Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - What on earth is this all about?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What on earth is this all about?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: What on earth is this all about? Reply with quote

Laughing

Has anybody seen this happen live? I'd really be interested to hear what Guthrie playing bass sounds like.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie is an awesome bass player. In fact, he quit the guitar for a couple of years and played nothing but the bass in the past. He plays the bass live with Asia on a couple of tunes while the singer/bassist (John Payne) plays the acoustic during the unplugged segment of the show. Seems he's doing some Stu Hamm kind of tapping stuff on this photo.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy is a freak Smile
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, I'm sure he's awesome

I wouldn't be surprised if he was good at bagpipes, lol
dave...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is bloody good on the bass guirat, but if his performance with asia was anything to go by, he play bass like a guitarist playing bass. If that makes any sense. But bearing in mind what kind of guitarist he is, that makes him better than 90% of bassists anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him noodle with a bass and I thought he really approached it from a bass player's perspective. For one, he doesn't use a pick (while Asia's bassist John Payne does). He's great at funk popping and slapping as well. I heard that Guthrie had some violin training as well, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with his scary good intonation and facility on the fretless guitar.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Guth on the violin? I'm guessing there probably aren't, or at least none floating around. I'd also be very interested to hear him play the banjo since I believe it was mentioned that he dabbled a little.

Is he going to be playing bass on the album, or is Seth filling the role?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Hmmm...Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Guth on the violin? I'm guessing there probably aren't, or at least none floating around. I'd also be very interested to hear him play the banjo since I believe it was mentioned that he dabbled a little.

Is he going to be playing bass on the album, or is Seth filling the role?

I highly doubt that there are tracks of Guthrie on violin. Was it frankus who said that he heard Guthrie on the violin? Frankus, is this true? As for the banjo, I read here that it was a banjo guitar (six strings and tuned like a guitar), so I don't think that'd qualify for playing a real banjo. But I wouldn't be surprised if Guthrie could burn on one as well. I wonder if he plays classical guitar in the traditional method. I kknow he mentioned that he has a Takamine Spanish guitar lying around.

I think Seth played the bass on the album but I can't be certain. We'll find out soon enough! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Guthrie On Bass Reply with quote

Guthrie is an excellent bass player! Zak, Guthrie and I did a trio gig and Guthrie played bass. He played the bass part into the Boomerang on the head and then picked up his guitar.

I really don't think that Guthrie is a freak RD. He's simply a great musician and great musicians make great music on just about any instrument you give them. All they have to do is figure out how to operate the thing.

I sat with Zak in McDonalds and watched him polish off three cheesburgers in about 10 minutes ... Now that Mr. Barrett entitles YOU to be called a freak (Maybe you're ready for the coffee out of the machine at the Culver Centre)
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Was it frankus who said that he heard Guthrie on the violin? Frankus, is this true?

Nah I heard that he played a Caprice and Purple Haze in an assembly at School (KEGS) from a student I knew there in the sixth form. One tune was played on the violin and the other on electric guitar, Seth apparently played bass on the Hendrix number with a plaster cast on his arm.

I'll see if I can get the dude who witnessed it to relate the story again.

DoctorJazz, long time no hear, Heather says Hi and we'll arrange a date in the near future to go to the Bassment.. I mentioned I'd like a new guitar and the next thing I know we're moving house and buying a new car. Hope things are picking up again this year Wink

3 Cheeseburgers in 10 minutes Shocked is he working on a new technique? Burping the notes?

I have the power!

Last edited by frankus on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
RD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie On Bass Reply with quote

Doctor Jazz wrote:
I really don't think that Guthrie is a freak RD. He's simply a great musician and great musicians make great music on just about any instrument you give them. All they have to do is figure out how to operate the thing.

I meant it in positive way. And so he's a freak alright Wink
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie On Bass Reply with quote

RD wrote:
Doctor Jazz wrote:

I meant it in positive way. And so he's a freak alright Wink

If we're using Zappa parlance then Guthrie is a Mother, not a freak Wink

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: