Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Using a rack system..
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a rack system..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Using a rack system.. Reply with quote

I've recently been thinking about creating a rack system that will consitiute and all-encompassing and portable, gigable thing for a semi-professional and i was hoping some of you might have experience with midi technology and the like, which i believe was well thought of in the 80s (i'm a wee bit young and missed all that)

Does anyone here run a rack system and have any preferences to the sort of gear that they stock them with? Ed, i know you built up a rack for guthrie for his clinic, but that this only contained the power-amp and effects rather than any preamp...are you familiar with the marshall JMP1 and would you rate this?

I was thinking about a rack after seeing the speed and ease with which seth sets up at the bassment....just trundles his rack and cab in and goes for it. What kind of cost would a pre-amp, effects unit and mixer etc. Be do you think?

Thought this might help others on the forum who, like me, will never have the money for a cornford but may require pro level versitility. Thanks for any help you can give to this Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the JMP-1 is rated pretty high as far as MIDI preamps go. I haven't tried it in person myself although I've heard others play it. I'd say that in conjunction with a decent single-space processor like the TC G-Major or the G-Force and a single-space power amp (tube or solid-state) with a couple of 1x12's and you've got a very compact and portable system with lots of flexibility and versatility.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I'd say the JMP-1 is rated pretty high as far as MIDI preamps go. I haven't tried it in person myself although I've heard others play it. I'd say that in conjunction with a decent single-space processor like the TC G-Major or the G-Force and a single-space power amp (tube or solid-state) with a couple of 1x12's and you've got a very compact and portable system with lots of flexibility and versatility.

I've heard a few good things about the Mesa Tri-Axis as well as the JMP-1, have you ever got any feedback about it? ...And also, the TC Electronic G-Major is a great effects processor, very versatile!
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rig that will be of interest; Marshall JMP1; Marshall EL34 100 watt valve pwer amp; TC Electronics G Major FX; Behringer Midi control pedal; 2 2X12 Marshall Stereo cabs in a 10 unit wheeled flightcase.

I play in several bands and this is sort of rig is great for when you need many very different tones within a set - or song. It is nice to be able to go, for example, from a cutting texas blues lead to a smooth Petrucci "Images and Words" era lead to a crystalline Landau type LA session gun sound all within a couple of bars and the touch of a couple of pedal presets.

However this isnt a cheap option - you do need a decent power amp or it will sound as fizzy as hell; and you need top quality leads throughout. This is a £2000+ rig.............about the same as a Cornford.

Unless you really need all the versatility a rig like this provides - ie you are in an earning band that requires a lot of different authentic sounds (ie a semi or pro level function or covers) then I would go for a Cornford.

In the UK the Triaxis is around three to four times as expensive so I couldnt really justify getting one...especially as my next amp purchase will be Cornford rig for my own original material. When I save up enough that is.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: