Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The MUST have pedal....
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The MUST have pedal....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredizalive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: The MUST have pedal.... Reply with quote

I just recieved my brand new Fulltone OCD and I'm simply drooooooling
over this little fire breathing monster. I have never used a pedal, especially a distortion box, that has sounded so full, rich and sophisticated as this thing.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

BTW - Does anyone have a Yamaha UD STOMP they'd be willing to sell??
That is seriously on my MUST HAVE list.

Thanks.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still haven't received the first shipment of the OCDs in yet. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredizalive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted I paid $349 to get one on Ebay (I know I paid double for it), but it's SO worth it. I am sure you're going to love it Ed.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredizalive wrote:
Granted I paid $349 to get one on Ebay (I know I paid double for it), but it's SO worth it. I am sure you're going to love it Ed.

Yeah, I hear people are selling it for that much on eBay. Hey, as long as you feel it's worth it.

Another great new overdrive/distortion pedal is the Menatone Kar Krash. It's based on the Komet/Trainwreck circuit, hence it's tongue-in-cheek name. Amazingly transparent and touch responsive...

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Menatone.htm
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Dirty Blonde" looks pretty damn hot too... Wink

I've been looking at the video clips of the RC and AC Booster by Xotic and they sound nice - seems that the common consensus is it that it can make your Strat sound fatter... when A/B'ing on and off you can really hear the difference.

What Pedals Does Guthrie use is some of those fusion tracks with the Suhr on the Tone Merchant clips?

Cheers

P.S. Ed, it would be great if you could get short (and easy to download) video clips of artists demoing some gear (a la the PCI website RC/AC/Robotalk demos). That way, for us overseas buyers, we can hear and see and get a general feel for what we want to buy... just a thought to boost business... Wink

alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
That "Dirty Blonde" looks pretty damn hot too... Wink

I've been looking at the video clips of the RC and AC Booster by Xotic and they sound nice - seems that the common consensus is it that it can make your Strat sound fatter... when A/B'ing on and off you can really hear the difference.

What Pedals Does Guthrie use is some of those fusion tracks with the Suhr on the Tone Merchant clips?

Cheers

P.S. Ed, it would be great if you could get short (and easy to download) video clips of artists demoing some gear (a la the PCI website RC/AC/Robotalk demos). That way, for us overseas buyers, we can hear and see and get a general feel for what we want to buy... just a thought to boost business... Wink

There should be plenty of info on the Guthrie rigs in other threads and photo albums, but I'll post some more info here anyway. For the TM gigs in January, the following is the signal chain:

Suhr Standards, Sugi for "Ner Ner"
Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables throughout

Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer
Mooger Fooger Ring Modulator
MSD Automagic Silver Machine Wah-Wah
Guyatone WR3 Envelope Filter/Auto Wah
Menatone JAC Compressor
Digitech Whammy
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Cornford Hellcat 35w Head

In the Effects Loop of the Hellcat:

Boomerang Phrase Sampler
ISP Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Analog Man Clone Chorus
T-Rex Replica Digital Delay

Cornford's speaker out was sent to a Palmer PDI-09 with a line level signal going out to a rack and the thru speaker level signal going to a Cornford 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion V30 speakers. This "dry" cab was mic'ed with the Shure SM-57. The line level signal path is as following:

TC Electronic TC2290 Digital Delay (rarely used)
Eventide Reverb 2016 Digital Reverb
TC Electronic TC1210 Spatial Expander
VHT 2/50/2 Tube Power Amp

This "wet" stereo signal was sent to a pair of Cornford 1x12 extension cabinets loaded with the Celestion V30. These cabs were placed on opposite ends of the stage sitting on the Enhancer amp stands and mic'ed with the Sennheiser E609's. There was slight room reverb and a bit of spatial expansion added but that was really about it. About 70% of Guthrie's sound came from the middle "dry" 4x12. The "wet" rig was just to spread out the sound somewhat but wasn't really that integral to what Guthrie was doing.

Here is the amp setting used during the TM gigs:

Here is the floor rig. The Digitech Whammy and EB Volume Pedal aren't visible:

And here is the rack rig. The second VHT power amp is just there filling up space. It's not even on.

You can see more pics of this rig before Guthrie arrived for the shows. He didn't need the Barber Direct Drive SS since the Hellcat is a 2-channel amp. We just didn't have the time to really work in the rack rig with MIDI and stuff, so it was just used for adding a bit of ambiance.

http://community.webshots.com/album/246451195kvgkIg

That's really the gist of Guthrie's rig during the TM shows and what you see and hear on the video clips and the DVD.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:

Someday... But I really feel that's something all the manufacturers should do. We'll get to doing more clips in the future, but it's a lot of work to put something like that together. We'll work on it eventually...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Ok Ed. You are officially killing me with pics of the Sugi. You're breaking my will, slowly but surely.

Lemme crunch some numbers tomorrow...

Mr. Green
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Ok Ed. You are officially killing me with pics of the Sugi. You're breaking my will, slowly but surely.

Lemme crunch some numbers tomorrow...

Mr. Green

This one's got the Karma now. Mr. Green

This Sugi become the official "Ner Ner" guitar. Cool May become a collector's item someday. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew!

That is certainly quite a complimicated rig.

Thing is, from what you say, he uses pretty much all of it, so none of it is superfluous. That makes it more impressive somehow.

That said, I'm sure that the vast amount of stuff he's got on the floor makes him look like a tap-dancing loon sometimes.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stark Contrast to Dave Kilminster last week at the Bassment, a wah, an overdrive and a boss tuner.

I can testify for Guthrie's use of the stuff though.. not tap dancing though. As for using effects try:

Slide
Ebow
Mooger fooger
Whammy pedal

Shocked

oh yeah.. it didn't sound like a guitar Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

I can testify for Guthrie's use of the stuff though.. not tap dancing though. As for using effects try:

Slide
Ebow
Mooger fooger
Whammy pedal

Shocked

oh yeah.. it didn't sound like a guitar Wink

Nice combination of gizmos for some otherworldly sounds! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
AJ Love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best overdrive/distortion pedal I've found is a Pete Cornish P-2. Very expensive but worth every penny. Same pedal used by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd... killer tone and sustain at ANY volume
zea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed, how would you chain the Axess buffer ? also the ISP Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal ?
Can you show me some example ? guthrie's set may be?

Also, can you not use the effect loop to link all the delay and chorus? Can't it be like all in one pedalboard?

thanks Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zea wrote:
Hey Ed, how would you chain the Axess buffer ? also the ISP Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal ?
Can you show me some example ? guthrie's set may be?

Also, can you not use the effect loop to link all the delay and chorus? Can't it be like all in one pedalboard?

thanks Smile

The Axess buffer should be one of the first things on the chain before a bunch of pedals in front of the amp. But certain pedals don't like to see a buffered signal (fuzz, vintage-style wah, etc.), so those things need to come before the buffer.

The Decimator pedal should be the first thing out of the loop to quiet the preamp noise and before things like chorus and delay. Time-delay devices like chorus and delay should be in the loop after the preamp signal. Things like compressor, overdrive, ring modulator, distortion, etc. should be in the front of the amp. There are no hard rules on things like these, but this is the common way to do it. Ultimately, whatever sounds best to your ears.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: