Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - legato
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

legato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: legato Reply with quote

hi im new to this forum and im just getting into guthrie of gt mags. i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on legato and how to sound smooth when i play.
thanx
seaweed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow Australian...

Excellent..
nielsri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: legato Reply with quote

To play legato (smoothly) try using more hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides and less picking.

I find the easiest way to use these techniques is to play with the three notes-per-string scale/mode shapes (there are seven of them which link together, covering the fretboard), as these give plenty of scope for developing legato finger patterns which can move between shapes.

Thats just my opinion though!
Esperanto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always wondered if its better for the legato to come from only finger movement, or kind of "roll" your hand the directiong of the legato while still using your finger muscles
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a discussion about this a year ago i think. search the forum and you'll find it. there are a bunch different approaches to legato, and guthrie actually inspired me to change my technique a bit. from a more light handed, smooth legato (the garsed/holdsworth sound [although they don't necesarily play light handed]), to a more brutal and snappy style ŕ la guthrie. he really digs into those strings and makes the notes pop out. not what your regular teacher would advise, but neither would he advise you to mainly use three fingers ... Very Happy

rick graham and bode here on the forum are great legato players. no one should need to seek advice about legato further away than those guys.

LR1400

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie Kotzen also use the same technique as Guthrie as opposed to the lighter style. Kotzen will do many runs (mainly descending) where he doesn't pick at all. Kotzen also uses 11's so that may have a something to do with it. I use the smae approach as Kotzen and Guthrie.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i forgot to mention the obvious: kotzen (a huge influence as well). talk about muscular playing! he's one of the legato kings ... amongst other things.

Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

Esperanto wrote:
ive always wondered if its better for the legato to come from only finger movement, or kind of "roll" your hand the directiong of the legato while still using your finger muscles

Sorry to be a cocky bastard, but you dont have any muscles in your fingers, there all tendons. Im sorry, i hate it when people do stuff like this to me but i couldnt resist. But on the subject i think you can combine both depending on what part of the neck your working at, your gonna do it different 19th+ fret on the high e than 1st fret+ on the low e, so i reckon combinatrions of rolls and fingers could be the way forward there.
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your nickname is well deserved Laughing

although i only used "muscular playing"( well, you didn't quote me), which is a metaphor, you are of course right. although the muscles in your forearms are definitely of importance (duh!) ... well, i don't really care about the flesh that much.

more importantly though: i never intended to give a value judgement about different kinds of legato. if there's one thing that a guy like guthrie shows it is that there is no one right technique. i love the sound of allan h, garsed, srv, kotzen, guthrie, henderson, howe, bumblefoot, fuze ... and all their different legato techniques have inspired me.

BUT: i believe that guthrie actually has muscles in his fingers!

Yeah but guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT: i believe that guthrie actually has muscles in his fingers!

.[/quote]

Yeah i think your right there, ive seen him bench press 150kg's with his ring finger. true story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: