Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Any non guitar playing Guthrie fans?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any non guitar playing Guthrie fans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredguitar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Any non guitar playing Guthrie fans? Reply with quote

The true mark of a great guitar player is when he reaches people who don't play guitar. Just wondering if anyone here wasn't one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point and subject matter. I can tell you that my wife is certainly a fan, but then she was a music major (piano performance and composition) at one point in college, so she has very sophisticated ears and loves jazz as well as rock and classical, so she got into Guthrie right away. I do think one needs to be somewhat sophisticated of a listener to really dig and understand what Guthrie is all about. He's got so much stuff going on.

I would play the Guthrie stuff for some non-players who are only casual fans more into mainstream stuff and they'd go, "Well, he's good, but not really any faster than Vai or Satriani." Rolling Eyes And at that point, there is no sense in arguing about it or trying to convince them otherwise. One either gets it or doesn't. Do you take a novice jazz listener and try to turn him/her onto Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"? Similar case here within the realm of guitar instrumental music...

But I'm very curious, too, if there are any non-players here (of the registered members). At this point in time, I'm willing to bet there aren't.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
diesel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a bass player and I like him. I may not qualify because I'm into all kinds of alpha dog type of guitarists and understand what's going on with the extreme technicians( more so than the run of the mill guitarist understand).
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just about manage E major and G major ... Might get D major on a good day!

I'm a keyboard player ... Frank Zappa always claimed that he was a composer who happended to play the guitar ... My view of Guthrie is that he's a great musician who uses the guitar as a channel for his musicianship ... Not to mention bass!

PS ... When's that banjo getting premiered at The Bassment Guthrie?
Alun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a very limited amount of guitar but I'm really a bass player. I just like anyone who makes interesting music whether it's Michael Brecker (sax), Don Byron (clarinet), Viniie Coliauta ( drums) or any other musician.

Alun
CBR1000F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I'm the first non-player who loves Guthrie's playing Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR1000F wrote:
Well I guess I'm the first non-player who loves Guthrie's playing Laughing

Hey, welcome to the GG Forum! I think it says a lot that Guthrie appeals to non-players.

So, what do you like about Guthrie's playing? How does his playing and music differ from some of your other favorite players? Who are some of your other favorites?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
LR1400

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only heard the clips we can find on TM and here and I like Guthrie a lot and echo what the greats have said about him.

He's got lots a groove.

Other players:

Richie Kotzen - Reminds me a lot of GG in that he can play many styles well and has lots of groove and soul. I heard some of Kotzen playing straight ahead jazz that was nice.

Shawn Lane - Don't sound much alike to me

Jimmy Herring - Same as Kotzen, lots of groove and can play a lot of styles.

Holdsworth - Hear him in everyone to some degree

McLaughlin - Hear him in everyone to some degree
CBR1000F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alexkhan.
What I like about Guthrie? Especially his diversity. Being able to absorb all these different influences and styles, to jump naturally between those styles and to make his own stuff out of it. I just discovered him a few days ago, I watched all the amazing NAMM vids. And he seems like a really nice guy Smile
My favorite guitarplayer is Steve Vai. I don't say he's the best there is, because to me; there's no such thing, I think you can only have favorite guitarplayers or favorite guitarsongs/albums etc. But I follow Steve for quite some time now and I met him a couple of times so far and he really is a great player with his own style and behind that "showmask"(well some people say he's a show-off but I disagree) you can find a superfriendly really down-to-earth guy. So it's about his playing and his personality. And you know with Steve it's certainly not about shredding all the time, there's a lot of emotion in most of his songs. I guess my goose bumps choose my favorite guitarplayer Wink
Other guitarplayers I like? Well everyone who is really good at it I guess and who makes an effort to be original.
From Birčli Lagrčne to Michael Lee Firkins , from Al DiMeola to Frank Zappa, from Nuno Bettencourt to Frank Gambale. From Tony MacAlpine to Richard Hallebeek. From Steve Morse to Mike Keneally. From Lorenzo Petralia to Allan Holdsworth.You know I'm really looking forward to the new 'Planet X'-album with Allan Holdsworth. 'Moonbabies' (with T-Mac) is one of my all time favorites. Well I can go on and on with names but I think that would only bore you Smile
But hey, this is the Guthrie Govan forum and I'm very glad that I discovered this extremely talented guy. I hope he'll soon bring out some music of his own (Favored Nations?) and go on tour (especially in Belgium Wink )!!!
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend said she really enjoys watching and listening to him. She told me he seems like he has fun, and you can tell. So there's another!
Tanya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I can honestly say that I have no musical talent whatsoever but I have thoroughly enjoyed Guthrie's performances the 12 times I've seen him play with Asia !

One question though- why does he always wear the same shirt ? Smile

Tanya
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: non guitar playing guthrie fans Reply with quote

I'm a non guitar playing guthrie fan. I was introduced to him by my husband and brother, and now am truly hooked.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:

One question though- why does he always wear the same shirt ? Smile

Tanya

Good question... Well, Guthrie's a real T-shirt and jeans kind of a guy but Asia seems to have somewhat of a dress code and I guess that shirt has become Guthrie's Asia shirt! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the ladies here. Cool My wife is a big Guthrie fan as well. Guthrie's writing and his choice of notes, I believe, have a universal sort of an appeal and connects with people who don't play the guitar or any other musical instruments.

I have some friends who are casual music fans (non-players) and they could never get into the playing or the music of other monster players that I introduce to them, but they dug Guthrie right away. They found a lot of the melodies in the songs hummable/memroable and the playing very interesting to follow.

So keep spreading the word and make copies of the DVD for your friends who have some strong musical inclinations and can appreciate what Guthrie has to offer. His album is still slated to come out in November.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should take it to the next level and ask whether there were any non-musician Guthrie fans?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: