Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - GUTHRIE NEWS!!!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUTHRIE NEWS!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredizalive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: GUTHRIE NEWS!!!!! Reply with quote

I got this info from Melodicrock.com -

ASIA SQUARES THE LEDGER – THE OFFICIAL WORD:
A big update from the Asia camp, which no doubt will see fans debating the merits of recent events. It seems the John Payne era of Asia is well and truly over. Read on...
From the updates at: www.asiaworld.org.
1. In order to allay recent speculation, it is confirmed that Geoffrey Downes and John Payne have dissolved their partnership. John and Geoff wish to make it clear that they disapprove of negativity in the public domain, and trust that they can both receive support in their future career choices - Adam Parsons, Siren Management, on behalf of John Payne Martin Darvill, Qedg Management, on behalf of Geoffrey Downes.
2. Asia are planning to play two European festivals this summer -- Sweden Rock Festival on 10th June and Rock of Ages in Germany on 28th July. The band will consist of John Payne, Guthrie Govan, Jay Schellen and a guest keyboardist. These dates were booked some time ago and the band wishes to honor their obligation. At this moment, plans are to release Architect of Time at some point in 2006. Details will be forthcoming as they are available.
3. John Payne, Guthrie Govan, and Jay Schellen of Asia have announced the formation of a new band called One. A deal has been signed with InsideOut Records and the band's self-titled debut album will be released on 23rd May in North America and 26th May in Europe. Keyboard duties on the album were handled by Ryo Okumoto from Spock's Beard. The band plans to play select shows during the summer with a full European tour in the fall of 2006. One will be unveiling their new web site in the near future.

THIS new band should be interesting. That was QUICK!!!!! Very Happy
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting stuff there... Very Happy

Wonder what the new band's like and how much writing input GG had...

AND

Where's the GG album????
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! Guthrie and John are really tight and Guthrie had nothing but superlatives to say about Jay. My thoughts are that Guthrie is going to have a lot of creative input in this band and that both Guthrie and John will not have the constraints that the name "Asia" had on them. This is a very positive development. I believe Guthrie needs an outlet to play in a band with vocals and traditional rock/pop song structures besides the instrumental Erotic Cakes and the Fellowship stuff, so this whole Asia "thing" could be great blessing in disguise.

As for Guthrie's solo album, we'll just have to sit tight...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Tanya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note :

John Payne has described the music of ONE as heavy prog with big chorus hooks,also that some of the songs are extremely long and musical.
Jay Schellen has said that the longest song is about 9 minutes and they all average at about 7 minutes !
I think it's safe to say that Guthrie has had a huge input into this -I'm really looking forward to it !!

Tanya
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
Just a quick note :

John Payne has described the music of ONE as heavy prog with big chorus hooks,also that some of the songs are extremely long and musical.
Jay Schellen has said that the longest song is about 9 minutes and they all average at about 7 minutes !
I think it's safe to say that Guthrie has had a huge input into this -I'm really looking forward to it !!

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Thank you very much for the info. We really appreciate it! Very Happy

I'm sure Guthrie has had a lot of input into this. There's no denying the musicianship of all involved - including Ryo Okumoto on keys from Spock's Beard. I knew from early-on that Guthrie and John were very tight and that John fully appreciated the magnitude of Guthrie's talent.

I've met Geoff whenever I went to see Guthrie rehearsing or recording or playing live with Asia. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but I got the sense that he was real world-weary and just trying to get the job done as a professional in the most expedient manner possible. The vibe I got from him was: "How do I make more money doing this gig?" Well, I'm not going to blame him or whatever.

With Geoff out of the picture, I can clearly imagine the passion, the fire, the drive, the creativity, and the unbridled enthusiasm of Guthrie, John, and Jay being put to work to the fullest. I know very well how John feels about Guthrie. My thoughts are that Guthrie's talent is what made it an easy decision for John to form ONE and continue pressing on with a new band for the future.

John is a great all-around musician - he can write, he can sing, he can play the bass, he can play the guitar, he can engineer and produce, and he also understands the music biz very well. John and Guthrie have total faith in each other. And John's also a super nice guy who has a youthful enthusiasm and passion about all aspects of music: writing, producing and live performance. I never got the sense from John that he was in it just for the money. John really loves what he's doing.

At the same time, John's a veteran of the so-called "music biz", so he knows the ins and outs of how it churns and turns. So I feel very relieved that Guthrie has someone like John who can help him navigate the treacherous world of the music industry. The more I think about the whole thing, the better I feel.

I think we can expect a lot of great things from this band in the future. Who does John prefer to work with? I think this new band answers that question very well. Guthrie is growing by leaps and bounds as not only a ridiculously talented all-around guitar player, but as an all-around musician who's only starting to enter his creative peak - which may last for decades to come. I'm starting to feel very good about this whole thing now.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Tanya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
I couldn't have said it better myself !!
I have a firm belief in John Payne ,Guthrie and Jay - the future's looking very bright Smile

Tanya
treeduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ONE album is already done and ready for release I wonder when it was recorded? Wasn't guthrie busy touring last year and doing the offical Asia album not to mention putting the finishing touches to his own album...?
wire_frame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they used the material written for the next Asia album for the One album.
Tanya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My information on the ONE album is that it nearing completetion and has been recorded over the last month ,since the announcement of the reformation of the original Asia line up was made.
I doubt very much that any of the tracks were ever intended for use on any Asia album as they would not include Geoff Downes as writer.

Guthrie has indeed been very busy Smile

Tanya
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
My information on the ONE album is that it nearing completetion and has been recorded over the last month ,since the announcement of the reformation of the original Asia line up was made.
I doubt very much that any of the tracks were ever intended for use on any Asia album as they would not include Geoff Downes as writer.

Guthrie has indeed been very busy Smile

Tanya

You can say that again...
lewke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Loads of Material Reply with quote

I am sure that between the two of them (GG and JP), there is quite an impressive library to choose from when it comes to unpublished original music (especially considering the fact that they have both been under the proverbial "Asia" thumb so to speak over the past years). Now...we finally get to see Guthrie and John in full form; as already mentioned above, I am very excited indeed.

They have been recording like animals, (we called JP two weeks ago and he was in the middle of sessions then, adding that they were going quite well, he sounded very enthusiastic).

Having the added bonus of JP owning his own personal recording facility in California, really completes the picture on how they are all accomplishing this wonderous feat of timely project closure. Coupled with the fact that GG is the true monster guitar machine epitomized, who can easily improv his way around anything, and come off sounding like he has been writing for months, just throws additional icing on the upcoming musical treats we are all drooling to get our hands on. If the world only knew...sigh.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... It seems that things have all worked out for the best. It seems we'll finally see loads of recorded materials come out from Guthrie in the coming year. I know that it's been a long time coming, but if we waited this long, we can wait a little longer. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Bode

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting with baited breath Smile

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
treeduck

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this album is still being released as planned? I can't see any sign of it anywhere yet. Anyone got any updates?
Tanya

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This update was posted on John Payne's website (www.johnpaynemusic.com) last week :

The new studio album from John, Guthrie Govan, and Jay Schellen is in the final mixing stages and nearing completion. Harder edged than previous material we've heard the trio play, it still delivers the progressive style we've come to expect. Once completed, we'll post album name, track names, and soundbytes on the band's new web site.

So it looks like the album won't be too long now. Also,there is a question over the name of he band.It was to be called ONE but is likely to be changed as there is at least one other band using the same name.

Tanya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: