Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - I'VE HEARD 'EROTIC CAKES'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'VE HEARD 'EROTIC CAKES'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredizalive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: I'VE HEARD 'EROTIC CAKES'!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Please don't hate me....

I have HEARD the ENTIRE GUTHRIE GOVAN - EROTIC CAKES CD over the weekend. and I'm still in awe. My friend, Rob Balducci (fellow Cornford Endorsee) has the disc and all I can say is.....

IT IS BEYOND YOUR EXPECTATIONS!!!! THE SONGS, PRODUCTION, PLAYING AND ARRANGEMENTS ARE SIMPLY AMAZING AND IT WILL STAY IN YOUR CD PLAYER FOR SOME TIME.

All the best to you all and the moment this thing is out, I'm picking up a few copies.
treeduck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: I'VE HEARD 'EROTIC CAKES'!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

shredizalive wrote:
Please don't hate me....

I have HEARD the ENTIRE GUTHRIE GOVAN - EROTIC CAKES CD over the weekend. and I'm still in awe. My friend, Rob Balducci (fellow Cornford Endorsee) has the disc and all I can say is.....

IT IS BEYOND YOUR EXPECTATIONS!!!! THE SONGS, PRODUCTION, PLAYING AND ARRANGEMENTS ARE SIMPLY AMAZING AND IT WILL STAY IN YOUR CD PLAYER FOR SOME TIME.

All the best to you all and the moment this thing is out, I'm picking up a few copies.

Well give us more info mate, song titles, a review, something...blarrrgghhh when can we get it ???

Shocked Confused Surprised Twisted Evil
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hate you, but forgiveness will be forthcoming when you give more info!
shredizalive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here is what I wrote down for notes:

Songs are:

1. Waves
2. Erotic Cakes
3. Wonderful Slippery Thing
4. Ner Ner
5. Fives
6. Uncle Skunk
7. Sevens
8. Eric
9. Slidey Boy
10. Rhode Island Shred
11. Hangover

The production is extremely crisp and was done at Richie Kotzen's Headroom Studios in L.A.

Guthrie's tone is really captured on this disc and the overall impression I get is that he spent a good deal of time refining the arrangements of each track. The songs have an 'in-studio' live feel, with a slew of overdubs by Guthrie and ALOT of tonal variation from track to track, so all you audiophiles will be thrilled.

Waves is absolutely amazing and it sounds like he used his Strat on this track or maybe even the Tele (all Suhr of course!!!).

All I can remember from the 4 listens I gave it (I could not get a copy, though I did threaten Rob with severe torture, but he was vigilant in protecting the goods). Good for him, because we all need to give GG all the support on this record.

Yes, the artwork is the UGLY thing most of you have seen on this forum, but there are song by song 'notes' from Guthrie explaining what/why he wrote each track. Also a complete breakdown of amps/guitars/effects used on each track.

I must say, this was one of the coolest discs I've heard all year and it is SO WORTH the wait. TRUST ME, this will stay in the CD players for a LONG TIME TO COME.

I hope this helps (and wets your appetites even more). In a way I wish I didn't hear it, because now all I want to do is hear it again....and again....and again.

it's on Cornford Records I guess, from what I saw.
Onion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool Cool amazing, cant wait ect....... Cool Cool
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shredizalive, thanks for the report. It is very exciting, isn't it? Cool It's something we'll be able to brag about many years from now: "We knew Guthrie long before his first album came out!" Laughing

The guitar parts were recorded last August in LA, so Guthrie didn't have his Tele back then. The single-coil sounds were from his Ocean Turquoise Classic with the SSC.

I plan to buy a bunch of copies and hand 'em out to family members and friends as gifts. I just know that even casual music fans who couldn't care less about guitar virtuosity will appreciate and enjoy it very much.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, finally!! I can't believe the album is almost here! It feels like we've waited an eternity. I know the album is going to be fantastic.
shredizalive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed,

I agree, I feel a bit 'lucky' to have heard this piece of beauty, and yes, it's nice to be one of the true 'diehards'. His playing just floors me and it makes me happy to see such a buzz for an artist such as Guthrie.

I am in the process of recording my first CD, but that will take a bit more time because I am doing the bulk of the tracking myself. I still need to get that Suhr again. I will have to do some 'creative' financing on that one....hehe.

Anyway, the disc was great, and I hope there is some CLEAR idea where to get it. Will it be through Cornfords Website, or sold by GG himself?

To all who view this thread, rest assured, the DISC EXISTS!!!! I've seen the actual pressing of it, artwork/CD and all and it's done. I believe it's only a matter of time for the release now. I know, it's almost to much to bare waiting this long, but it's SO worth it. I was just sitting back with my jaw on the ground over the tunes.

All the best to everyone on the forum.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Paul C is working on the mass distribution of the album now. I'd imagine it'll be available on places like Amazon, Abstract Logix, Guitar9, and other online retailers. I'm sure some licensing deals would have to be worked out (if they haven't already) for distribution in different countries to get them into the record stores and other outlets, etc. That's a lot of work. I'm curious what kind of distribution it'll have here in the States but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm sure Paul will work it all out for the best. Smile This album definitely needs more outlets than just Guthrie's own site and/or the Cornford site.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info Shredz and you too Ed for the well-informed and reassuring speculation...

I literally can't wait...

Surely it can't be too much longer can it?

Confused Shocked Very Happy
Delicato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info Shredz and you too Ed for the well-informed and reassuring speculation...

I literally can't wait...

Surely it can't be too much longer can it?

+very very much
Dee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. I cannot wait for this CD, I know it's gonna be smoking! I must admit, I have heard one track from it. No track names or people's names mentioned, but if the rest of the album is as good as the track I heard, this record will KILL!

Smile
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guthrie is going to go down really well over in the U.S. Many fans over there of his work!!! Loads of John Petrucci fans wait in anticipation for the finished project.

http://66.179.182.17/forums/showthread.php?t=37092&highlight=Guthrie+Govan

I've personaly had Doug Doppler ask me about Guthrie & what was the deal with this player. Doug was taught by Satch & took over his teaching studio when Satch went big time. Of course I biged up Guthrie along the lines of...if you can think it...the guy can play it. + Oh & I was taught by him. Just had to put that one in.lol Couldn't help it.lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkzmle08l8c

Carn't wait for the new album. I must say your very lucky to have heard the whole album!!! NICE!!!!!

Err.. I'd like to get mine signed.

FRET. Wink
owenvaughan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had an advance copy for a couple of weeks, for review and interview purposes. It is a truly great album - and one that should go down as a milestone instrumental record.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owenvaughan wrote:
Have had an advance copy for a couple of weeks, for review and interview purposes. It is a truly great album - and one that should go down as a milestone instrumental record.

I hate to sound like the proverbial broken record Razz but any idea when it's coming out Mr Owen "interview/review guy" Vaughan? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: