Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie with Asia Gig Review - Coach House, CA
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie with Asia Gig Review - Coach House, CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Guthrie with Asia Gig Review - Coach House, CA Reply with quote

Asia is winding up their US tour in Southern California this week and played their sole Orange County date at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano last night. Honestly, I can't say Asia's music is something I would listen to very often, but I still have fond memories of seeing the original Asia lineup back in '82 right after they released their self-titled debut album that went onto sell millions.

I know there's a tendency for us Guthrie fans to sneer at Asia's laid-back AOR music, but the truth is that all of the guys in Asia can really play and that this was a complete band performance that I thoroughly enjoyed and that you guys may enjoy, too, if you can get to see the band live. The crowd was typically older than most of you guys here - in their early-40's to early-50's - but they appreciate good rock music with good musicianship and that's what it was all about in the end: middle-aged couples and people just enjoying the night out and re-living their teenage and college years when they were into this band at its height.

This is not to say that Asia isn't doing anything interesting now for its fan base. From what I've heard, the tour has drawn good crowds across the country for it to be a profitable venture. The Coach House is a large club that can pack around 500 people and I'd say it was about 80% filled, so that's not a bad outing at all. Most of the people were there to see the band, not any particular musician. It's surely a good thing to see them pick up on Guthrie as he's just impossible to ignore by any level-headed music fan.

It's about the songs and band performance as far as Asia is concerned, but Guthrie still dominated the stage with his stage presence and, of course, his unparalleled guitar work. Guthrie showed that he can play well within the pop-prog-rock structure of Asia and still unleash a torrent of scary licks to unsuspecting fans who, at times, seemed befuddled by what they were seeing. And to a few, I noticed, that there is no substitue for the original guitar player in the band - Steve Howe - but most didn't care and were genuinely interested in what Guthrie had to offer and they weren't disappointed at all!

No need for me to go into a song-by-song sort of a breakdown as this is more about Guthrie, but the band was air tight after nearly 6 months of constant touring and it was easy to tell that this band has jelled into a very cohesive ensemble. There are no missed notes, playing out of time or singing out of tune by these guys. Everybody was spot-on and there was a lot of energy in the tunes. They were all enjoying the gigs and having a good time playing in front of a large enthusiastic audience. What more can a band really want during a tour?

Guthrie's playing was top notch as usual. His tone was fat and cutting and his solos were concise and tasteful that complemented the tunes without getting in the way or overwhelming the feel or mood of the songs. I know Guthrie sincerely enjoys playing the Asia gigs as it's about playing in a different context than what he'd normally play in and he has to figure out how to make his playing work within this structure. Guthrie remains creative throughout, always playing lines, fills, rhythms, and leads that don't reek of cliches.

I certainly won't say that what Guthrie plays within the Asia context is better than his Erotic Cakes and Fellowship formats, but he shows another side of him being a great team player whatever the context. And Asia's music, especially their older stuff, is more challenging than it may seem to the casual observer. Founder and keyboard ace Geoffrey Downes is a master all-around musician. John Payne is a very adept bassist and guitar player and a strong singer with soulful elements in his voice. Chris Slade is a powerful drummer with great rock chops. The songs are tuneful if, at times, wistful and lacking weight.

Guthrie also got his Suhr Classic with the Silent Coil System before the gig from me and he was smitten by it right away. We were outside in the parking lot when I handed the guitar to him and he was literally like a little boy receiving a Christmas gift, barely able to contain his excitement. And he picked it up and started plucking away on it and then putting his left ear on the body to hear the guitar's natural acoustic resonance. A broad smile appeared on his face and I knew then that he had found his perfect Strat.

He told me that he'd like to use the new axe on the gig but seemed a little tentative about using a guitar that he's only had in his hands for 5 minutes. But apparently, the guys in the band were blown away by the guitar and told Guthrie, "Just play it, Guthrie! You'll be fine." I handed Guthrie the guitar before the gig because I felt nervous about leaving it in the trunk of my car through the gig and didn't expect him to play it. But midway through the show, I see his guitar tech taking the guitar backstage to get some work done on it (set up with the E-flat tuning) during the first few songs of the gig and I thought, "OMG, Guthire is going to play that guitar tonight!"

The new Suhr Classic made its debut about 5 songs into the set. And, wow, did it sound amazing in Guthrie's hands! Shocked It's as though his style of playing changed because of the guitar. The tone and even his phrasing changed to take advantage of the classic characteristics of the Strat with single-coil pickups. This Classic is certainly brighter than his midrange-heavy Mahogany-body Standard, but the top was silky smooth while the lows were big and tight. All of a sudden, lines and phrases reminiscent of Strat players like Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Rory Gallagher, and David Gilmour became apparent in his playing. It was a pretty amazing transformation to observe.

But the most amazing thing about Guthrie's playing last night was during the acoustic "unplugged" set where Guthrie was pretty much playing a Martin D-28 dreadnaught acoustic. I don't really like to hear the acoustic-electric played in this sort of a setting where it's often an afterthought on a band's set. Typically, the acoustic tone would be thin and real tinny sounding with that unbearable piezo quack, but that wasn't the case at all with Guthrie strumming and plucking away on the mighty Martin.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, but guys, Guthrie is a monster on the acoustic as well. I mean, he sounds like a guy who's played an acoustic most of his life. Most electric guys just don't sound good and seem uncomfortable when they try to play the acoustic. But Guthrie seemed to have the same level of technical control and tone on an acoustic as he does on an electric. Of course, Guthrie will beg to differ, but I was amazed by his facility on the acoustic and his big, fat tone coming from his electrified Martin. Every note, even during some blindingly fast runs reminiscent of DiMeola, McLaughlin, Tony Rice, Doc Watson, Doyle Dykes, etc., came through with authority, clarity, fatness and punch. Sorry, what Guthrie did on an old Martin blew away any stuff of Yngwie doing his nylon-string speed-picking thing during his shows. Guthrie mixed it up with some country pick-and-fingers thing a la Jerry Reed with some sections of Rhode Island Shred thrown in here and there and did some ridiculously fast alternate-picked runs that were just as swift and articulate as anything he does on an electric.

As far as playing was concerned, watching Guthrie on the acoustic was worth the price of the admission alone. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect Guthrie to be that good on the steel-string acoustic - knowing that he doesn't even own one at the moment! Shocked What blew me away was the tone and the phrasing. He sounded like a dedicated acoustic virtusos who's only been playing acoustics. Now I have no doubts that Guthrie could easily play in an acoustic Trio sort of a setting with the likes of DiMeola, McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia. It's not that I ever doubted that Guthrie could do it, but to finally see him play an acoustic for an appreciable length of time really showed me once again that he really has no limits.

Thanks, Guthrie! You are the ultimate flabbergaster! Laughing Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, THAT is definitely the longest post in history!!!

Laughing
stratoskier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed -- I really enjoyed reading that post. Lots of cool observations in there. Like you, I really dug Asia in their heyday, and I have to confess I rather liked the tune of theirs you put on the 30-tune CD. I expect that Guthrie is having a blast playing with them, and the exposure has got to be a good thing. His gig with Asia seems reminescent of Steve Morse with Deep Purple -- at first it seems like an odd marriage, but being stellar players they know how to pull it off with aplomb. It sounds like you confirmed that at the concert.
Bert
sah5150

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.... I really wanted to see this show. Unfortunately, it was on the same day as Gigantour, where I was happily having my head blown off by Petrucci just down the road at Verizon... had never seen or heard much DT before and they were amazing! I had no idea they were so heavy, but they easily held their own on the same stage as Fear Factory, Nevermore, Symphony X and Megadeth...

Thanks for the review, Ed!

Steve
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asia is playing again at the House of Blues in Hollywood on July 31, Sunday.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great review Ed....cool read! I wish I was able to catch him when they played in NY but unfortunately my job keeps getting in the way Crying or Very sad

I would loved to have seen him rip on the acoustic because I've been in real acoustic-mindset lately...hehe.
treeduck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great review Ed, so good you've answered all the questions I thought I might have to ask Very Happy Now I'll have to think of some more...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: