Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Transcriptions of solos from "Creative Guitar" CD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcriptions of solos from "Creative Guitar" CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Transcriptions of solos from "Creative Guitar" CD Reply with quote

Greetings,
I recently picked up both GG Creative Guitar books and I'm definitely excited to dig in. I'm chugging along with the various exercises in Book I, and also working with the backing tracks on the CD. I realize that the intent of the backing tracks is to work on implementing Guthrie's suggested soloing approaches, but wow, some of his demo solos are pretty sweet. While I can cop some of the solos, there are definitely sections where his moves are way outside and I don't have a clue what he's doing. So I was wondering if there were any transcriptions of the solos from the books floating around? That would be a very nice addition to the books and I'd gladly pay some additional loot to get them.
Bert
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in as someone who has both books, loves them, and would also fork over some $$$ for transcriptions of the solos!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list even though I'm still waiting for my copies of these books (finally!) to come in from Elderly. Seems Guthrie's got another transcribing gig brewing here!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know others might be interested. If we reached "critical mass" in terms of numbers, then it might happen.

Incidentally, what first got me wondering about whether there might be transcriptions for the Creative Guitar books was Guthrie's tutorial at Lick Library. I assumed that everyone here would be familiar with it, but a quick search didn't pop up any hits. So just in case, it's called "Guthrie's Guide-Chromatic Licks" and includes a very nice discussion of chromatic passing notes in soloing, accompanied by downloadable tab, mp3 solo, and mp3 backing track (all free!). This was a very helpful find and I'm still working on it. I won't give the link here, because it's a commercial site and I'm not sure that's allowed in this forum. But like I said this particular lesson is a freebie.
Bert
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The transcriptions of the solos were published at Guitar Techniques magazine as Govan´s Columns, they are a great tool to improve the guitar playing.

See you,
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Transcriptions Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've got every Guitar Techniques Mag, more or less. So i have all his transcriptions.

Let me know what tracks you'd like and i'll see what i can do for you. Also got tons of other stuf of him too. I promised him i'd send him a DVD i've got of him too, of a gig he did with Richie Kotzen, sorry Guthrie i forgot!! ha ha
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's Transcriptions Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:
Hey guys. I've got every Guitar Techniques Mag, more or less. So i have all his transcriptions.

Let me know what tracks you'd like and i'll see what i can do for you. Also got tons of other stuf of him too. I promised him i'd send him a DVD i've got of him too, of a gig he did with Richie Kotzen, sorry Guthrie i forgot!! ha ha

Please try and post what you can PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!
stratoskier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Guitar Techniques website, and it didn't appear that they web-publish the older transcriptions. I'd try and order the back issues, but I wasn't able to figure out what issues had the particular transcriptions from the Creative Guitar books.

So Wrighty-boyo, if you might be able to do some scans, I'd gladly pay you for your time and costs. This probably isn't something to pursue in an open forum, since there might be some copyright issues, but I'd definitely like to get them. In Book I, tracks 1, 3, and 7 would be tops on my list. But actually, I'd like them all except perhaps Track 2 (the African one) and Track 9 (which is more-or-less included in the book anyway).

Or... (open request to Guthrie), is there anyway the man himself might be able to supply the book track transcriptions directly?

Let me know!
Bert
stratoskier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep harping on this same thread, but... I exchanged emails with Guitar Techniques and they can't seem to tell me what back issues had the transcriptions corresponding to the transcriptions in the Creative Guitar books. So could anyone here tell me what issues I'm looking for? Or (even better), is anyone able to provide the transcriptions?
Thanks!
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could tell me what the names of the tracks are (eg African Style etc) and i'll try and dig them out for you.

Im not gonna take any money for this, its not my work after all!!

I'd like Guthries permission first though, so i'll contact him and let you know what he says.

Cheers
sixStringScotian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to drudge up such an old post but have these tabs ever been made available?
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna say guthrie didnt like the idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: