Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Just bought a Hellcat!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a Hellcat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim_Cross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Just bought a Hellcat! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Inspired in part by hearing Guthrie's tone live, and by the Tone Merchants clips, I bought a used Cornford Hellcat Head on eBay yesterday, and seperately a Cornford 2x12 cab Very Happy
I managed to pick up the head yesterday, but now have the pain of having the head sitting there with no cab to plug it into! Will be taking it over to the studio tonight and borrowing one of their cabs...can't wait!

A couple of questions for those familiar with Cornfords:
Firstly, any idea when it would have been made? It's serial number 25.
Secondly, the seller reckons all valves are the original ones, but I'm assuming it's a number of years old and while it is in good condition it looks like it's been used at least in the studio. I guess it's worth replacing the power amp valves? If I buy a set of matched Sovtek EL84s, do I need to get the amp re-biased or can they just be slotted straight in? Also, how easy is it get replace the valves? Is it something that a qualified amp tech would have to do?
If so, anyone got any recommendations for a good amp tech in Essex, or possibly London?

Cheers,

Jim
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a Hellcat! Reply with quote

Jim_Cross wrote:
Hi guys,

Inspired in part by hearing Guthrie's tone live, and by the Tone Merchants clips, I bought a used Cornford Hellcat Head on eBay yesterday, and seperately a Cornford 2x12 cab Very Happy
I managed to pick up the head yesterday, but now have the pain of having the head sitting there with no cab to plug it into! Will be taking it over to the studio tonight and borrowing one of their cabs...can't wait!

A couple of questions for those familiar with Cornfords:
Firstly, any idea when it would have been made? It's serial number 25.
Secondly, the seller reckons all valves are the original ones, but I'm assuming it's a number of years old and while it is in good condition it looks like it's been used at least in the studio. I guess it's worth replacing the power amp valves? If I buy a set of matched Sovtek EL84s, do I need to get the amp re-biased or can they just be slotted straight in? Also, how easy is it get replace the valves? Is it something that a qualified amp tech would have to do?
If so, anyone got any recommendations for a good amp tech in Essex, or possibly London?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Your Hellcat was built on the 28th of August 2002, well final assembly date any how, best place to get valves is from us, you wont need to rebias, send us an email to info@cornfordamps.com and we shall get you underway, I shall be posting some pics of Guthrie from the Astoria show London on Saturday with his Hellcat and 4x12 on the Cornford forum, great show, well done boys Cool

Also welcome to the family Jim Very Happy

Talk soon

Paul

Cornford Group
56/57 Joseph Wilson Industrial Estate
Millstrood Road
Whitstable
Kent
England
CT5 3PS

Web www.cornfordamps.com
Official forum http://www.online-discussion.com/Cornfordamps/index.php

Tel +44 (0)1227 280000
Fax +44 (0)1227 771158
Jim_Cross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply - please see my mail from this morning.

Thanks,

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: