Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Do you use any of these philostophies/thinkologies?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you use any of these philostophies/thinkologies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which method?
Derivative
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Relative
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Lydian Dominant
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Common Tone
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Instinct
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Another
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

frankus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Do you use any of these philostophies/thinkologies? Reply with quote

I got few choice morsels of theory brain candy from a guy on another forum. It cited 4 different approaches to improvising over chords.. or relating chords to scales/modes.

Does anyone use them and have any strong feelings about which is better in some situations and why?

I have the power!
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instinct for me.

I am primarily an improvisor, yet my music theory knowledge is microscopic verging upon the non-existant.

I didn't even understand several of the poll options!

I slide up the notes quietly until I get in the right key, and then just go for it! These days, if I know the key prior to starting (like Fink's Am backing track on the afore-mentioned other forum) then I can usually go to the "right" note straight away, as my knowledge of the fretboard IS improved greatly upon my first 12 or so years of guitar playing!
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain what each appoach is? For example Lydian Dom is a mode of the melodic minor scale. How is that an appoach to improv?
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be totally wrong here, but I think Frankus may be referring to an approach John Petrucci (and probably others) takes to improvising over a chord progression which has a non-diatonic chord in it, namely by playing the Lydian Dominant of the root of said chord when it comes up (so if your non-diatonic chord has a C root, you'd play C Lydian Dominant, or some such). I think that's what he means - when it comes to this sorta stuff, I understand all the individual words in a sentence, but have difficulty understanding them when they're all joined up.

So I think the question may relate to if you have any improvisational devices to aid you when a situation comes up with which you're not totally comfortable when improvising.

Now if you'll excuse me, thinking of theory has made my head hurt, so I'm going to go lie down.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn how can I maintain the illusion of misunderstood evil insane genius when you ask for clarification.. it'll soon become apparent I'm a gibbering fool...

I meant the Lydian Chromatic, to be honest I've never heard of it before, but I think it starts with the assumption that lydian should be the key center not ionian, which certainly simplifies the modes when you write out the C ionian, C dorian, C lydian etc.. they'll all stack up behind the lydian on a cycle of fifths. Obviously to a musicians ear the lydian is pushing to go round another 5th..

I'm currently writing an evil uber Perl script to unlock all the secrets of the derivative system.. muh hah ha ha ha hah.. hmm.. anyway.. so that's why the phrasing was sketchy.. I apologise Wink

Derivitive is using related scale structures to apply to chords like Emily Remler and her "play the melodic minor starting from a fifth above root" over a static dominant chord, play the melodic minor up a semitone from the root position for functioning dominant chords. It's like memorising a list of mappings: for that chord think this scale starting on that note, stuff. Eg: for B flat 7 play F melodic minor.

Parallel is using the modes of scales to apply to the chord, so you'll end up playing the super locrian mode or lydian dominant mode over the functioning or static dominant chord, respectively. You use the mode starting off the root note of the chord you're playing over. Eg. For B flat 7 play Bb lydian dominant.

I'm really sorry if this isn't clear.. I'm trying to communicate and not grandstand .. honest mister.

The Lydian Chromatic is totally new and I'm trying to find out about it. The example says for B flat 7 play A flat lydian augmented. (but that scale is not a million miles from the marva raga scale Sad )

Lastly the common tone theory seems to be match a mode or scale to the common tones of the chords using the key signature as a reference point. So C dorian, C ionian, C mixolydian, C jazz minor should (according to my calculations) all work over D minor in the key of C.

Is this any clearer.. or am I still naval gazing in a cul-de-sac?

I have the power!
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
am I still naval gazing in a cul-de-sac?

Uhm...... In my case.......... YES!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these concepts are way beyond what I can apply in my playing. I understand how they can be used, but a lot of practice will be needed (at least for me!) to grasp each one of them and actually apply on top of a given piece of music. About the only concepts I could probably use are common tones, a little bit of parallel and perhaps a tad of derivative. I wish I had the time to practice such things... Sad
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Goddamn how can I maintain the illusion of misunderstood evil insane genius when you ask for clarification.. it'll soon become apparent I'm a gibbering fool...

I meant the Lydian Chromatic, to be honest I've never heard of it before, but I think it starts with the assumption that lydian should be the key center not ionian, which certainly simplifies the modes when you write out the C ionian, C dorian, C lydian etc.. they'll all stack up behind the lydian on a cycle of fifths. Obviously to a musicians ear the lydian is pushing to go round another 5th..

I'm currently writing an evil uber Perl script to unlock all the secrets of the derivative system.. muh hah ha ha ha hah.. hmm.. anyway.. so that's why the phrasing was sketchy.. I apologise Wink

Derivitive is using related scale structures to apply to chords like Emily Remler and her "play the melodic minor starting from a fifth above root" over a static dominant chord, play the melodic minor up a semitone from the root position for functioning dominant chords. It's like memorising a list of mappings: for that chord think this scale starting on that note, stuff. Eg: for B flat 7 play F melodic minor.

Parallel is using the modes of scales to apply to the chord, so you'll end up playing the super locrian mode or lydian dominant mode over the functioning or static dominant chord, respectively. You use the mode starting off the root note of the chord you're playing over. Eg. For B flat 7 play Bb lydian dominant.

I'm really sorry if this isn't clear.. I'm trying to communicate and not grandstand .. honest mister.

The Lydian Chromatic is totally new and I'm trying to find out about it. The example says for B flat 7 play A flat lydian augmented. (but that scale is not a million miles from the marva raga scale Sad )

Lastly the common tone theory seems to be match a mode or scale to the common tones of the chords using the key signature as a reference point. So C dorian, C ionian, C mixolydian, C jazz minor should (according to my calculations) all work over D minor in the key of C.

Is this any clearer.. or am I still naval gazing in a cul-de-sac?

In other words....dominant chords are fun for children of all ages...hehe
shredguitar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
Uhm...... In my case.......... YES!

I feel your pain DB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I'll get my coat...

I just got handed an essay discussing each style and I guess I use a bit of each, but mostly common tone. I was curious as to what techniques people used, I want to research each more thoroughly, as I never realised they were distinct, it would certainly simplify learning them.

I have the power!
jason.morris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mixed bag for me.

Usually parallel, particularly if I'm on the chord for a period of time - but sometimes derivative, particularly if using a substituted pentatonic scale, or a minor/major 7 arpeggio a semitone up from the root of a functioning dominant chord for example.
M@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one of my former jazz teachers showed me the "play a Melodic Minor scale one fret up from a dominant seventh chord" trick it really blew my mind. It was like all of a sudden I could understand (and digest) what Robben Ford was playing to get that real tension when moving from the I-7th chord up to the IV-7th chord - Hallelujah!!!

And of course, using tri-tone substition by playing the Melodic Minor starting from the 5th of the I-7th chord works just as sweet (i.e. over G7 you can play Ab Melodic Minor and/or D Melodic Minor when moving into a C7 chord - I-7th to IV-7th).

I think this is what Frankus is referring to as static dominants (for vamping) and functioning dominants (for resolving). The book "Inner jazz: Creative substitution principles for melodic improvisation" by Les Wise gives a good explanation.

I haven't checked out the Emily Remler video yet. I do remember I was going to see one of her gigs in Sydney, Australia, but unfortunately she died of a Heroin overdose the night before... Sad
EricT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mixed bag, for sure. That's because I've learned theory from several different places. For V7 chords, I think super locrian, but I think maj7 arpeggio down a whole step. And sometimes I think(or rather hear) chord tones, like "oh, a #9 fits here". Other times I think tone center scale with chromatics added, i.e. on a II-V-I in C, I'll use C ionian and just add other notes as I see fit(Jimmy Bruno's approach, I think)...
It's a trainwreck of different approaches, and a lot of times it sounds like one as well!
M@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think as musicians we tend pick up bits and pieces along the way. The possibilities are limitless (that's why we love it so much, right?).

One really cool book I'd like to share that I've been going thru of late is "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine. It lays down a lot of the great ideas from the past legends in a nice digestible format. Everything from the basics thru to Advanced Reharmonization, Outside Playing, Coltrane Changes and song form.

The book really helps to put things back into perspective - almost overstating the obvious. On the topic of outside playing he says "play with authority" (i.e. don't be wimpy when you wanna play outside) and tells us to remember the formula "inside-outside-inside" when soloing, giving lot's of examples of the great players on just how to do it.
James W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cop out and use instinct Embarassed ... conviction helps Laughing

... James xXxXxXxXxX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: