Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - That Slippery Thing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That Slippery Thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: That Slippery Thing Reply with quote

The more I listen to Guthrie (especially the snippets from the upcoming album), the more of that "slippery" thing I hear in his playing. Even through some blazingly fast alternate-picked runs a la Yngwie, Morse, Gilbert, Petrucci, etc., Guthrie never sounds robotic and too on-the-beat. It's a very distinctive sound. He lets the notes slip around and I can tell that it's totally intentional or that it's just a natural part of his style and he doesn't even think about it. He has mentioned several times that he intentionally avoids sounding like Gilbert and Petrucci. I, for one, am glad that he does! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: That Slippery Thing Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
The more I listen to Guthrie (especially the snippets from the upcoming album), the more of that "slippery" thing I hear in his playing. Even through some blazingly fast alternate-picked runs a la Yngwie, Morse, Gilbert, Petrucci, etc., Guthrie never sounds robotic and too on-the-beat. It's a very distinctive sound. He lets the notes slip around and I can tell that it's totally intentional or that it's just a natural part of his style and he doesn't even think about it. He has mentioned several times that he intentionally avoids sounding like Gilbert and Petrucci. I, for one, am glad that he does! Very Happy

Yeah agreed on the Gilbert thing, I've always found him mechanical with a cold, harsh, way too metallic, ear irritating tone. Luckliy Guthrie has a warm, thick, ballsy distorted tone, and a clear, bell-like clean tone.

Smile
BluePowder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: I totally agree Reply with quote

The more I listen to Guthrie on his own, the more I find snippets of his playing which I find so uniquely his. It's like he's a huge ass melting cauldron of his own various influences. I wish I would play like that, without sounding all particularly scalar, and with such predicatable timing.

I watched the clips, listening to the various mp3s over and over again, Govan incorporates a certain bouncy swing feel in whatever playing style he adapts. I love it!

His tone is just so amazing. It's so raw, so organic. I bet he doesn't use that much gain. The tone is just so natural!
gumby3bh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Guthrie's "slippery" playing, but I gotta disagree with you guys about Gilbert, as he is my favorite player. Very Happy
Blue Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbert's a great player, a real monster. I've seen him several times. Truly amazing. That being said, I've never seen anyone quite like Guthrie. He does so many things so well that it boggles the mind. It's like he's lived the lives of 10 different kinds of virtuosos. Yeah, the slippery thing that GG has is really cool and sets him apart from the pack.
James W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the greats; Holdsworth, Lane are very smooth players and Guthrie is equally smooth; no one else is in his league at the present time...

Alternate picking for sure as it is far harder making that sound smooth...

Compared to the virtuosi Ed mentioned, Guthrie sounds far more natural and organic... its all so nonchalant to him... very natural...
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finally heard Guthrie. What really sets him apart, to me, from the 10 million "shredders" on the planet, is his legato and big musical vocabulary, which are exactly what I like about Scott Henderson as well.
Players like Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Gambale and even Holdsworth play more within their specific niches. Don't get me wrong, these are some of my absolute favorites-- but what when I started listening to Henderson, I found his playing refreshing because he can instantly reach into lots of different bags. He's like Holdsworth with a little dirt under his nails and Beck without so much dirt under his nails-- and a little Johnny Winter in between. Guthrie Govan is the first guy to come along and knock me off my Scott Henderson hobby horse-- and I was doing just fine. GG's got a big fat analogue tube tone, monster chops and goes anywhere he wants to without making you feel he needs to stay close to any one safe familiar niche. At the same time, he takes you along and you don't feel afraid to step outside with him. His fat tone and melodic sense help maintain that cabin pressure throughout the flight.
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Although my ears are still popping...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinline72 wrote:
I just finally heard Guthrie. What really sets him apart, to me, from the 10 million "shredders" on the planet, is his legato and big musical vocabulary, which are exactly what I like about Scott Henderson as well.
Players like Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Gambale and even Holdsworth play more within their specific niches. Don't get me wrong, these are some of my absolute favorites-- but what when I started listening to Henderson, I found his playing refreshing because he can instantly reach into lots of different bags. He's like Holdsworth with a little dirt under his nails and Beck without so much dirt under his nails-- and a little Johnny Winter in between. Guthrie Govan is the first guy to come along and knock me off my Scott Henderson hobby horse-- and I was doing just fine. GG's got a big fat analogue tube tone, monster chops and goes anywhere he wants to without making you feel he needs to stay close to any one safe familiar niche. At the same time, he takes you along and you don't feel afraid to step outside with him. His fat tone and melodic sense help maintain that cabin pressure throughout the flight.

Yup, it's his vast musical vocabulary that knocks you out after hearing or watching him for two hours or more. I just can't think of anyone who covers the breadth of styles, techniques, sounds, and moods that he does. Have you seen the Tone Merchants DVDs? There's nearly 3 hours of material in those 2 discs and he doesn't repeat a single lick twice. He does employ his trademark techniques and phrases here and there and you'll notice this when you've seen or listened to about 5 hours of him playing, but even then, he'll very rarely repeat himself.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gumby3bh wrote:
I love Guthrie's "slippery" playing, but I gotta disagree with you guys about Gilbert, as he is my favorite player. Very Happy

Gilbert's a great player - a real monster. I saw him do a clinic for Ibanez in Korea and hung out with him afterwards for dinner and a few cups of tea. I was surprised by how mellow and down-to-earth he was. He even told me that he moved to Vegas from LA because the Northridge earthquake in the late-90's freaked him out. It'd be really fun to see Guthrie jam with Paul. I bet they'd get along really well. Paul sure has that natural effortless talent.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
thinline72

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, it's his vast musical vocabulary that knocks you out after hearing or watching him for two hours or more. I just can't think of anyone who covers the breadth of styles, techniques, sounds, and moods that he does. Have you seen the Tone Merchants DVDs? There's nearly 3 hours of material in those 2 discs and he doesn't repeat a single lick twice. He does employ his trademark techniques and phrases here and there and you'll notice this when you've seen or listened to about 5 hours of him playing, but even then, he'll very rarely repeat himself.

Thanks for reminding me-- I've gotta get those DVD's. Still watching the little clips on the site. Yeah, I think GG is the next big deal and it'll be awhile before we see his spin-offs.

Everybody back to the woodshed!!
gumby3bh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
gumby3bh wrote:

Gilbert's a great player - a real monster. I saw him do a clinic for Ibanez in Korea and hung out with him afterwards for dinner and a few cups of tea. I was surprised by how mellow and down-to-earth he was. He even told me that he moved to Vegas from LA because the Northridge earthquake in the late-90's freaked him out. It'd be really fun to see Guthrie jam with Paul. I bet they'd get along really well. Paul sure has that natural effortless talent.

Yea, Paul really is one of the coolest/nicest guys I've ever met. (He's not my favorite just because of his playing!) He let me go up on stage after the show and play his guitar and he answered all my questions and talked to me for quite awhile after everyone else had left. From what I hear, Guthrie is a lot like this as well and I look forward to meeting him someday. Here's me with Paul's #1 which he's had for 18 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: