Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Suhr Site - New Section on Guthrie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Suhr Site - New Section on Guthrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: New Suhr Site - New Section on Guthrie Reply with quote

Well, you now know why you haven't been seeing much of me around here lately:

www.suhrguitars.com

And here's the section on Guthrie:

http://www.suhrguitars.com/artists.aspx?artist=govan

I've been putting in some really long hours to get this done. It's still Phase 1 and there'll be much more content being added as time goes by - especially with an expanded photo gallery with a pro photo studio setup right inside the shop to take great photos of every guitar being shipped and a bunch of new sound clips from the likes of Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, Kirk Fletcher, Steve Hunter, Robert Marcello, etc. There'll be new video clips of Al Estrada doing the VH tribute stuff and of Nick Sterling as well. Enjoy!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dominique1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a great website, but this can't be right
Quote:

Ed joined Suhr Guitars in July, 2006

http://www.suhrguitars.com/staff.aspx#EY

BTW is it maybe possible for you to put media files into openformats like Ogg, which is freely avaible for everyone to use and so that also people with other operating systems besides Windows and OSX can legaly view your files and don't have to resort to illegal codecs (which we don't want and I certainly don't do)?
markmcg

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic upgrade to the website...love the new galleries.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dominique1 wrote:
It's really a great website, but this can't be right
Quote:

Ed joined Suhr Guitars in July, 2006

http://www.suhrguitars.com/staff.aspx#EY

BTW is it maybe possible for you to put media files into openformats like Ogg, which is freely avaible for everyone to use and so that also people with other operating systems besides Windows and OSX can legaly view your files and don't have to resort to illegal codecs (which we don't want and I certainly don't do)?

That was corrected and some other typos and bugs are still in the process of being corrected. It was supposed to go live on Monday but the webmaster put it up this morning since it takes 24 hours for the new IP to be moved over to the domain name on all the different servers, so some people are getting the new site and some are still getting the old site.

I'm not sure what you mean by Ogg. I've asked our web guy to look into that. He says he wasn't sure by what you meant either.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markmcg wrote:
Fantastic upgrade to the website...love the new galleries.

Thanks. The Gallery will get huge as time goes by. As far as I'm concerned, the site is not 1/10th of where I want it to be. It'll be a continuing work in progress.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Onion

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

site looks good. Cool

all about .ogg

http://www.vorbis.com/faq/#what
sumis

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations! great work. sure, still things to do, but it's already a great site. the structure is really well planned.

cool.

frankus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dominique1 wrote:

A MASSIVE congratulations on the web-site it's been thoroughly dragged out of the 90s now! There is so much more information at people's fingertips I'd love to know how soon it starts having an effect on the sales. (The guitars sell themselves but that site certainly makes choosing stuff brilliant, the sheer amount of content over the last site is a major success and shows someone's been pretty canny in choosing what goes in. Wink

With regard to the Ogg Vorbis codec, I don't think Winblows ships with an ogg codec so for the great unwashed there's going to be a lot of activity before they can download the files, as far as I know MP3 is not an illegal codec, the software to encrypt to MP3 may be proprietary but the codecs are not.

I use the Debian Sid version of Linux on my Laptop and home servers, and I ran Familliar Linux on my Ipaq for a few years, all of them had MP3 players on them, both on the command line and in xmms, despite the ARM architecture of the Ipaq requiring no floating point arithmetic Wink .. what operating system are you using whereby the defacto web sound file format doesn't play nicely?

Whilst OGG is a good format that compresses better than MP3 and doesn't clip the higher and lower registers, I don't think legality is a problem in playing back MP3s although it is when encrypting them, but then the same is true using jpeg graphics files.. are we going to tell Ed to use PNG files too?

The only thing I noticed really which may well be a deliberate user interface thing is that the artist links on the default page are not underlined... then I find that it's all one link to the artist page so you wouldn't want the underlining disappaearing in one go.

Brilliant work Ed Cool

I have the power!
dominique1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use Slack and Debian etch. My problem is not so much with MP3, but with for instance WMV and MOV. As far as I know their are no GPL/OpenSource drivers/codecs for this format, you have the codecs from mplayerhq.hu, but they are as far as I know not legal.
I once tried these illegal (before I knew) codecs and they do not work properly. Try for instance a couple of the the Guthrie videos in MOV-format on the tonemerchants site, they skip (not all of them) in both video and sound, this also happens with WMV.
And yes I would also recommend PNG Very Happy
I don't know if Suhr pays any money for using MP3, JPEG, WMV(?) or MOV(?), but if your not using a Fender headstock because of the possible lawsuit, then why use MP3, JPEG, WMV(?) or MOV(?)...well because not a lot of people know about this and because you and I brought this up...we might have educated some people a bit Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay fair does, with all the mention of Ogg I assumed it had to be audio codecs as that's what Ogg is.

Suhr will probably be using a graphics suite like Photoshop and therefore storing things in jpeg is the responsibility of the company manufacturing the graphics software. The same for the mp3s the recording software or decryption sfotware will take the onus.

To follow the headstock analogy it'd be like the maker of the CNC mill paying Fender a royalty to recreate the headstock, daft when the CNC has such a broad range of uses but not so when the graphics package was such a small range of output formats.

As for the WMV and MOV formats, I keep my lappy dual boot for this reason, well more so for stylesheets and web compatability than videos. I suppose either Real or Quicktime would be the sensible formats, BUT I do think the idea of converting all the files to a common cross platform format to suit all operating systems will be very intensive work to appease a very small following.

In 1999 I was a very vocal proponent of non-proprietary file formats but by 2001 I was very much of the mind that I wasn't going to ask for people's assistance in making my OS play with everyone elses.. be that IMAP, DHCP, File formats etc. It was my job to find a way to make it work by contributing to the projects.

I love PNG too, but the fact is the Suhr site used to be about 6 pages, now look at it. Wow! The major battle has been fought and won: content.

All the other issues are just little skirmishes that can play themselves out. I'd be happier if it was Ruby Rails on Apache 2 and not Asp on IIS but even Micro$oft can be used for good sometimes Wink

Before there's a battle over formats howabout the footwork to reinforce that the interweb can sell stuff and interaction on the internet and communities assist sales. By creating more depth to the site I reckon more people will bookmark the site and spread the name of Suhr. You know it'd be an ideal time to make a poking gesture Guthrie-wards and wonder if he'll follow suit by upping the amount of web content he provides on the site.

..you could try and shame him by saying that Suhr has more details on Guthrie than http://www.guthriegovan.co.uk/ or even http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guthrie_Govan Laughing

I have the power!
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The page is looking top! keep up the good work Ed Smile
M@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the Suhr site looks professional!

Good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: