Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Was Surfing Around for More Guthrie Stuff...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Surfing Around for More Guthrie Stuff...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Was Surfing Around for More Guthrie Stuff... Reply with quote

And found this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Amphitheatre/b10382/7303871/p20

On the second post, the middle of the first paragraph, you'll see a statement made there about Guthrie that will make you go either Rolling Eyes or Laughing

Whew, you see some of the crowd that Guthrie has to play to playing with Asia? Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
metal_insomniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I definitely got a good chuckle from that one.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh, MAN!!! that really is funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing oh, well, what can you do. he's not quite as bad as that guy on amazon describing gg as a "cut-rate vai" soloing "vomitously"! Laughing Rolling Eyes
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big Steve Howe and Yes fan myself back in the old days, but... well, people do perceive things in all kinds of ways, don't they? Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAH . Wow um....riiiiiiiiiiiight. Rolling Eyes No disrespect to Steve Howe though, he's great... but yeah. Laughing
Sgt Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that dude never saw the Guthrie Tone Merchant DVD.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, its really about 'who's the better player', its just that some people are slightly dated in taste and find it hard to adapt to change. By hearing Guthrie they are impressed but being die hard Asia fans wouldn't beable to stop hearing Steve Howe over the top.

People that aren't neccesarily musicians do tend be a bit scared of people like Guthrie because hearing all these new techniques and sounds frightens them. I dont know if its just me, but that type of person really gets on my nerves because they just dont look deep enough and see that Guthrie has worked his ass off to get where he is. There's not enough appreciation, and can some times turn into jealousy too.

Oh well, we'll always get that type of person!! hahaha
shredrulez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:
The thing is, its really about 'who's the better player', its just that some people are slightly dated in taste and find it hard to adapt to change. By hearing Guthrie they are impressed but being die hard Asia fans wouldn't beable to stop hearing Steve Howe over the top.

People that aren't neccesarily musicians do tend be a bit scared of people like Guthrie because hearing all these new techniques and sounds frightens them. I dont know if its just me, but that type of person really gets on my nerves because they just dont look deep enough and see that Guthrie has worked his ass off to get where he is. There's not enough appreciation, and can some times turn into jealousy too.

well, if he's only heard gg in the context of asia, it's not too hard to understand why he thinks how is more "technical". he's probably an old yes fan too.

a lot of people are intimidated by gg. there's this forum of old farts called the gear page where i hang out once in a while to read up about gear and they're totally psyched out by him. i think gg makes them feel like they've got tiny manhoods. Laughing they'll rave about these mediocre blues and jazz wankers about how they have feel and tone and taste and stuff like that but when the subject of gg comes up, they become completely silent. Laughing funny thing to observe.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the same when he was teaching me at the ACM. Most of the people in my class were really scared of his class and just sit there with jaws on the floor, rather than actually trying to learn from the guy (Will, im sure you'll agree with me on this one). He was always up for explaining everything he played in fine detail so it didnt need to be intimidating.

There's so much to learn from him even if its just a little note. He's in contact with music on a whole and there's not many players who are these days. He should get more appreciation, but he is getting more well known so thats a great thing.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:

No doubt... Believe me, being in the position I am, I see all kinds of reactions to Guthrie - in person at the shop, on the forums (a whole bunch of 'em out there covering the whole spectrum of guitar geeks), by phone or email, etc. Of course, we all know about the fans and the fanatics populating this forum dedicated to Guthrie, but it's interesting to note how others who would normally not be into what he's doing view him.

Some are indeed just outright intimidated and/or jealous. That includes fans of other players or a whole range of players themselves - both serious and casual. The thing about Guthrie is that one does normally need to absorb him for a good 2 hours to understand the scope of all the things he does - preferably live in person. Some people see the video clips or hear little mp3 snippets and just dismiss him as "another shredder". I've actually seen quite a few people say that and eventually be converted into fanatics after they absorbed the breadth of what he does on the DVDs or live in person.

Some (as I mentioned before in another thread) who are trying to do the same things that Guthrie is doing refuse to acknowledge him. They are literally crushed and devastated and don't want Guthrie reminding them that they don't have the talent to be able to play like that. I just don't get that kind of mentality. I just feel sorry for them... And then there are those who'll put up the fight and pick out some negative things to say about his playing and the music - the jazz snobs, the old classic rockers, the purist blues guys, fans of other shredders and virtuosos, etc. Uhhh,,,, okay! Rolling Eyes

I don't expect Guthrie to be everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I'm sure glad he isn't - that'd mean he's extremely boring! Laughing But it's easy to see the snide negative remarks as nothing but a veil for some juvenile form of jealousy and insecurity. They see him as some sort of a threat to their fragile egos, it seems. I don't know. Why bother to make the remarks and antagonize someone like me or other fans? Why not just ignore it?

Nobody is forcing Guthrie down people's throats. Granted, some people have valid points about why they don't dig Guthrie and that's fine if they can back up what they're talking about. And some do. I'm all up for that kind of a discussion and I know that what Guthrie does isn't going to appeal to a lot of guitar players and music fans either. I understant that. But there are those who are just outright immature about it. "No! He isn't as good as my guitar god!" Yeah, they do get on your nerves... Rolling Eyes My standard line of thinking is: "It's your loss, not mine." Not because they don't get what Guthrie does, but for harboring and expressing such narrow-minded and petty juvenile thoughts.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well said Ed. You are right in saying that if you dont know the guy and haven't seen him play live like you or I, it can be mistaken for 'yet another shredder', but hey he even does that better thn most!

Lets just hope it encourages people to find out more about Guthrie and really appreciate him for the musician he really is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: