Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Cornford "Introducing.." CD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cornford "Introducing.." CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: The Cornford "Introducing.." CD Reply with quote

Hello. Apologies if there's already been a thread on this, but I can't find one so....

Has anyone heard the "Introducing" CD that Cornford released featuring Guthrie & Jamie Humphries? If so, what's on it and is it worth getting?

Cheers,
Alun
Gingi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alun,

The Cornford CD includes “Erotic Cakes” & “Wonderful Slippery Thing” by Guthrie, and “Ceremony” & “From Scratch” by Jamie Humphries.

It certainly is worth getting! Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice little demo CD, but these versions of the Guthrie tunes aren't very exciting and do not capture what Guthrie is all about IMHO. I think the guitars are a little too far back in the mix and somewhat fluffy in the production side of things. I know the final versions that will come out in the solo album won't sound anything like these versions.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this for a fiver at the Music Live Exhibition in Birmingham. I've been intrigues by Guthrie without actually hearing him playing his own music. But after a few spikey bars of 'Erotic Cakes' I was transfixed. It's got a staccato, jerky rhythm that has you on the edge of your seat listening to it before an accessible Holdsworthesque lead break at 55 sec. The spikey rhythm begins again before the weird ring modulator sequence and odd time signature changes. It left me breathless and wanting more! I should add that it appears to be a 'live track' as there's cheering in the background and is only 3:52 long. 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' (3:23) is a funky, clean jazz toned piece with a nice melody before a 'chorused' lead breaks in with some tasty licks. Again theres a bit of the jerky, stop and startiness to the lead which I really like in my music.

What a great musician and if his other work is like this, I can't wait to get my hands on his solo CD-whenever that comes out!

At last a British guitarist to rival our Italian-Americans cousins! Wink
treeduck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bad Bill wrote:
I just bought this for a fiver at the Music Live Exhibition in Birmingham. I've been intrigues by Guthrie without actually hearing him playing his own music. But after a few spikey bars of 'Erotic Cakes' I was transfixed. It's got a staccato, jerky rhythm that has you on the edge of your seat listening to it before an accessible Holdsworthesque lead break at 55 sec. The spikey rhythm begins again before the weird ring modulator sequence and odd time signature changes. It left me breathless and wanting more! I should add that it appears to be a 'live track' as there's cheering in the background and is only 3:52 long. 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' (3:23) is a funky, clean jazz toned piece with a nice melody before a 'chorused' lead breaks in with some tasty licks. Again theres a bit of the jerky, stop and startiness to the lead which I really like in my music.

What a great musician and if his other work is like this, I can't wait to get my hands on his solo CD-whenever that comes out!

Ahhh BBB fancy meeting you here...

At last a British guitarist to rival our Italian-Americans cousins! Wink

Fancy meeting you here BBB...
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea who treeduck is, I've never sat in a bar with him and talked about Govan, Vai or Satch and we've never spent a day with Steve Vai and played EVO Wink

How are you mate? You know you have Govan hair, treeduck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: