Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Steve Vai
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Vai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampthang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Km pee doo wee is the track, technically its all there but doesnt have vais feel... cant fault guthrie though!!
sah5150

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Vai a couple months back when he was here on tour and although the show was 1/2 hour to long for my taste, he and his band were a revelation. His set was incredible and his command of the instrument and phrasing were amazing. He has truly carved out his own nitch in the instrumental guitar world.

Would love for him to sign Guthrie to fv...

Steve
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" is a great track...
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a G3 with John and Steve wouldn´t make too much sense. I think GG would have to change his playing a bit not to feel out of sight there. SV and JS are totally rock players, whereas GG´s canvas includes so many more colors... I think he would have to water it down a bit.

Bumblefoot and IA, that´s a different story. IA is a great improviser as well, not so firmly rooted in jazz. However, he´s got a great ear and his style is always fresh. As for Bumblefoot, no idea, never seen him play.

I think GG belongs more in the Brett Garsed, Greg Howe stage... Almost is scary just to think of jamming with two monsters like those...!

John Petrucci
Mattriani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Vai me to the moon Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to see Steve next week in Hammersmith. Any of you want me to give him a Guthrie DVD in person?
(I'll be claiming expenses from all of you).

I'll try and get a photo of me handing it to him, thus elevating myself to fame, or something akin.

PS - Yo, Frankus.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vai me to the moon Reply with quote

Mattriani wrote:
Well, I'm going to see Steve next week in Hammersmith. Any of you want me to give him a Guthrie DVD in person?
(I'll be claiming expenses from all of you).

I'll try and get a photo of me handing it to him, thus elevating myself to fame, or something akin.

PS - Yo, Frankus.

Cool, I'm going to see Steve in Manchester and you can bet I'll be plugging Guthrie!! I'll tell him Guthrie is the ideal guy for the G3 gig, which he'd have no problem adapting to...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure Steve has copies of the DVDs. I sent extra copies to Dweezil Zappa and he advised me that he forwarded them to Steve. A lot of people who went to see Vai here in the US told me that they mentioned Guthrie to him after the shows and that Steve listened to what they had to say about Guthrie with a great deal of curiosity and interest. I can't imagine Steve not being impressed by Guthrie. But at the same time, I'd say the jury's still out until Guthrie releases the solo album.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
BluePowder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Guthrie and Vai have already met actually given the fact that Guthrie has worked with GT Magazine for so long. Vai has done so many interviews and features with them.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluePowder wrote:
I would think that Guthrie and Vai have already met actually given the fact that Guthrie has worked with GT Magazine for so long. Vai has done so many interviews and features with them.

I know for sure that Guthrie hasn't met Vai yet. Guthrie writes those articles for GT at his home or school and sends them in. But I'm sure their paths will cross in the near future and that Guthrie would be excited to meet him. Guthrie's solo album needs to come out first and get some mainstream exposure and recognition before Satch will consider Guthrie for G3. Personally, I believe it's just a matter of time.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my teach writes for GT a little too, the mag office is in Bath. The team are pretty spread out. But, Nev Martin has been sighted coming along to watch Dave K standing in for Guthrie at the bassment Wink

I have the power!
Mattriani

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Guthrie just needs some wider exposure before Satch will consider him - although the irony is, most guitar aficionados will be into guitar mags, and Guthrie's all over GT, so he's kind of already in the public consciousness anyway.

What Guthrie needs are 2 things;

1) CD release
2) Positive Reviews

One will follow the other. Patience, brethren.. Our Hirsuite Fretlord* will have the recognition he deserves.

*Do I get the copyright for that?

In fact, I'm going to refer to GG as Our Hirsuite Fretlord from now on and I urge you to do the same. If YJM can have a trade mark, so can Our Hirsuite Fretlord.
art

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he needs is his website up before the album launch to get some buzz.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

art wrote:
What he needs is his website up before the album launch to get some buzz.

Darth Zappa wrote:

Commander, the Emperor is concerned with your progress on the completion of this web-site and has sent me here to personally oversee it's completion.

I find your lack of content.... disturbing....

hmm no fooling.

I often wondered about Princess Leia's poncho in Return of the Jedi.. I mean was it a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

I have the power!
art

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sears, it looks like it's made from giant poodle fur rather than cotton.
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, treeduck asked Steve Vai if he'd heard of Guthrie and his playing, when we met Vai before the Manchester gig a few weeks ago and Steve said he'd never heard of Guthrie Govan! Shocked

We did wonder if he couldn't follow treeduck's 'Mancunian quacking' but he sounded pretty intelligible to me! Strange!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: