Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Ray Gomez on Guthrie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ray Gomez on Guthrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sieuminh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Ray Gomez on Guthrie Reply with quote

Ray is my absolute favourite player, so this is cool!

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3153452435/show/470944
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's really cool!

I saw Ray Gomez doing a clinic for Seymour Duncan amps back in the mid-80's and always wondered why he hasn't gotten more recognition and fame. Absolutely amazing player! I still remember that day like yesterday - well, just his playing, can't remember the others. Really cool to have him post such kind comments about Guthrie's playing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that yeah, that's cool. everyone is "getting" Guthrie. Smile

I'm a Ray fan and i pointed out that i found it strange that guitarist if his stature didn't have an array of critically acclaimed solo albums out on a big name label and why hadn't someone like Favoured Nations picked him up, (he has great songs on that starlicks video for instance) and I also asked him if he had a new Cd coming out on an independant label or something else in the pipeline and this is what he said...

"I don't care about major or small labels,really..
Major labels are not interested in a guy like me, no matter how good..they have demonstrated it..with my first album..
They right now want young pop talent..not old dedicated players
I don't want anybody to own the right to my masters,so if anything i might,and i mean "might" get distribution
As for indies,I've had offers,but they weren't right..and let's face it,Steve Vai's label is ok,but it does not perform miracles for anybody..
Plus everybody 's on it..
Stay tuned..the best is to do it yourself..if you can.."

So there you go...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed things about the Favored Nations label as well. My thoughts are that true artists should figure out a way to market their music on their own. If you want to be a "star", you better work something out with a major, but if you just want to do what you believe in that doesn't really have mainstream appeal, there are ways to do it without being shackled to a label and the business types that just want to make money off of you.

Well, this is a whole major subject of its own and I'm not sure we'll come to any conclusions on what's the best way to promote artists like Guthrie or Greg Howe or Ray Gomez or Brett Garsed or Bumblefoot or Wayne Krantz or Scott Henderson, etc. It's a very difficult business. I think things are moving along very well for Guthrie even though he doesn't even have an album out yet, but there's still a lot that needs to be done. A lot...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool to see ray put in some good words for gg. y'know ray won't say something like that lightly.

regarding favored nations, who really cares? seems like just another ego-driven marketing stunt by vai to me. Rolling Eyes
RD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't like what Ray said about Guthrie being "mainly a shredder".

I don't know how many of you people realise this, but I think that for most musicians the word 'shredder' is a bad word. When music lovers hear that someone is a 'shredder', they probably won't check him out. And usually with reason because of the lack of decent composition, melody, feel and dynamics.

If you DO have these mentioned elements in your music, perhaps you shouldn't call yourself a shredder in the first place.

I mean, when I listen to Guthrie, he is a musician first and foremost and not a limited circusact-type musician. He has the musical diversity and the whole dynamic range in his notes and a lot of feeling as well. It's way more than shred.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
Actually, I don't like what Ray said about Guthrie being "mainly a shredder".

I don't know how many of you people realise this, but I think that for most musicians the word 'shredder' is a bad word. When music lovers hear that someone is a 'shredder', they probably won't check him out. And usually with reason because of the lack of decent composition, melody, feel and dynamics.

If you DO have these mentioned elements in your music, perhaps you shouldn't call yourself a shredder in the first place.

I mean, when I listen to Guthrie, he is a musician first and foremost and not a limited circusact-type musician. He has the musical diversity and the whole dynamic range in his notes and a lot of feeling as well. It's way more than shred.

You have a good point. I noticed that, too, but didn't think much of it coming from Ray. It's too bad, but there really isn't a good term to describe highly technical style of playing that has a real rock edge and sound to it. It's simply known as shred. Satch and Vai are still called shredders. So is Greg Howe. So was Shawn Lane. So is Petrucci. So is Paul Gilbert. Yngwie - well, he's the sultan of shred.

I completely agree with you that there's a lot more to Guthrie than shred. But at the same time, Guthrie is unapologetic about playing music with a lot of notes and I don't think he really cares what people call it. To him, it's just music that he likes to play. To me, "shred" is a style of rock guitar that has elements of highly developed technique and Guthrie certainly fits that bill. There is all kinds of shred: good, bad, awful, mediocre and great. Guthrie's brand of shred is obviously great, but what else can we really call it?

I think Ray saying "mainly a shredder" is not meant as a knock on Guthrie. To me, it doesn't sound like Ray made that comment in any derogatory kind of way. He just didn't have a better term to describe what is Guthrie's dominant style of playing. But I totally agree with you that, overall, "shred" has a bad rap and deservedly so. Unfortunately, there isn't a better term for it and it's become a fixture in guitar circles. So when I describe Guthrie to people, I tell them that Guthrie plays intelligent, tasteful, passionate, and musical shred with elements of rock, jazz, fusion, country, and all kinds of other genres thrown in. When I tell them this, they're very intrigued. People love seeing great musicianship as long as they're not bored. Vast majority of people who see and hear Guthrie really dig what he's doing - even the guys who hate shred...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
WhereAmI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "shredder" just means that they have the ability to play fast. Whats wrong with having that ability in your "bag of tricks". Ignorant people like to try and extinguish players without giving them much of a chance by writing them off as "shredders". Yeah Guthrie can shred or play fast on the fretboard, but he can also do just about everything else. There are players that only play fast that probably can be labeled "shredders" like Fransesco Ferrari or Yngwie "I think I'm the greatest" Malmsteen, but I would call Guthrie's playing versatile.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shred is cool. if done right. problem is too many guys do it wrong, i.e. all they care about is speed with no musical substance. they play some super fast stuff in jazz, classical, country, flamenco, and bluegrass and they're not called "shredders". in rock, there are too many guys who just want to impress and stoke their fragile egos. Rolling Eyes
RD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and don't want to offend anyone. I mean, I like to listen to fast playing, if done right indeed.

But still, I rather call Guthrie a virtuouso, wich, in my opinion, is a better word and this word doesn't have the attached idea that Guthrie is playing fast , shitting out notes as much as possible wherever he can.

I usually like to compare fast playing guitarists to piano virtuouso's... I mean, a lot of shredders name Chopin as their idol, but they don't play with the same feeling and dynamics as a master like Chopin. It's like they have missed the point while listening to that kind of music.

Anyway, if I'd have to describe Guthrie in short, I'd say he combines all kinds of styles in a refreshing, versatile and virtous manner.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Guthrie is a virtuoso. That is a much better term than shredder. But I think a lot of people think the term "virtuoso" is for classical music or maybe jazz. It's still the best way to describe him as a player.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: