Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's New Axe for the Country Boy in Him!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's New Axe for the Country Boy in Him!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Guthrie's New Axe for the Country Boy in Him! Reply with quote

Guthrie will soon take delivery of an axe that will satisfy the redneck country boy that lives in his heart. Also, this one's quiet with the built-in SSC System to keep that twang while doing away with the annoying single-coil hum. The pic ain't all that great, but you get an idea...

Look for Guthrie to play some psychedelic country/funk/jazz at the Bassment when he returns to Chelmsford with this new axe! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks really nice. Just like a ... tele! Would love to hear Guthrie rip on it. What are the specs Ed? I heard that the SSC was real difficult to install into the Classic T?

jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking guitar.

Question for Ed: how does Guthrie come to get these guitars? Does he come to you, for instance, asking for a Tele-style guitar with silent pickups, or are you guys (Suhr) pushing new and different guitars his way in the hope he'll take more on? (Which of course can only be a good thing)

It's an innocent question, just wondering how these situations arise. I saw a wonderful looking Suhr Standard in Sounds Great (UK) a couple of weeks ago - for a brief moment I considered selling my car to fund it's purchase Smile
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gorgeous. I'll start attending again to see if I see it being played Wink

Certainly with the piezo pickup Guthrie had started doing all sorts of country licks, which were good fun in a jazz context.

I have the power!
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet looking T! I'm dying to try one of John's with a really fat neck and a very vintage vibe (pretty much a blackguard like that one). I have a couple of really nice teles to keep me occupied in the meantime, but I've heard so many good things about Suhrs that I'm rarin' to get my hands on one.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
Thanks. Looks really nice. Just like a ... tele! Would love to hear Guthrie rip on it. What are the specs Ed? I heard that the SSC was real difficult to install into the Classic T?

Yeah, this one's difficult to build in that we can't screw up once the SSC System is installed into the body. Since the SSC has to surround the bridge pickup and the bridge itself for maximum effectiveness in noise-cancellation, we have to cut the channel into the body, install the SSC, put a separate Ash top to cover the SSC, then do more sanding, painting, etc. before final assembly. If we screw up putting the top on or sanding or painting or whatever else (like cutting the wire that comes out of the SSC) on that body, we lose the SSC as it has to be glued into the channel. There's just no room for error once the SSC is installed.

As for the specs:

Lightweight Swamp Ash body with Swamp Ash top
Trans Butterscotch finish
One-piece Maple neck
'56 Big V neck shape
10-14" radius
Medium SS frets
3-Saddle Vintage T Bridge
1.650" nut width
Gotoh Kluson tuners
Tele Control Plate with SSC System
Suhr Chrome Neck T pickup
Suhr Classic T Bridge pickup
.010-.046 strings

It's really simple and straightforward except for the SSC. It will be a great workhorse guitar for a variety of classic Tele sounds. Although people often pigeonhole the Tele as a country guitar (like I did with the thread of this title Embarassed ), the Tele is a great rock guitar and quite a few jazz players love it, too. You have to remember that Jimmy Page primarily used a Tele for the early Zep records, including the mighty solo on 'Stairway'. I can't wait to hear what Guthrie does with this guitar myself!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Lovely looking guitar.

Question for Ed: how does Guthrie come to get these guitars? Does he come to you, for instance, asking for a Tele-style guitar with silent pickups, or are you guys (Suhr) pushing new and different guitars his way in the hope he'll take more on? (Which of course can only be a good thing)

It's an innocent question, just wondering how these situations arise. I saw a wonderful looking Suhr Standard in Sounds Great (UK) a couple of weeks ago - for a brief moment I considered selling my car to fund it's purchase Smile

No, Guthrie is not the type to ask for anything first. After he got hooked on the first Suhr of his (the Root Beer Standard), I figured I'd offer him different guitars for different musical purposes and situations. Then he'd offer some feedback on what he'd like and then we'd build the guitar to his specifications. But he's not anal or picky at all about the specs although he knows pretty well what works good for him and what doesn't.

Well, I have a pretty good idea on what Guthrie would like or not like, so I just tell Guthrie: "Hey, this is what we've got working for you!" After he got the Mahogany Cherry Burst Standard, I figured, "Well, Guthrie needs the ultimate Strat with the SSC..." Idea So the Standard guitars are the versatile all-around super Strats (but with very different tonal flavors), the Ocean Turquoise is the modern 60's-s type Strat, and now this guitar is the ideal 50's Tele with the new refinements: contoured body for comfort, flatter compound radius (which Guthrie said is rather important!), the stainless frets, the improved Tele bridge from Wilkinson, the Buzz Feiten Tuning System, and the SSC.

We'll keep working with Guthrie closely because he's so good in so many styles. The next guitars that we'll confer with Guthrie on are the set-neck Gibson-scale guitars. And after that, probably an archtop hollow-body jazz guitar... Then perhaps a steel-string acoustic. Oh yeah, and a 24-fret shred machine with recessed Floyd, a "Deathbucker" in the bridge position, Jumbo SS frets, etc. so Guthrie can shred to the max! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
It's really simple and straightforward except for the SSC. It will be a great workhorse guitar for a variety of classic Tele sounds. Although people often pigeonhole the Tele as a country guitar (like I did with the thread of this title Embarassed ), the Tele is a great rock guitar and quite a few jazz players love it, too. You have to remember that Jimmy Page primarily used a Tele for the early Zep records, including the mighty solo on 'Stairway'. I can't wait to hear what Guthrie does with this guitar myself!

I totally agree. Tele and rock belongs together Exclamation I find the Tele a really sexy instrument, even more than a Strat actually. I wan't one! But that big V shape neck would have to go Laughing

When it comes to contemporary tecjnical plaers: The Richie Kotzen model seems like a REALLY cool rock Tele to me, and Greg Howes old shred axe in Tele disguse looks pretty nice as well (although less orthodox). Those are both Fenders, but I doubt that the Suhr team wouldn't improve on those concepts Wink
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
It's really simple and straightforward except for the SSC.

...and the body contour, which I don't think is very common on classic teles. Not knocking it, just noticed it after I posted above.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
It's really simple and straightforward except for the SSC.

...and the body contour, which I don't think is very common on classic teles. Not knocking it, just noticed it after I posted above.

Yep, Guthrie said he prefers the contours. Might as well choose the path of least resistance! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

How the hell do you upload pics onto here???
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, use something like

http://www.photobucket.com/

to host the images on the net and then post a link in thread using the img buttons above the editting area.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie advised me that he got to plug his new T axe into the cranked Hellcat and he says that he's "stunned" and that it sounds "f@%king fantastic!" Very Happy He says he really likes the neck shape. It's meaty yet still very comfortable and fast. I guess it'll make its way into the new Asia album although his two Standards will be the primary guitars. Seems he's one happy camper! Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: