Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Questions for Guthrie - Thread #2
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for Guthrie - Thread #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie, thanks for your insights as usual. I'm really amazed by the sheer variety and volume of musical content that you've absorbed and enjoy. It's quite evident that you have not only passingly listened to these other great artists, but that you've really absorbed them deeply into your musicial consciousness. Now we know why you're so good at so many things!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Various questions Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:

frankus wrote:
1) Would the Fellowship ever consider putting their spin on a Zappa tune? say "We're not alone" from "The man from Utopia"?

2) The Bassment version of Afro Blue seems to shorten the last three notes of the response in the call and response motiff (if that makes sense). At the risk of sounding like a 'jealous listener', was there a reason for that?

3) Have you guys been tempted to cover Pharoah Sander's tunes?

1) That would be splendid! "King Kong" or "Peaches..." would certainly work, as might "Marqueson's Chicken" or "Moggio"; actually, the most Bassment-compatible track I can think of is probably "Uncle Remus"...[snip]

2) I think I know what you mean - the F-G-Am bit, where we spend a beat on each chord instead of a beat and a half? No real reason - Pete suggested it once upon a time, and it seemed like some harmless fun...

3) Not until now Wink

Excellent!!

I hadn't thought of Uncle Remus as an instrumental (assuming it would be instrumental) but it'd be really in keeping (IMHO). The only other Zappa tune that I can think of that's even near would be 'Lucille has messed up my mind', I'm considering asking my guitar teacher to help me transcribe that, it's lush Cool.

I reckon Zak's take on Led Zep would be cool, although I can't help but wince at the memory of Stanley Jordan playing Stairway to Heaven.. the lift music.. the distortion.. the horror.

As for Sanders \m/Twisted Evil\m/ wassit gonna be "The creator has a masterplan", "Thembi" .. "Astral Travelling".. that'd be most cool.

Well that's managed to relieve the 8 hour meeting blues I had at 6:30 Wink ta.

I have the power!
shredrulez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guthrie, i know you're probably tired of "what do you think of..." questions, but did you get into uli roth and michael schenker at all? and one more! Wink how about gary moore?
adrianclark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Various questions Reply with quote

Blimey, it's like the Intermusic forums, but with better spelling and grammar Wink Hi Guthrie! Good to see you online, and thanks for taking the time with this sort of thing.

Guthrie wrote:
frankus wrote:
Jazz III XL Series.

Worthy picks, imho - was it not Duncan M who was bemoaning the itty-bittiness of the regular Jazz IIIs? Well, the XLs are the size of "proper" picks

Now that's good news. After using (red) Jazz IIIs for about 12 years, I had to stop - for some reason, their shorter length suddenly started giving me cramp in my picking hand, because I wasn't able to relax properly. I'm definitely going to check out the XLs...

Quote:
actually, the most Bassment-compatible track I can think of is probably "Uncle Remus"...I fear I'm the most obsessive Zappa fan in the band, though, so working any of the above tunes into the setlist would take some evangelical work on my part!

I'm familiar with the feeling of being the most obsessive Zappa fan in [insert social grouping here] so I know what you mean. There's always an initial barrier of unfamiliarity to break down with any artist, but it's so much more difficult with FZ. Just how do you describe his music to a total beginner? 'Uncle Remus', though... what a truly wonderful tune. Great chord progression.

Quote:
No, teaching can be a lot of fun if you have the right students. For me, this has nothing to do with how accomplished they are, or even how quickly they learn - it's more a question of whether they want to be there and have a real interest in music.
I've had private students in the past whose parents were basically paying me to keep their kids occupied, so there'd be at least one hour a week where young Tarquin wouldn't be sniffing glue or trashing payphones... That kind of teaching is no fun at all, and I started turning those kind of students away as soon as I could afford to.

Absolutely. Back when I was teaching a lot of teenagers, I often had the most fun with the girls (no... wait... Wink). Even as fans of non-flashy guitar music such as Nirvana or Oasis, *so* many of the boys already had the wrong attitude... "how fast can Slash play?" "what's the most expensive guitar?" "I need to learn all the scales now". The statistics were more important to them than the creation of music. The few girls I taught, though, were far more interested in how things sounded and how chords could be combined to make... music!

And yeah... babysitting for the idle rich is an unfortunate risk involved with guitar teaching. Very Happy

Adrian
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Indian music Reply with quote

This thread seems a little abandoned, so I hope this post isn't in vain. Anyway Guthrie, I was wondering if you had much of an interest in Indian music, and if so whether or not you know much about the forms and rhythms etc...

Ed mentioned hearing you crank out some Indian-ish sounding stuff on the fretless Vigier he heard you play. He also mentioned it sounded like the proverbial SHEE-YAT!! Bam. Or if not in those exact words, he said (or typed, as it were) something suggesting it was cool-city2000.
Will

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie, I was at the bassment gig last thursday and overheard you talking to someone during the interval. You jokingly mentioned that you were pretty pissed.

anyway, seing as I can't play bugger all after about 2 pints I thought i'd ask how much booze it takes until you can't play at all! (there must be such a thing as "too much"?)

I did hear you at the time admit that it was a lot, but it was still probably some of the best playing i've ever seen you play... you mentalist!

Laughing
bill®

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
anyway, seing as I can't play bugger all after about 2 pints I thought i'd ask how much booze it takes until you can't play at all! (there must be such a thing as "too much"?)

That's a damn good question. I'd also be curious as to how cannabis affects your playing...y'know, not that you'd know of course.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man's from Chelmsford! Of course he'd know! Laughing
dinojackson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie, how would you compare Briggs guitars with other guitars you have? Very Happy
SRV463

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just gotta say

We love you in texas Guthrie please come tour here Smile
GuitarFred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie. Would it be possible to get a signed photo from you? Love your playing, and I just ordered your creative guitar books.
I heard many good words about them, so I just had to check them out. Smile
'Frag' Ginbey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve followed the links on this site and I must say how impressed I am by the technical wizardry and supreme invention of this young upstart but one question remains- where are the tunes I can hum to my baby daughter?
Will

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a childrens book somewhere i'd expect Razz

guffaw gufffaw
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that is the first use of sardonism I've seen on this forum Smile

I think you'll be lining your child up for a world of isolation if you sing her Guthries slower jazz tunes like Afro Blue or Cop Show. I went to school knowing Steeleye Span, Grateful dead and the Beatles.. my shins were never the same.

My son was an AC/DC fan at 4... I had such high hopes when he was in Mum as he moved to Hendrix, Coltraine, Sanders and Vai

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constructive criticism is good. Surprised Writing those kinds of melodies is probably a lot tougher than most people think. But did we ever get those from Zappa, Coltrane, Wes, McLaughlin, Holsworth, etc.? Depends on the context. But I envision Guthrie also doing a lot in the future with vocal-oriented music, be it pop, mainstream rock, jazz, whatever... Perhaps he'll get an opportunity to write some songs for Asia. Perhaps for a female jazz singer. Perhaps some folk kind of thing. Who knows? Guthrie can branch off into over a dozen styles simultaneously without a hitch. His self-penned tunes like "Wonderful Slippery Thing" and even "Fives" show a lot of potential for some new melodies in the future that we can hum to our little loved ones. Seriously...

Seems Guthrie is real, real busy putting the finishing touches on the upcoming debut solo album. Besides his busy teaching schedule, that must be consuming a lot of his time and I believe that's why we haven't seen him around here for a while. But I'm sure we'll see him back here soon.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: