Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Musical Style
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Musical Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Musical Style Reply with quote

Obviously, when it comes to Guthrie, such terms as "amazing chops", "monster player" (or "sick player"), "incredible command of the instrument", etc. are often used to describe what he's doing. But I really think that's a very superficial way of looking at what Guthrie does. Of course Guthrie is or has all those things as a player and musician, but people tend to forget the music and the ideas and the inspiration behind it.

Let's face it: there are many "monster players" out there with "amazing chops". I'm quite sure that we're not here because of those reasons. I believe we're all here participating in this forum because Guthrie's musical style appeals to our musical sensibilities, not just because he blows us away with technique and mastery (which he, of course, does on a regular basis anyway).

We all like certain bands or singers or composers over others because we like their style. It's akin to our preferences for certain cuisine over others. I myself have thought about why I like Guthrie's style so much. Why am I enjoying Guthrie over guitarist A and guitarist B? For me, it's a certain melodic sense and his particular choice of notes in his playing, which, of course, is a rather difficult thing to describe.

Guthrie, as a soloist, is very melodic yet he ventures outside of the diatonic or pentatonic idioms with ease like a very well seasoned jazz guitarist. He maintains the traditional melodic flavors of rock, pop, and blues while using the jazz, "progressive", fusion, modern classical, and even World Music platforms to add distinct flavors that are decidedly advanced and challenging.

As Guthrie replied on the Questions thread, he has embraced everything from the Beatles to Coltrane to Parker to Stravinsky to Zappa. It's the musical languages that Guthrie speaks, that I believe, is what makes him so special and interesting to us - not just the mindblowing technique. The technique is simply a means to, not really an end, but an ever-continuing musical journey that really has no end.

So, tell us, what is it about his musical style that drew him into you? Let's forget about the technique and the mechanics in this thread. Who are some of your other influences and faves, especially non-guitar-related, and how do you see Guthrie fitting in with all these other musical styles you've come to love and enjoy?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how technically good a guitarist is, for some reason, the only ones I actually enjoy are those that have an element of humility to their playing. I don't have time for Yngwie Malmsteen, Neil Brocklebank etc., probably cos the ego seems to demand more attention than the music.

One major impression that I get from Guthrie is "Well...this is what I do...". Having chatted to the guy, he certainly is very humble about his playing, citing it as "Just a couple of tricks I picked up" (yeah -right! Wink )

Without a doubt, the track that has become a fast favourite with me is "Wonderful Slippery Thing", which was the track that won Guthrie the Guitarist of the year back in 19somethingsomething. The Cornford EP version has an amazingly smooth clean tone, and it's probably the solid, well-structured and nifty phrasing that impresses me more than the little flashes and dazzles, (but the flashes and dazzles are brilliant in themselves).

I think Guth is very aware of the pace in his phrasing too. Rather than shred for the hell of it, his music is controlled and allows breathing space - a quality rare in many famous shredders (mentioning no names whatsoever)

Also, it has to be said that Guth's brother Seth is an amazing bassist in his own right, and deserves recognition for his playing too!

Damn! I was born in the wrong family! Laughing

Any more gushing and I'm going to flood the house. Embarassed
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
19somethingsomething

A good year indeed...but not a great vintage for Chateauneuf-du-Pape...

Wink
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sets Guthire apart for me aside from his frightening ability it is that :

a) He's so humble about his abilities
b) He actually looks like he's enjoying himself (not many do these days)
c) He lets the other musicians play and doesn't hogg the limelight for himself.

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.

Last edited by WYNIR0 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guthrie's style is really melodic but not in a wimpy sort of way or contrived classcial sort of way. that's what's so cool. the lines are smooth but there is an edge to them. kinda like a sports car with great handling hugging the curves of a cliff road at high speeds! Twisted Evil
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
guthrie's style is really melodic but not in a wimpy sort of way or contrived classcial sort of way. that's what's so cool. the lines are smooth but there is an edge to them. kinda like a sports car with great handling hugging the curves of a cliff road at high speeds! Twisted Evil

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Another thing that I really enjoy in Guthrie's style is that tension in his lines. Sometimes he sounds like that he's going to veer off the cliff by making an unexpected turn and he's barely hanging on. The lines are not too on the beat with equal subdivisions of the notes. That's what makes the lines of players like Guthrie, Shawn Lane, and Metheny so interesting to listen to.

Also, Guthrie's lines at times can have a reckless abandon sort of an edge to them, which is really cool as well. He breaks up the fast scalar runs with jagged arpeggios progressing chromatically (up or down) and veers off outside of the key center as though he's about to lose control and then neatly returns to key and on the beat and you go, "Whew... Shocked " and the resolution is complete when you least expect it. I tell ya, those are kinds of the things that give me so much enjoyment in Guthrie's style and give me goose bumps. Twisted Evil
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
markmcg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Another thing that I really enjoy in Guthrie's style is that tension in his lines.

Yeah I agree with that, I also love the way his lines bubble along, just so 'fluid' Smile.

I'm a great fan of that 'fusion' sound, from players like Henderson, Howe, Gambale, Kotzen, Scofield etc. Coming from a Vai/Satch background these players' sound just jumped out at me and Mr Govan seems to have it all in his repetoire no doubt, as alexkhan said, from listening to a wide range of musical styles.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WYNIR0 wrote:
What sets Guthire apart for me aside from his frightening ability it is that :

a) He's so humble about his abilities
b) He actually looks like he's enjoying himself (not many do these days)
c) He lets the other musicians play and doesn't hogg the limelight for himself.

Ditto on alll these points. You talk to him for a few minutes and you quickly forget about his phenomenal abilities and it feels like you're talking to an old friend you hadn't seen in years and you're just having a nice conversation about what's been going on in each other's lives. Very fun to chat with as Guthrie is also highly intelligent about other things going on in this world besides music.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markmcg wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Another thing that I really enjoy in Guthrie's style is that tension in his lines.

Yeah I agree with that, I also love the way his lines bubble along, just so 'fluid' Smile.

I'm a great fan of that 'fusion' sound, from players like Henderson, Howe, Gambale, Kotzen, Scofield etc. Coming from a Vai/Satch background these players' sound just jumped out at me and Mr Govan seems to have it all in his repetoire no doubt, as alexkhan said, from listening to a wide range of musical styles.

Hey Mark, I agree with you as well. As Guthrie posted on some of his answers, it's obvious he never made a conscious effort to master all these different styles for the sake of doing so, but to play them because he genuinely enjoys all those styles. And that's why he sounds so good when he plays them all. He didn't learn jazz or country or funk or the Delta blues or whatever because he felt like they needed to be "mastered" or "conquered" like so many studio players do, but because he really loves the good in all of those styles and it really shows in his playing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I particularly love is Guthrie's country runs he throws in on the end solo of the DVD. I can't get enough of that. I really hope there is a country number on his solo cd. Any possibility of that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: