Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Is Guthrie really The son?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Guthrie really The son?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Is Guthrie really The son? Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed Guthrie's resemblance(?) to the stereotypical jesus? I was looking at some pics of him and to me there are some simmilarities, mainly the beard and the hair, but also the his humbleness etc. In the picture top left he could be preaching the word of the G note to Matthew "IA Eklundh". and Jhon "schofield". couldnt think of any guitarists called mark or luke or Mark. but does any one else see what i mean?[/img]
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zakk Barrett's Dad brought in a card with a picture of Jesus on (to the Bassment one night) and remarked on the likeness to Guthrie..

My wife and I have remarked in the past how keyboard player John Dutton resembles Bad Santa Wink

But if Guthrie was Jesus, then Ed would have to be John the Baptist, the voice from the wilderness the harbinger of change.

I think it's a tricky thing to answer, is it Guthrie immitating Jesus or Jesus immitating Guthrie? That's my impression of the Andy Warhol fan boy in the Doors movie Wink

Given what happened to the Beatles when they arrived in America and said "We're bigger than God" and the tour flopped .. or Robbie (spit) Williams, who was alledged to have said he "is bigger than the Beatles" when touring the US and was a flop.. I think religious comparisons are a bit of a no no (even by degrees of seperation), for the states at least. Guthrie deserves to be bigger than Robbie but people might take that to mean he was bigger than the Beatles too and therfore much bigger than God too, he'd be hated by all the religious nuts, the Beatles fan and .. I dunno .. a load of 40 year old women Wink... and that'd be bad.

Also the image of Jesus is a westernised image that was used by missionaries prior to colonisation.. it might have been a deliberate ploy to generate acceptance of european masters as Jesus was hardly likely to have blue eyes or fair hair, or it might have been that the images shown to europeans were flavoured with a european bias to ease conversion.. who knows.

The apostles would be:

Peter
Paul
Andrew
James
John
Phillip
Bartholomew
Matthew
Thomas
James
Simon
Judas
Thaddeus

If people want to pin apostles to guitarists Wink

I'd have Steve Lukather for Luke and K K Downing for Judas Iscariot Wink

I have the power!

Last edited by frankus on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget michael the arch angel(o) Laughing

el_decameron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but Jesus would play a Suhr...

...a Classic T, I reckon.
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: sure Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Zakk Barrett's Dad brought in a card with a picture of Jesus on (to the Bassment one night) and remarked on the likeness to Guthrie..

My wife and I have remarked in the past how keyboard player John Dutton resembles Bad Santa Wink

But if Guthrie was Jesus, then Ed would have to be John the Baptist, the voice from the wilderness the harbinger of change.

I think it's a tricky thing to answer, is it Guthrie immitating Jesus or Jesus immitating Guthrie? That's my impression of the Andy Warhol fan boy in the Doors movie Wink

Given what happened to the Beatles when they arrived in America and said "We're bigger than God" and the tour flopped .. or Robbie (spit) Williams, who was alledged to have said he "is bigger than the Beatles" when touring the US and was a flop.. I think religious comparisons are a bit of a no no (even by degrees of seperation), for the states at least. Guthrie deserves to be bigger than Robbie but people might take that to mean he was bigger than the Beatles too and therfore much bigger than God too, he'd be hated by all the religious nuts, the Beatles fan and .. I dunno some Robbie fans... and that'd be bad.

Also the image of Jesus is a westernised image that was used by missionaries prior to colonisation.. it might have been a deliberate ploy to generate acceptance of european masters as Jesus was hardly likely to have blue eyes or fair hair, or it might have been that the images shown to europeans were flavoured with a european bias to ease conversion.. who knows.

The apostles would be:

Peter
Paul
Andrew
James
John
Phillip
Bartholomew
Matthew
Thomas
James
Simon
Judas
Thaddeus

If people want to pin apostles to guitarists Wink

I'd have Steve Lukather for Luke and K K Downing for Judas Iscariot Wink

Yeah appreciated that a religious comparison is a big no no, or religious 'caparison'!! i meant mainly towards the physical appearance being simmilar to that of a stereotypical western jesus, but you have a good point about the beatles and robbie williams!!
Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: disciples Reply with quote

i think thaddeus would have to be Thaddeus "ziras", and philip would perhaps be Philip "bynoe"( the bass player)
treeduck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a few: Andrew could be Andy Timmons that fits very nicely and Matt Garrison could be Matthew, John Pettrucci would be John while Paul could be Paul Gilbert, Phillip would be Phil Keaggy, Peter could be Peter Green, Thomas would be Tom Morello. And then you could have Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix as the two James' but who would be James the greater and who would be James the lessor?

Wink
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
Well here's a few: Andrew could be Andy Timmons that fits very nicely and Matt Garrison could be Matthew, John Pettrucci would be John while Paul could be Paul Gilbert, Phillip would be Phil Keaggy, Peter could be Peter Green, Thomas would be Tom Morello. And then you could have Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix as the two James' but who would be James the greater and who would be James the lessor?

Wink

But what about Rufus?

Anyone who gets the reference can have a cookie.
treeduck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
treeduck wrote:

Wink

But what about Rufus?

Gaius Musonius Rufus?
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
treeduck wrote:

Wink

But what about Rufus?

Gaius Musonius Rufus?

Not what I was referring to.
treeduck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
treeduck wrote:

Wink

But what about Rufus?

Gaius Musonius Rufus?

So what were you referring to then mate? Razz
kabuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
treeduck wrote:

Wink

But what about Rufus?

Gaius Musonius Rufus?

George Carlin Rufus?
James W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God... Rolling Eyes
el_decameron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_decameron wrote:
...but Jesus would play a Suhr...

...a Classic T, I reckon.

Dear....God....Guthrie got his T...

http://online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=706

Very Happy
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't tell me someone who could withstand savage beatings followed by a crucifixion would bother getting contours on his telecaster. Comparison over in my book. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: