Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - How does Guthrie perform Noise Reduction using his Hellcat ?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Guthrie perform Noise Reduction using his Hellcat ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CornfordHellcatUser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: How does Guthrie perform Noise Reduction using his Hellcat ? Reply with quote

Ive a Hellcat head and Cornford 2 x 12 myself which I use with Ibanez AD9 delay and Boss BF2 Analog flange. Gtr I use is a 2001 R9 with voodoo 59 pafs. When I crunch things up on the modern channel , I set the drive to 3 o clock, this can and does produce a fair bit of noise. I put an ISP Noise Decimator at the end of the pedals chain and ran them all thru the fx loop.

By the time you cancel noise , it means the threshold is too much for the clean channel to truly ring out , I adore the head but id love to lower the noise a bit, can somebody tell me how the awesome guthrie does same ?

cheers
jimmy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie didn't use the Decimator pedal that was in the rig for the TM shows in January. I put it in there for him, but he switches channels a lot and also varies the clean/dirt on both channels rolling back the guitar's volume pot, so I realized that the pedal would interfere with his dynamics.

The noise on the Hellcat isn't bad when the gain is set at around 2 o'clock, which is where Guthrie sets it. Plus, when the band is playing the noise gets drowned out pretty good, so I don't think Guthrie is that concerned about the amp hiss.

Have you checked your preamp tubes? Perhaps one is on the noisy side?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
seaweed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd image tube hiss is quite standard....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: