. He may evoke Allan every now and then, but I'd say that Allan would be the one guy that Guthrie couldn't nail. No one plays like Allan Holdsworth...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Ed...

Ed, you mentioned earlier that Buckethead's hands were very big... someone get a picture of his hands which show this? And no, not the one with the plastic little finger on...

I think the size of one's fingers both have negative and positive effects...

For instance, players with small to medium fingers may find economy of movement easier than players with long fingers, as they generally have less room to move in anyway, on the contrary, these players are going to find large stretches harder, and not be able to stretch as far... and all vise virsa for players with longer fingers, who I think will find it harder avoiding 'flying fingers' but will obviously find extentions of the hand easier etc... just a thought...

... Love James XXX
UncleFester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Baker wrote:
If any of you haven't seen Allan Holdsworth play yet, he may have the smoothest looking technique I have seen. He makes nothing look difficult when he plays and he may play the most insane lines of anyone.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: