Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Fellowship gig - 16th June
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellowship gig - 16th June
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like post-shred. It follows the "rules" for styles that are based on a former, but have moved beyond it. Like post-bop, post-modernism etc...
OU812Manny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am a member of his Street Team and a huge fan. My opinion is just as valid as yours. MAB rules. Period. Post shred? Is that like NuMetal? BTW, again for the illustrious guitar elitists Batio was on Shrapnel Records when he first started out. I guess Varney is a terrible judge of talent too. You, Shredrulz obviously don't know much about what your forum name suggests. Just my opinion of course.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pssst... since i'm such an understanding nice guy, i'll help with your "police" work and give you a lead:

http://www.online-discussion.com/BrettGarsed/viewtopic.php?t=18

check the second post by a moderator on the garsed forum.

man, you must be real busy tracking the batio bashers all over the internet!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
OU812Manny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that you don't read the big guitar mag's, check out Batio's site or know much about him. Guitar World called his Speed Kils DVD one of the best guitar instructional DVDs ever. Petrucci, Romeo, Tom Morello, all give him credit for helping them. His forum alone is way bigger than this one and it was just started a few months ago. There are a lot of us on line. You have some real info about MAB now. That's it. Bring up 50 forums, who cares. I just happen to like G Govan and read your stupid, uninformed remarks and responded.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrmmm....OK. Confused

Maybe what Shredrulez said about Michel Angelo Batio was a tad strong - personally, I don't feel that he gives shredders a bad name. He is obviously very accomplished and certainly can play notes at a zillion miles a second, but I can see Shredrulez's point and that is that IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, MAB seems to have lost sight of the true musician's goal on the guitar - speed should be a means to an end, NOT the end itself!! I've listened to several of his tracks, and while I can say, hand on heart, that he is an incredibly fast player, with a phenomenal, superbly honed and very admirable technique, he seems to be a bit of a "one trick pony".

If MAB could take all the dextral knowledge that he's worked so hard to achieve, and break it up to introduce elements of phrasing, if he can incorporate and improvise to other styles instead of the constant barrage of neo-classical licks and flurries, and if he can actually integrate himself seamlessly in a musical context in any given situation, then maybe I'll give him a little more credit. However, as it stands, MAB's music lacks phrasing, variation, diversity, and soul. Sorry to say, he's a great player, but his music sounds like nothing more than a series of scales practiced ad nauseam.

Like I said, though, it's just my opinion. If that sort of speedy playing appeals, encourages and influences, then it is not a bad thing at all. Plus, credit where due, MAB is a pretty decent guy. He may play fast, but it is not an ego-massage for him (Unlike Neil Brocklebank), and certainly not the worst contender for complete and utter shred wankery (I'm surprised Shredrulez missed this one off the list) and that is the total mess and turgid toneless soup of Marcus Paus, an ex-student of Impilliteri, and self-proclaimed "Fastest Guitarist in the World"

Mind you, if you're going to source everything you hear about guitars based on the content of "Guitar World", you really need to go see more live players!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: