Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Bassment Deputy
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bassment Deputy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: The Bassment Deputy Reply with quote

Word on the street is that Dave K has been doing a more than stirling job than usual at the Bassment and I for one will be dropping by to check him out this week.

Anyone going?

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is a killer player and one of very few guitar players in the world who could fill that role and more than hold his own with his own style. I wish I could see him someday soon as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave has been superb while Guthries been away. We've been very lucky to have such a wonderful player and such a nice guy with it to be at the Bassment. If you're going try and persuade Dave and Zak to play Access Denied as their finale, absolutely fantastic way to end the evening. Oh also look out for Daves partner Ann-Marie. whooping and whistling in the crowd, shesfantastic, good looking too!!
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

I would love to down to the Basement sometime, only problam is, I have no idea how to get there.
I had a brief google search but couldnt find any info on where it is and what date gigs are on.
I know Guthrie plays on a Thursday, I would love to go down, Dave K is awsome, so would love to check him out as well.

Any help would be great!
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the streetmap location: http://tinyurl.com/dj3bp

The trains run from Liverpool street every ten minutes or so.
Nearest A road is the A12 which leaves the M25 at junction 28

Wink

I have the power!
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot appricate it.

Still cant find out about who plays there and when... I will definatly try and get down there soon,

Cheers again!
markmcg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out their website for live music info -

http://www.thebassmentclub.com/

Wish it was nearer Sad

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey... a web site... Shocked okay so it's flash but all the same top marks for effort Wink

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzyduck wrote:
Oh also look out for Daves partner Ann-Marie. whooping and whistling in the crowd, shesfantastic, good looking too!!

As well as being quite barmy, Anne's also a great singer/songwriter (and multi-instrumentalist) -

http://www.annemariehelder.com

Cheers,
Alun
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the deputy will be signing off next week. It'll be nice to see Guthrie back but let's hope it's not too long before we have Dave K. back and entertaining us!
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took both my brothers to the Bassment last week to check out the band. My little brother's been before so I didn't put him under the Any Warhol-esque magnifying glass.

My older brother is a proper Jazz nazi Laughing so he was watching the whole precedings with a stern and gimlet eye. His observations were quite interesting on the whole. Whilst he really like Zak's playing it wasn't until Zak swapped to the alto sax that the compliments really started flowing.. he was comparing Zak to other sax greats who only really flew on one instrument.

Being a drummer himself I was most keen on what he'd say about Pete Riley. He totally enjoyed that, his only gripe being the jazzer thing of swapping sticks for brushes,.. which Pete didn't do that week.

He heartily liked Seth from the moment he started playing and loved te bass solos. One very restrained the other a full on Stanley Clarke type thing.

Now, I never expected him to like guitar in the jazz arena, as he's pretty dismissive about Wes Montgomery, John Schofield and especially Pat Metheny ... much to the consternation of my Dad (who's a folky) and me... but the first thing he said about Guthrie was "that guy is really talented", this is from the guy who's reserve ensures compliments usually run to "he's pretty good". Shocked beyond that, well I think he really enjoyed watching Guthrie and Zak at different times, his musical preferences mean he'd go and watch Zak play anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Possibly the coolest thing was that my oldest brother was all set to move away from Chelmsford after going out the previous Friday and being shocked at how crass and crummy Chelmsford is, seeming to focus on drink and ogling the essex girls who basically wear a lot less than modesty, the weather or Trinny and Suzannah would suggest, for him Chelmsford was devoid of culture... and last thursday night he found a new haven, not entirely his bag in terms of Jazz-purity but a refuge none the less.

The night was more a success for us, as both me and my younger brother managed to leave before the owners had asked us to leave for the fourth time (each that is Wink). This has possibly never been achieved before and will be a record to beat in time.

Guthrie was playing the Classic-T and his picking arm was welded to the countour.. so much so there wasn't a hin of tapping all evening, but perhaps that was a reflection of the audience that night. He seems really chuffed with it.

I have the power!
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frankus was there last Thursday and have to admit that Zak and the boys were fantastic. Sat next to me was a young guy with his grandad! The lad looked about 16 and was told by his guitar teacher to go and have a look at Guthrie. He went on to explain that he saw Satriani,Via and E Johnson at the Albert Hall. He plays an Ibanez and goes to music college. My thoughts were: ain't it great that young kids ARE still interested to learn the guitar and hear guys like Guthrie play. The lad and his grandad left with big grins on their faces and shaking their heads, "all that for £4, unbelievable, we'll be back!"
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the concensus I've heard before was you'd pay 6 times as much to see a similar calibre band at Ronny Scotts.. to which my older bro added: I've been to Ronny Scotts and seen lots of bands that were nowhere near those guys.

I reckon the next person to invite in my "My name is Earl" like pursuit of musical karma, are these guys:

The father of the guy who introduced me to Frank Zappa. He said I should play guitar. His son also went to school with Guthrie.

The other lead guitarist from the Judas Priest tribute band I was in, his competitiveness was our downfall.. he needs the 5mins of madness and disorientation before refinding the musical path Wink

My Dad, well if Guthrie can make my older brother grin like a loon after hearing a psycho country lick in the middle of jazz/funk tune then pops might be ripe for conversion.. then I can boast 3 generations of the Booth family infected with the Fellowship meme.

A primary school friend who's recently moved to Chelmsford. He plays ukelele Cool

I'd like to get my son along to one of the gigs, there's one in Southend in April IIRC ... but I can't remember the date. he's listened to the CDs in the car countless times and I'd like him to see musicians making blazing music, see if it catches his imagination, I can't see it rivalling pokemon but it's worth a try Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey frankus, thanks for the report! It's good to get some real down-home tidbits of what's cooking on that side of the world. I'm glad to know that his new Classic T is getting some real gigging time at the Bassment! Tapping on a T? That just wouldn't look right! Twisted Evil Laughing So was Guthrie able to coax some nice warm jazz tones out of that T?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dave...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that, and it's odd that i should say this, but i haven't actually found guthrie's tones on the T to be that convincing as yet.

It's tough to say why.
I think... guitars like that are suited to very organic and woody tones (that is of course a matter of opinion). Dave Kilminster actually epitomises this: He turns up to a gig with a lead, a tele, an amp... a couple of pedals that rarely get used and he could do without, and he tears it up in the simplest way possible.

If you look at guthrie's feet he has loads of wee pedals that get pissed about with from time to time and i just feel recently that has detracted from his performance and his tone. He may be getting used to working the single coils though... the other week he was over-powering and the week before last he was a bit quiet... he is usually well balanced. Must say i feel he is more authentic with his Root beer coloured models, i forget the name of them.

Its not a problem at all, the music is still stunning, but to these untrained ears he is still finding his feet. As the band will tell you, that's exactly what the bassment gigs are for. I often wonder where they would be as musicians without six years of the bassment. Therapy night, training ground, whatever you call it; every thursday for six years guaranteed is a lifeline for professional level practise....

Dammit we should start a petition to get them Ronnie Scott's! I know Zak wants it, he sent them a cd but he's fairly convinced they never listened to it. Is that possible? How many signatures would we need to convince a place like that? A couple of hundred? haha

anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: