Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Hellborg & IA Clip
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hellborg & IA Clip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n_mountain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Hellborg & IA Clip Reply with quote

Hi there,

just wanted to say that there's a video of Jonas Hellborg & IA Eklundh in Mumbai on the Freak Kitchen Homepage:
http://www.freakkitchen.com/index.html

The quality isn't the best but it's interesting nonetheless.
Seems like Mr.Eklundh is slowly getting into the more improvised side of music.

If I'm not wrong some of you guys will be able to see them at NAMM very soon.
Greets
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really love ia's playing. saw him live the first time in 1988 or 1989. a lot has happened sincem... he's not only a great and influental player (he's probably one of the most influental hard rock guitar heroes today), he is also spreading cool attitude to a lot of kid guitar wankers out there (as compared to lets say zakk wylde). in my opinion: a cool guy with great chops, personal sound, who actually seems to have read a few books, and with a great sense of humour. i was really excited about the hellborg collaboration, BUT the only cool thing with this video is ia's rant! i really hope this song isn't representative for the set they played in india. ia knows how to play Wink , but sometimes he can be a bit too much lick and sound based even for my tastes. i was hoping that this project would force him to concentrate more on note choice than on whammy bar antics and tapping licks (i know i'm really really unfair now. ia rules, but sometimes ...). but i'm sure there's better stuff than this from the india tour. i'm sorry, it just doesn't sound cool. i would love to hear something from the jam that jens + anders johansson, hellborg and ia did though. that might be a cool combination.

the blog from the tour is a fantastic read though, if you have the reading stamina.
n_mountain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I know what you mean with IA being sometimes to sound based. But that didn't actually bother me that much in the clip.
What I found interesting is how extremely controlled he is playing. There was the discussion of Guthrie beeing to exact for some people. I think IA is another guy who plays so extremely clean that it sounds ...?... well maybe keyboardish at times?!

but back to controlled playing. I was watching the Shawn Lane Hellborg Clips and now I DONT want to compare Lane and IA, I just wanted to point out that Lane is going at it, he's letting loose whereas IA plays very 'restricted'. It looks as if he doesn't dare to let loose.
I mean maybe it's because these are his first public steps as an improviser. Or his respect for Hellborg. (I read the Blog, quite interesting!).

I would love to see him let loose someday.

All that being said, I also think IA is one of the real great guitar players out there. I mean, he's the reason I'm actually looking at "guitar Heroes" again. Saw him last year doing a Laney clinic at Frankfurt Musikmesse and it got me interested again for the little world of electric guitar music. Smile
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't wan't to say anything bad about IA. I have the highest respect for him and he deserves even more praise than he gets. the India tour seems to have been a chaotic experience with a new band without much rehersal time. I'm sure the concerts were great, and I'd sure want to have seen any of them. But judging from this particular clip, it doesn't sound very inspired. Especially not IA (apart from his rap).

I wouldn't compare this at all to the Lane/Sipe/Hellborg-outfit. I've seen people on other forums immediately commenting on IA as Lanes replacer. This is another band, another situation, other musicians. Lane and IA couldn't be further apart, and Sipes contribution was massive when he played with them. I saw that constellation in a small club environment in the mid 90's, and my god was that a transcendent experience. I knew what to expect from Lane (still wet myself), but Sipes drumming was some of the most musical drumming I've ever heard (especially when trashing his drumkit in the end!).

Hellborg hasn't always sounded great to me. I love some of his playing, but not all. I saw him doing a show with Jens and Anders Johansson and a singer called Gary Cooper (!) in 1990 or 1991, that was awesome (more or less the same material as the album they did together sans the singer). Pandemonium in a jazz club! Really great, brutal, funny, groovy and heavy. The intersting thing is that I read in one of his blogs that IA was at the same concert (Nefertiti in Gothenburg) and that he thought it was one of the most intense shows he'd seen (or something like that).

Hopefully a lot of good things will happen between those two. And I'm positive it'll be better than the clip from India.

n_mountain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read about that "Pandemonium" Gig. Cool, that you've been there.

Besides seeing that you are from Sweden and talking about IA, have you ever been at his Freak Guitar Camp??
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n_mountain wrote:
Yeah I read about that "Pandemonium" Gig. Cool, that you've been there.

Besides seeing that you are from Sweden and talking about IA, have you ever been at his Freak Guitar Camp??

no I haven't. was tempted this summer when bbfoot was there. i'm getting older and feel good about sitting around at home stealing bartok licks Very Happy i don't know IA personally but quite a few of my friends does, and i have many friends that have been taking lessons from him on and off during the last fifteen years. it's my opinion that IA is doing a lot of good things within the rock guitar community, especially with his camps, and spreading a cool attitude about music, art and life in general. it that might not be the cure for cancer, but its still still a rare thing in the rock world. he seems to be the right kind of encouraging force for young rock guitar players, although i've heard examples of some hideous IA clones. but that's a small price to pay for having less zakk wyldish people around (and i really like wyldes playing). i think he shares this with bbfoot (to me he's on a higher level though), who's also pretty vocal and not at all wound up in attitude but tries to communicate positive stuff to his fans.
n_mountain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny,

I was tempted as well last year but than I didn't go. So we would have almost met Smile
Well, you probably would have gone to the swedish camp...

...and true about the attitude. I always prefer artists who seem to be nice humans.
Nothing against a good show on stage but you don't need to wreck your hotel room...
(are we feeding cliches??? Wink)
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n_mountain wrote:
Nothing against a good show on stage but you don't need to wreck your hotel room...
(are we feeding cliches??? Wink)

Nowadays I find myself more often in hotel rooms than onstage giving great shows, which leaves me left with only one thing to do. I always try to demolish just a little little bit when travelling Mr. Green

I don't find boozing and raising hell to be wrong, as long as you can have a laugh at yourself. If your way of comunicating, apart from sometimes brilliant guitar playing, is standing on stage and announcing to kids "Fuck Iraq", then I think you're way out of line. I haven't seen Zakk Wylde doing this myself, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong -- as I said, cool playing, but lousy image and attitude (even though he kind of looks sweet in a way). Zakk is only an example of someone very far from BBfoot and IA, and I know who I personally can relate to. Although I really like to get drunk and make a fool out of myself Wink

I've seen Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech about seven times, and I can't stop being impressed by the fact that on their stage sometimes the worlds absolutely best jazz fusion live act is giving a hell of a gig while partying pretty heavy. On the second date on their last European tour Scott seemed pretty pissed and commented during the second set that he really didn't know what he was doing.

Silly? Yes! But no one can accuse Scott Henderson for having a bad attitude, for not being humble and genereous, and for not giving a jaw dropping and musically satisfactory performance.

I like rock clichés. I just can't stand people who are proud of themselves being anti intellectual.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Zakk's attitude and comments often leave me annoyed. He does seem like one's typical oaf, and it's obvious where his cultural/political leanings are Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: